• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Handheld Ballistics Calculator

.375Mojave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Who makes a reasonably priced handheld ballistics calculator to do the math for long range shot?

I know there are Droid and iphone downloads but I think I would rather have a dedicated unit.

Thanks,

Re: Handheld Ballistics Calculator

Anyone have any experience with the G7 BR2?

It is an all in one rangefinder and ballistic calculator good to 2,000 yards. You enter your data (bullet type, temperature, elevation, etc) and take the range reading and it spits out a range setting.

Seems interesting and not all that expensive. I would be interested to hear if anyone has used one.

You could pick up an iPod Touch used for $50-75 and have it for other purposes. Then purchase Ballistic for $10. The only downside to any device like that is battery life. But I used to get 2 days or more out in the field between charges by turning off wi-fi. There's no need to pay any monthly fees as with a full-on smartphone.

I have a Droid but battery life concerns me. Still waiting to hear from anyone who has used the G7 device from Gunwerks.

Those guys seem to have the system down, but advertising is advertising so I would like to hear from a real user.

Ipods are cheap and they work, two of the best programs out there run on them.
JBM and Bullet Flight. I don't believe Bullet Flight has DA. Some one may correct me if I am wrong. (corrected)

Bigwheeler, Nightforce's ballistic program is available for the iPod Touch? I have not been able to find it in the app store. What do they call the program on there?

Knights Armement , "Bullet Flight". Sorry I mixed it up. Bullet flight now works
on androids as well. I like the JBM better myself after looking at bullet flight on
my friends. They spew the same data and each has it's better points. Data entry on
the JBM took a bit to get used to for me. Very little written instructions available.

the bullet flight app you talk about will it work on a IPod touch in

the field with out wifi

Yes it works in the field. You enter the weather data. I think the phone will dial it
but the ipod doesn't anyway.

I'm running a Gen 3 Ipod Touch with bullet flight. The only downside is I also have a Black Berry. If I could replace them both with an iPhone I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'd rather not drop the coin on the new/used phone, that and I use T-Mobile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .375Mojave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes a reasonably priced handheld ballistics calculator to do the math for long range shot?

I know there are Droid and iphone downloads but I think I would rather have a dedicated unit.

Thanks,</div></div>

why would you rather have a dedicated unit?

Just a matter of convenience I guess. I realize it is a double edged sword in that it is a single point of failure but it would be nice to lug only one device into the field.

It seems the option would be a rangefinder, exterior ballistics calculator and met data device. G7 unit appears to do it all, but I have not had anyone give me any personal recommendation on that.

What do you use in the field in a hunting situation?

I don't think the Gunwerks is out yet.

Other units are, Bushnell has a range finder with ballistics, I think Zeiss does. These units are usually weak in terms of ballistics. They are really limited in their capacity compared to true ballistic calculators.

There are 2 dozen ways to skin this cat, and cost is usually pretty high for the limited capability of all in one units.

For a dedicated unit you'll read more on here with guys using Trimble Nomads with FFS then attaching a Vectronix PLRF to it along with a Bluetooth Kestrel than you will read about a one stop unit.

Barrett has the BORs, Zeiss the SAM, even those don't have the engine of an App. Basically almost everything is a trade off of some kind.

Running Exbal on a Palm works just fine, for about $140 including the unit.

I run FFS on a Nomad, but you can run Patagonia on a Nomad also. If you don't need GPS the older Recon units are affordable now. The battery life is excellent on both, and you can read the screen in bright sunlight.

I may go with a decent 1600 yard rangefinder, a Kestrel met data instrument and a good handheld that I can plug baseline data in and just update temps, range etc.

I was looking at a Lieca rangefinder. Just can't see spending the money on a Vectronix unit.

I appreciate the info.

Graham said:
Running Exbal on a Palm works just fine, for about $140 including the unit.

And I thought I was the last guy on earth running a Palm with Exbal.
wink.gif

I bought myself a "birthday present" last year in the form of a 5.11 H.R.T. Titanium watch.

It contains a version of the Horus Vision software. A couple of entries re the ammo, rifle, and scope (desired readout in clicks, SMOA, TMOA, or Mils) as well as slope, temp, wind speed/direction, distance, and you get the correction needed for an accurate first shot. For me, the info has been dead on with first shots on new target being within an inch or so of aim point.

It also tells time
cool.gif

I was shopping for a "Calculator" and found that I either needed to also get a phone, i-Pad, or palm pilot. This "watch" was only $250 in total and it sits right on my wrist, convenient and easy to use.

Deadshot,

Since you posted this have you had much chance to evaluate it?

If so what kind of results have you gotten and what are you shooting? This looks like a very interesting option.