• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hands on Origin/Nucleus at SHOT?

TimeWillTell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
OKC
Surprised I haven't seen a single post about people getting their hands on these two actions at SHOT. Was hoping to hear some reports!

I expect the Origin to feel just like a TL3 truthfully. Design doesn't seem all that different with the exception of the pinned lug. I'm interested to see how hard the Nucleus is to cock or if it's difficult at all.

My buddy was at Shot, and I asked him to handle both. He indicated that the Nucleus bolt lift is heavier than the Origin, although still fairly light. I've gotten in the on the preorder for both, so I'll get to see for myself when the time comes.

The bighorns have one of the easiest cock on open bolt lifts I’ve felt. It’s pretty effortless truthfully. So if the nucleus is a little heavier than that that’s not too bad.

I'm excited for the Nucleus. Along with the dual cocking ramps (something that I would've put on more actions a long time ago), he says that the spring is only a 12 pounder. With the way the striker assembly is designed, it's been consistently setting off CCI No.34 primers (mil-spec, so probably a harder cup than standard CCI's), but the lighter spring makes the cocking feel much lighter. Cocking force is also why it's a 72 degree bolt throw instead of a 60 degree. It's as short as he could go without seriously compromising the ramp geometry.

Reactions: D46Infinity
I played with the nucleus Tuesday. Lift did not feel stiffer than my Stiller Tac 30. I left wanting one.

I’m glad to read this. I felt more reassured about the bolt lift when I saw Ted’s video, but I still wanted to see someone else’s opinion. I’ve got one on order and the bolt lift was the only question mark I had.....everything else really checked the boxes for me.

I'm still trying to decide between these two. Don't think I could make a bad choice but still a hard decision. Still trying to find out if the Origin uses the same bayonet style shroud that makes changing bolt heads essentially tooless.

I'm still trying to decide between these two. Don't think I could make a bad choice but still a hard decision. Still trying to find out if the Origin uses the same bayonet style shroud that makes changing bolt heads essentially tooless.

Could have sworn that I saw it uses the same bolt heads so I would assume they go on the same way. But that's a great question.

I would think it does. It's definitely a hard choice between the two. If i had the money i'd go ahead and preorder a Nucleus but i truthfully dunno what i'd use it for besides a .223 trainer.

A buddy of mine who builds guns, and is not a fan of ARC or the mausingfield, put hands on a nucleus. He ordered one that day. Said it was a sweet feeling action.

I already have a tl3, and love it. Not super hot on the mausingfield. The nucleus was just too neat to ignore so I ordered one myself. According to the guys at the ARC booth, the pre-SHOT show preorders were so huge, they’re booked to the end of the year.

Reactions: 5RWill
A buddy of mine who builds guns, and is not a fan of ARC or the mausingfield, put hands on a nucleus. He ordered one that day. Said it was a sweet feeling action.

I already have a tl3, and love it. Not super hot on the mausingfield. The nucleus was just too neat to ignore so I ordered one myself. According to the guys at the ARC booth, the pre-SHOT show preorders were so huge, they’re booked to the end of the year.

I figured this would happen which makes me skeptical of the spring delivery time. I could be wrong on that part. Makes me wonder if i should've steered my brother towards the Nucleus for 100$ more. Idk if he would've gone for it. We had a tikka T3 that we'd settled on but then ARC and Bighorn both released these and i cancelled. He's not likely to shoot competition and the bighorn is more plane than the Nucleus, but idk that he'd care. It's probably just that "new" feeling coupled with the features of the Nucleus that would make me want it. We have an SR3 and TL3 and i love both of them. I've just always been keen on reducing bolt lift from 90 degrees. Which i run my tempest. I'd like to see a swept bolt handle option for the Nucleus.

Reactions: diverdon

That makes me feel pretty good then because I got my pre-order in hours after they posted on Facebook about it. I already have a Mausingfield and a couple sets of ARC rings so I guess I'm a fanboy at this point.

I would think it does. It's definitely a hard choice between the two. If i had the money i'd go ahead and preorder a Nucleus but i truthfully dunno what i'd use it for besides a .223 trainer.
This is why I haven’t ordered one. Everything I want in a rifle my AI does and a $2K .223 trainer doesn’t do anything for me today.

Reactions: Eric DeLeon
A couple of things, here... first, I have to wonder what anyone has against ARC or the Mausingfield. Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I've been very pleased with the ARC products with which I have experience (a few sets of rings). Obviously, rings are not an action, but I don't recall seeing anyone having bad experiences with either product or company when it comes to ARC. Second, seeing that about the Nucleus orders makes me glad that I jumped on the LRI Mausingfield barreled action group buy... 'cause that sure looks like it's going to come through sooner than my Nucleus order.

A couple of things, here... first, I have to wonder what anyone has against ARC or the Mausingfield. Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I've been very pleased with the ARC products with which I have experience (a few sets of rings). Obviously, rings are not an action, but I don't recall seeing anyone having bad experiences with either product or company when it comes to ARC. Second, seeing that about the Nucleus orders makes me glad that I jumped on the LRI Mausingfield barreled action group buy... 'cause that sure looks like it's going to come through sooner than my Nucleus order.

