• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handgun question as related to tac matches...

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    I've noticed that a number of match schedules state that there will be hand gun portions of the matches.

How are handguns typically used in the stages in tac matches?

About a million yrs ago I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC but haven't shot a stage since the early 90s. (for the record I used to run a 1911 45, iron sights and a comp, not a space gun rig) I left the game long before there were classes in USPSA/IPSC or IDPA came along.

Are the side arms limited as to sights? Do matches typically have the power factor calcs or are pretty much what ever you want to shoot?

Are the stages usually set up where a pistol with a comp and high cap mag are an advantage?

Thanks

Really depends on the match. Have shot some where you needed a lot of rounds and some where you only needed a few. Have shot 6 round mover stages at matches and also some close to 30 round jungle run type stages. Some matches limit pistols as in sights so Open USPSA guns couldn't be used but it's up to the match.

I would say use what you like and have as long as it's in the rules. Don't usually have power factors so most shoot 9mm double stacks like Glocks but I have seen 1911's and 2011s. You have to remember it might be covered with dirt and dust and maybe get wet so bring something reliable.

First combo match I ran, I carried my 5" 1911 with 10 Rd mags. No issues were noted other than I needed more practice. Targets were steel and most if not all just needed to be hit not knocked down. My latest experience was a pistol on paper target deal and I carried my G19 this go around. Two hits anywhere on thr tombstone target to neutralize.
    It really is up to the MD but for the most part the pistol side of things are fairly straight forward and generally aren't worth a lot of overall points, that being said in some matches podium finishes can be decided by points or even fractions of points.

Hope this helps

AS

Precision rifle matches that include pistol are all a little different but, as a general rule, bring something that is reliable under less than optimum conditions (as Rob said) and something that you're comfortable shooting safely. Power factors are seldom a consideration other than your rounds need to be able to knock steel targets down (poppers & plates). 9mm is generally considered to be the minimum caliber you'll want to use.

Unless magazine capacity is stipulated in the rules, more rounds in your pistol are always a good thing. If you're going to shoot a single stack 1911, be sure you don't miss! Eric (Alabama Shooter) is a manly shooter who's not afraid to shoot his single stack:) Be sure to read the match rules to assure you're in compliance with regs. Some matches don't allow comps or red dot sights on pistols.

If you're rusty competing with your pistol, find a local IDPA or IPSC match to shoot. Attend with the idea to have fun and knock the dust off of your competitive pistol skills.

I've only shot a couple of pistol stages in matches, but what I failed to consider in practice was that my rifle would be slung up while shooting the pistol. That changes things a bit.