• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Happy Easter-& a 1911 magazine question

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
I'm getting my new SA Champion Lightweight ready for carry and I'm looking for some feedback on magazines.

In my Kimber Custom, I've always run Shooting Star (Chip McCormick) mags and had 100% reliability. However, the Custom is a full-size 1911 and sees far more target loads than full-house defensive loads. I'm looking to step up to a heavier duty mag for the Springfield and the Wilson Combat +P series really grabbed my attention. The combination of a massive spring and heavy gauge body imply that these mags will likely resist deformation and feed well, even with the higher slide velocity of the Champion.

Anybody roll these mags? Pros? Cons? Thanks for any and all feedback, folks. Y'all are the best!
wink.gif

Re: Happy Easter-& a 1911 magazine question

Wilson's are some good mags, depends on if the like the base pad sticking out. I prefer a fixed base. Either way Tripp Research makes SUPERB mags, and they make fixed base or padded 8rounders. In .45 always get the hybrid follower. Reliable feed and lock back.

I use the Wilson ETM in both IDPA competetion and as my carry magazines. I love them. Both of my Kimbers seem to love them too

Thanks for the heads-up on Tripp. I'll check them out. The +P Wilsons do have a low-profile steel base, so that's a plus for them over the other Wilson mags, and I agree with you about the fixed/low-profile bases...slicker is better on a carry piece.

Thanks, seaaggie. If they run in competition, they're probably pretty durable since the springs and feed lips get a regular workout. Any problems with springs getting soft after a lot of cycles?

nope the three i have, have some 2500-3000 rounds through them combined and still no issues

Check out my group buy in my signature, that is ending today. I have used every imaginable type of 1911 magazine and while I was very happy with my Wilsons, the Tripp Research mags are unequaled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out my group buy in my signature, that is ending today. I have used every imaginable type of 1911 magazine and while I was very happy with my Wilsons, the Tripp Research mags are unequaled. </div></div>

If I did not already have 8 I would participate...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting my new SA Champion Lightweight ready for carry and I'm looking for some feedback on magazines.

In my Kimber Custom, I've always run Shooting Star (Chip McCormick) mags and had 100% reliability. However, the Custom is a full-size 1911 and sees far more target loads than full-house defensive loads. I'm looking to step up to a heavier duty mag for the Springfield and the Wilson Combat +P series really grabbed my attention. The combination of a massive spring and heavy gauge body imply that these mags will likely resist deformation and feed well, even with the higher slide velocity of the Champion.

Anybody roll these mags? Pros? Cons? Thanks for any and all feedback, folks. Y'all are the best!
wink.gif
</div></div>

I don't like wilsons plastic follower. I've seen the body take gouges out of them, and for the money, just buy Tripp research mags......simply the best. Check out the group buy forum, downzero does a group buy now and then, he's AAA+ in my book! Plus the Tripps started SVI I think, and they build race guns for competition......what his mags were designed to do over and over.

By the way, if the lightweight has an aluminum frame, NEVER use cmc type followers on aluminum frames, they will take out the feedramp.

That goes for.any follower like the cmc type.....

I have always shoot the Wilson mags 7, 8, and 10 rd mags with no problems, but some people say bad things with the 10 rd but I have not anything wrong with them, yet.

I have had problems with the Chip McCormick mags because the rubber on the bottom of the mags slip off the mag when I reload mags, so I got ride of all I had.

What works for me might or might not work for you.

I have the exact model you now own. I've only tried the supplies springfield mags, wilson 47d's, and chip mccormick shooting stars. Out of the 6 CMC's I have, none of them would feed the first round of ball ammo. The SA were hit and miss. The five wilson's have never failed to load any ammo, ball or HP, at any point.

I've never seen or heard of the Tripp mags, but I suspect others speaking well of them may deserve a look. As for my, wilson gets my money.

Wilson's are great. I have a bunch of them and they always work

Another recommendation for Tripp. I've only used the 40 and 10mm mags, but they've worked great for me.