• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handloading for an M1 Garand?

breachersup

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
New England
Hey All,

My apologies if this has been covered before--I tried a Google search with no luck.

I’m not new to shooting at all, but I’m brand new to reloading and as such, I really appreciate it if folks talk to me like I’m six years old when we talk reloading.

So I’d like to start hand loading .30-06 for an M1 Garand in pretty new condition (wanna save money here).
My question is:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Any recommendations for brass, a powder, primer, and bullet to use?</span>

If it helps with advising, I’ll be using an RCBS single stage press. (I think that’s the right terminology—I got that rock chucker supreme master reloader kit)

I’m assuming I want solid brass since it’s not being used in a bolt action, I want a powder that’s good for cycling autos, and I want some full metal jacket, or just barely hollow point style round for reliable cycling, but like I said, I don’t claim to know what I’m talkin about here.

Thanks in advance all,

Re: Handloading for an M1 Garand?

I've had my M1 Garand for a 1-2 years, and though I haven't shot it a whole lot, I've never fired a round in it that I hadn't handloaded myself.

To be on the safe side, I load ammo for it from data in the Hornady loading manual, and I haven't had any problems yet.

You can shoot the original 152 fmj M2 bullets and they are the least expensive from here:
http://www.gibrass.com/
or the 150gr. flat based hand pulled bullets from here:
http://www.polygunbag.com/bullets.html
I like Remington 9 1/2 primers in LC, Win, RP, or Greek HXP brass using 47-47.5 grains of IMR 4895 powder with either of the bullets listed above. Other good bullets I've tried are Hornady's 150fmj or their 150 SST which would also be a good hunting bullet. I load them with 47-47.5 grains of IMR 4895 also.
Or you can use info from the already mentioned sites with 168 grain match bullets. Stay with appropriate powders for the Garand and 150-170 grain bullets. Seating overall length depends on which bullet you use. Use Hornady recommended oal for their bullets. Make sure your primers are seated flush or below. A standard full-length 30-06 sizing die is all you need. Trim all cases to recommended lengths. Garand chambers tend to be on the long side of spec. I recommend a case gauge to measure the amount you push the shoulder back while sizing. If you push the shoulder back the maximum amount every sizing you can get case stretching and possible case separations. Garands are hard on brass often denting cases and dinging up the case rims. Have fun with your toy. A Garand is one of the most fun guns to shoot.

Try mil. ball cases with with IMR 4895 and SMK 168 GR. bullets not sure on load will work at 100 to 600 yrds.
Will try to find the load in my load books and post later

I've only been reloading for about 2 years, so my advice is limited.

I do think it'll be well worth your time to read the stickied threads on brass prep at the beginning of this forum if you haven't already. It helped my confidence when I first got started.

It's a little nerve wracking the first time, but after one or two batches it's easy. Just pay attention to what you're doing (translation, don't drink beer when measuring powder and seating) and get started.

In regards to Garand brass...get a case of M2 ball from CMP and shoot it up. Then use that brass.

I use an adjustable gas plug on mine. I don't shoot any comps, so it's not a legality issue. I could conceivably shoot ANY powder suitable for the .30-'06 using the gas plug, as I can regulate the amount of gas that drives the op rod, so I never need to worry about powder speed etc. That being said, I shoot for the time being, 49.5 gr Varget and a 210M in LC brass and a 168 SMK at around 2650 fps that is VERY accurate, even in my clumsy hands. I shoot this load in the '03A3 too.

By the way with that adjustable plug, I can get my brass in a pile as opposed to all over creation and have it really torn up to boot. The gas plug can be closed off for "full" gas, or open so it functions like a blot gun, or anywhere in between. Brass looks a lot nicer too.

Breachers up,

Read through this thread...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2599504

A lot of the load data out there for the Garand is needlessly conservative. The key to reloading for the Garand is to ensure that you do not exceed the design pressure of the op-rod...the Garand's Achilles hill.

While you'll never be able to "push" a Garand as hard as a 30-06 bolt rifle, you can get phenomenal performance out of it if you watch the muzzle pressures, and use faster to med burning powders like Hodgon's Benchmark, and H4895.

I'm currently trying to develop a load around 47.5 to 48.5gr Benchmark and 175SMKs. the muzzle pressure is only 7,910psi at the highest powder loading, far lower than you get if you use the reduced loads of IMR 4064 that abounds in most reloading manuals. Quickload predicts a muzzle velocity of 2,714ft/s with 48.5gr Benchmark + 175SMK.

Regards,

These are the loads listed on the CMP forums to duplicate the Hornadys garand match ammo. With a 168 amax. 3.25 col, hornadys brass and any primer you want. The Varget load is supposed to be the load they currently use. The hornady rep said that the VV powders gave the best results, but they had issues getting it reliably in the quantities they need. He also stated te N135 load was the most accurate across a wide variety of rifles of all the ones tested. It's very similar in rate to H4895, so you should be able to get somewhere from there. The N140 is close to RE15 as well. They have said they used RE15 for some lots as well, but I don't have any data on that.

46.5 Varget
46.0 N140
46.3 N135