• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handy new use for my Drill Press

Fusilier

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm running through about 500 once fired .308 brass I just purchased and I've started using my small bench top drill press in my reloading work flow. I started by mounting a .410 shotgun bore brush in the drill's chuck to clean out the inside of the neck after tumbling. I leave the press running and just slide each case up and down on the rotating brush while pinching the case to keep it from rotating with the brush. Two quick taps of the case upside down drops any residual crap onto my bench.

However, I've recently changed the media in my tumbler and the new stuff is really fine - almost like a fine sand. This stuff leaves a bit of a media residue (a fine dust) on the outside of each case. Now what I do is stroke each case on the rotating brush a couple of times and then leave the case on the brush to rotate. I then use a used clothes dryer anti-static cloth to wipe the dust off the outside of the case as it rotates. Total time per case, about 3 seconds, 5 if you include moving it to/from the reloading block.

Now I've even discovered a third trick for my drill press/bore brush/rotating case. Once I'm ready to full length resize, I pop each case onto the rotating brush and gently pinch the case between my thumb and forefinger with a little lube on it (I'm using Lee resizing lube at the moment). Again, I can lube the body of each case in about 5 seconds including moving it to/from the block. I keep my fingers off the shoulder and neck and just use one of those little mica/brush thingies to 'lube' the neck before I run the case through the press.

Take care to wear no jewelry that might catch, run the drill at its slowest speed, no loose clothing or hair, avoid distractions, etc. Do this at your own risk. I just found it works great for me.

Any thoughts?

Fusilier