I don't think anyone has any ill will towards them he was just stating his friend didn't prefer the Mausingfield.

You are burnt out :D

I don't think anyone has any ill will towards them he was just stating his friend didn't prefer the Mausingfield.

Will, he’s talking about my post I think.

Burnout, just my buddy’s personal preference, nothing more. Every action has its compromises, and everyone has their own priorities as far as features. How much bad have you heard about the tl3 around here. Not much for sure, but Ted at ARC never misses a chance to put it down without actually naming it. He places a very high emphasis on CRF (edit: claw type not t-slot style like the tl3)for example, many here don’t. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

Last edited:
There is a Video on you tube covering big horn and they talk about the Origin Action. Seems pretty neat. Seems to do everything that the TL3 does just with a pinned recoil Lug and made from Chrome Molly instead of Stainless Steel. I looked at the ARC nucleus Cause it had the most info out on it. But after seeing this Video I see a Origin in my future later this year.

Scott

There is a Video on you tube covering big horn and they talk about the Origin Action. Seems pretty neat. Seems to do everything that the TL3 does just with a pinned recoil Lug and made from Chrome Molly instead of Stainless Steel. I looked at the ARC nucleus Cause it had the most info out on it. But after seeing this Video I see a Origin in my future later this year.

Scott
Link?

This is why I haven’t ordered one. Everything I want in a rifle my AI does and a $2K .223 trainer doesn’t do anything for me today.

I love my AIAT but I really wanted a

That is actually the only reason I bout my TL2 action recently.

I don't get why AI can't offer even a complete 223 bolt to go with my 308 bolt. If they did it would be perfect.

I love my AIAT but I really wanted a

That is actually the only reason I bout my TL2 action recently.

I don't get why AI can't offer even a complete 223 bolt to go with my 308 bolt. If they did it would be perfect.
I mean, a .223 trainer is exactly what I don’t have. Could mess with getting an AX AICS to go with it (honestly more $ than I want to spend and the Bravo seems nifty) to really make it like my AX, but it’s just a lot of money for a not serious rifle. I don’t reload and I’m not paying $1/rd for .223 match ammo, but I’m not exactly hot on shooting my AR’s 5.56 heavies out of a match chamber either.

A
Anyone who is not a fan of ARC or the mausingfield , is not someone’s opinion who is worth listening to.

The bottom part is untrue or an exageration. Ted said he should be caught up by summer.

He was not told December by Ted.

I never said he was talking to Ted. One of his guys in the booth. It was during a conversation about the huge response to the nucleus. Orders prior to the show were far greater than expected. Like I said, if it’s sooner, great.

Their mags were highly touted when they came and have been very problematic. You almost can't give them away in certain circles now. But to be fair designing a multi caliber mag like they did is a ballsy move and mags have been the achillies heel of many a major manufacturer. I also don't think it's any sort of indicator to their other products other than a willingness to innovate and tackle challenges.

Name a magazine and I'll find you a group of people I know personally that hate it. AICS, AW, Alpha, Accurate, ARC, MDT....

It's a complex issue that is compounded by 5-10 stock makers, 5+ DBM manufacturers, and hundreds, if not thousands of "gunsmiths" doing the work and tens of different actions, and my guess is a selective percentage have any grasp on what's really supposed to be going on. Even with that said, I've seen DBM installed as perfectly as you could hope for with all the numbers checking out, and one magazine works, another doesn't feed worth a damn... Kind of is what it is. I've had decent luck with ARC mags, though. At least they're stout enough that if you have to bend the lips they won't lose shape over time.

Reactions: Primus
$1 a Rd? Dude, check out Ammoseek.com

Try $0.40 a Rd

If you don't reload but you're shooting a rifle, your inevitably paying for ammo some sort of way...
There is no .223 77gr available in that price range on ammoseek and the cheapest they have is mislabeled Israeli 5.56 stuff. I said what I said, though it looks you can get Black Hills reloads for around $0.75 before shipping. Norma even more, Hornady ELDs even more than that, Federal Berger yet more.

Will, he’s talking about my post I think.

Burnout, just my buddy’s personal preference, nothing more. Every action has its compromises, and everyone has their own priorities as far as features. How much bad have you heard about the tl3 around here. Not much for sure, but Ted at ARC never misses a chance to put it down without actually naming it. He places a very high emphasis on CRF (edit: claw type not t-slot style like the tl3)for example, many here don’t. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.
Fair enough... I just (obviously incorrectly) interpreted your post to mean that your buddy had something against ARC due to ethics, quality, or some other reason. I certainly understand the personal preference aspect of things (Ford/Chevy, tastes great/less filling, and so on)... and from what I can tell the TL3 is as solid and reliable as any action out there; which just proves the old adage that in a competitive environment, it's the consumer that wins.

