• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Happiness is getting your bottom metal fitted and working...

cal50

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
I traded into a new Remington 700 tactical in .223 rifle. It kind of "just happened" and did not plan on it but its really a decent rifle. I took it to the range completely stock and mounted a Leupold MK4-16X on it to see if it was a shotgun or a rifle. Completely stock it grouped well under an inch ( 3/4" @ 100 yds.) so I deemed it worthy of a few functional mods. The 1st thing I did was thread the muzzle for a Blackout flash hider and suppressor mount so I can run my AAC M4-2000 on it. The stock crown was OK but I cut a fresh 11 degree crown. The factory Hogue stock is great for field or woods use on a hunting rifle but far from a precision foundation. My forearm rubbed the barrel stock sitting on a bipod. I decided to go a different rout for a stock and purchased my 1st Bell & Carlson. Its not a bad stock for the money. Its not in the same league as a McMillan but its not priced the same either. Its solid with the aluminum bedding block and integral pillars. My rear pillar was slightly off center but I can fix this.

I absolutely hate the Remington box magazine. It "works" most of the time but sucks IMHO. I went with the PTG bottom metal and AICS .223 magazines. The PTG bottom metal is top shelf and the AICS mags fit perfectly together. PTG included pillars which I used to measure the pillar height and then milled the B&C stock down to the same dimensions. I no longer have access to CNC milling equipment so I did the inletting on my manual milling machine at home. After an hour milling and fitting the bottom metal fits and functions oh so smooooothly. I know some have said they fitted it with a dremel tool but I can not imagine doing it!

I still have to bed the action and then the bottom metal but I am liking the way everything has gone together.

Nice job. I want a DBM but its more tacticool. Not sure if I want to go that route and spend the money since I just single feed.

Nice handy rig you've assembled. let us know how it shoots post bedding

I am declaring victory on this one.....

The Bell & Carlson stock bedded up with no surprises. The rear pillar was about .052 thousandths off center to the front pillar so I needed to correct that or use the PTG pillars included with their bottom metal. I used Devcon for bedding and did the action 1st then the bottom metal last. I used the same generic loaded ammo I used when the gun was stock with the Hogue stock. My original groups were decent but not great. I could shoot 3/4" groups all day long. Bedded in the new stock I can do under 1/2" and that is without tuning the ammo to this gun. I fired groups with my AAC M4-2000 can attached and without and did not get a huge change in accuracy. I do get an impact shift down of about an inch or less with the can attached. Without the can attached I get the infamous tuning fork "ping" with each shot fired. With the can attached its frigging quiet......

With can~

Can removed~

Down range / 100 yards~

Group with M4-2000 attached.
52 Sierra BTHP