There is no .223 77gr available in that price range on ammoseek and the cheapest they have is mislabeled Israeli 5.56 stuff. I said what I said, though it looks you can get Black Hills reloads for around $0.75 before shipping. Norma even more, Hornady ELDs even more than that, Federal Berger yet more.
Check out blue box black hills. Triad has really good prices on these and it’s some of the best factory ammo available.

Ya, your right. That shit costs $1 a Rd. 223 isn't feasible. Nevermind.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Did I say that? No, I said your wild exaggeration of a price isn’t on ammoseek, as you claimed. That is all.

Checked out both at shot.

The Nucleus has a lot going on and is very innovative. Josh and Ted make a very seemingly good duo and I will be interested to see what they come up with next.

Bighorn mentioned bbl'd actions are on the horizon for them. Great guys there as well.

I'd call it a slight win for Bighorn myself but do keep in mind I just got a TL3 back from DLC on Weds. so I might show a bit of bias in a photo finish.

Both are great and a win for us shooters.

Mack Bros ti action impressed the hell out of me too. Super smooth, light, trigger hanger, one piece bolt, indexed lug, m16 extractor/plunger eject and field stripable firing pin.

Checked out both at shot.

The Nucleus has a lot going on and is very innovative. Josh and Ted make a very seemingly good duo and I will be interested to see what they come up with next.

Bighorn mentioned bbl'd actions are on the horizon for them. Great guys there as well.

I'd call it a slight win for Bighorn myself but do keep in mind I just got a TL3 back from DLC on Weds. so I might show a bit of bias in a photo finish.

Both are great and a win for us shooters.

Mack Bros ti action impressed the hell out of me too. Super smooth, light, trigger hanger, one piece bolt, indexed lug, m16 extractor/plunger eject and field stripable firing pin.

Thanks man. I'm torn. I've been wanting a TL3 for awhile but the short throw in the nucleus is tempting.

Do you know if the Origin has the bayonet style shroud that allows tooless bolt head swaps?

Same bolt heads. I think they are gonna dlc them now too although the one I just got was not.

No losing here either way. I lean traditional and a smooth action, fixed blade ejector with crf covers 90% of what I want in a custom action.

there is so much mis-information in this thread.

Both actions are available now, but it is just not late Spring/Summer enough to make it now.

Confused listener over here with zero customs. So what’s the main reason to go TL3 now instead of the orgin? Seems to have damn near everything for a cheaper price. I see that the orgin has a pinned recoil lug...what’s the negative of that compared to the TL3?

Reactions: Butler12
Confused listener over here with zero customs. So what’s the main reason to go TL3 now instead of the orgin? Seems to have damn near everything for a cheaper price. I see that the orgin has a pinned recoil lug...what’s the negative of that compared to the TL3?

Interested in this as well. Also curious why the nucleus is not cut for aw mags. I thought aw mags were designed for a three lug action. I find it odd that a three lug action would not take advantage of this.

Interested in this as well. Also curious why the nucleus is not cut for aw mags. I thought aw mags were designed for a three lug action. I find it odd that a three lug action would not take advantage of this.

The Nucleus is not a typical 3 lug bolt design insomuch that the lugs are oriented at different places on the bolt in comparison to a typical 3 lug. Long story short, typical 3 lug bolts present a lug at “6 o’clock” when the bolt is moving (which aides is stripping a round from the wide mouth of an AW magazine). The Nucleus doesn’t have a lug in this position when the bolt is moving.

Additional to what Jethro said in Ted's video of the action he states that the AW mags in a 700 footprint leave the action thin in places and he is not willing to compromise the strength of the action to use AW mags.

I believe his exact words to that and other changes that may possibly weaken the action was "I have to sleep at night so I won't do it"

Reactions: Sierra770
Question for the people that handled the Nucleus at SHOT Show last week:

When talking about the bolt lift, were you able to dry-fire the action and cycle the bolt where it actually cocked it? Or was this simply cycling the bolt with the action already cocked?

In my experience with my AIs and the new Mausingfield I just picked up, there is a significant difference in cycling the bolt when it is cocked vs uncocked.

Samb300,

Look at the video that Short Actions Customs made. The was dry firing and cocking in opening with one finger.

I’m with you on the bolt lift. My AX is the same way. It is relatively stiff on cocking.....not unbearable, but in certain awkward positions it is noticeable. This is exactly why I was so curious about the bolt lift. Bolt lift only matters on cocking. People running a 3 lug action in videos with no trigger just tells me it’s smooth (which is great), not light.

Sogan,
My understanding is that the Origin is as specified. Where the TL3 has all the options. AW mags, 3 different tang thicknesses, port side, 3 different moa rails and its made of stainless w integral lug.

I have been contemplating a TL3 , but I just ordered the origin.

From what I have read I hope that answers your question.

Question for the people that handled the Nucleus at SHOT Show last week:

When talking about the bolt lift, were you able to dry-fire the action and cycle the bolt where it actually cocked it? Or was this simply cycling the bolt with the action already cocked?

In my experience with my AIs and the new Mausingfield I just picked up, there is a significant difference in cycling the bolt when it is cocked vs uncocked.
haha obviously cocking it