• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Happy New Years Hiders! Time for Change

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Happy New Year from Liberty Optics!
2017 was our worst year ever. In fact, it was our third straight year of declining sales, down 65% from 2014 sales figures. Whether it's a market correction, poor economy, lack of supplier inventory, stale products, Amazon, current political climate, bad website, we stink, or a combination of the above, the fact is what we are doing here IS NO LONGER WORKING.
I firmly believe in adapt or die, so look for big changes in the coming weeks as we embrace the challenge of turning things around in 2018. One critical thought, we will no longer be able to sell "only" scopes, rings, and bases. We will be adding hundreds, if not thousands of new products that cut a wide swath across the shooting sports industry, and branch out into other outdoor disciplines. Maybe specialization is indeed for insects, at least in today's retail climate.
Thanks to all of our loyal customers for giving us our opportunity to serve. Please bear with us as we make improvements in our business, to better serve you and to make us viable for the longterm.

Just wanted to start off the new year with an honest assessment and shout out to all of my peeps. I am nothing if not transparent.
Best, Scott

Tried to PM you, but PM was full ...

==
About Happy New Years Hiders! Time for Change
Scott,
Went to your website for a look (I am in the market for a "high end scope")

And please take these comments in vein of "constructive criticism" !!!

==
Your scope brands showing:

Leupold
VO
Bushy
Trijicon
Sightron
Weaver
Steiner
Burris
Sig

==
What about

Nightforce
Tangent Theta
Kahles
Hensolt
S&B

on Leupold you are showing mostly old stuff ...

"Mk4
Mark AR"

What about Mark 6 3-18 Tremor-3 ?
What about Mark 5 5-25 Tremor-3 ?

These tremor-3 reticles might be the new "bass boats" for 2018 !!! :D

Burris XTR2 (and I have three Burris xtr2)

"XTR II 5-25X50MM (34MM) RIFLESCOPE – SCR-Mil reticle and SCR-MOA!!Just arrived 9/28/16!! In stock!!"

just arrived 2016 ?? This is 2018 !! Need more frequent updates !!

What about the FDE model of 5-25x? Or the 4-20x with the H59 reticle?

==
Here is my short list of scopes ... can you help with any of them !!??

sB8GA4a.jpg

Please PM for contact data if you can help with any of those!
​​​​​​​

I've spent a fair amount of money with Scott over the years. The things I appreciate the most are his willingness to share his insight and knowledge of most things "optic"as well as his honesty. Good luck with the new tack!

Best of luck in 2018 Scott, I personally haven't purchased from you but have great respect for all of the Hide vendors... Maybe reach out to the audience here as far as new inventory selections or changes that guys would like to see... One thing about here, you will get straight up and honest answers from the members here. But I'm sure you know that already. Lol.. Just trying to help by the way, not trying to step on your toes..

I just ordered a mount I couldn't find anywhere and at a great price due to this thread.

I'd add that your website needs improvement. It was very clunky and a bit confusing, for me, to surf. But now that I know you exist, I'd still give you a chance at my business.

Thanks for giving us another option.

Good luck man. I remembering ordering a scope 3 or 4 years ago from you last minute before one of my first PRS matches and you called me while on family vacation to make sure I received my scope in time. That's what I call service.

I'll say this, I'm not sure how the PM situation works but it seems as though your mailbox is always full and not accepting any PM's. I tried sending you one about 3 weeks ago cause I was in the market for a NF ATACR and I couldn't get thru to you and I ended up going with a competitor. Would have loved to have done business with you but If I can't communicate then it makes things difficult.

Good luck in the 2018, hopefully you can turn things around for yourself.

I look forward to seeing what you have in store for 2018 Scott! You’re definitely one of the great vendors here and I hope your able to stick around. Picking up nightforce would be great as I’ve got a couple nightforce purchased coming up.

Hey Scott, sorry to hear about Liberty Optics' declining sales and wish you and family the best of luck and success in 2018. You've always treated me well and provided good and honest advice!

Tried getting in touch a while back and noted website was out of date and your retail store address was no longer listed. Are you still in Montana, or have you moved back to Florida?

Have had several transactions with Scott. He has always been helpful, good followup during purchase, very fair pricing and will always give Scott a shot at my business-he’s clearly earned it. Tough to realize when you have to adapt, and glad to see him picking up the gauntlet.

Liberty optics has been great to me through the years. Scott has always treated me right and has always been quick to respond. I will say this, Scott always has in stock way more stuff than what his website shows. Maybe that’s the issue, people don’t see it so assume he doesn’t have it so they move on. That’s just a thought. My last two or three scope orders, The scopes didn’t show on his website, I have learned that a quick email to Scott asking if he has it and how much? He has always responded quickly to me saying it’s in or out of stock and what the price shipped would be. I always will give Scott the first crack at my business. I have a rangefinder en route from him right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott, sorry to hear about your declining sales.

hope the best for you, as you always go above and beyond.

Scott,

I bought stuff from you as late as 2013. But since 2015, I've bought only 3 scopes. Vortex Razor 3-18x50mm Used here on the Hide, Steiner 3-15x50mm T5Xi Used here on the Hide, and a Bushnell 3-12x44mm LRHS Used on Gun Broker. The used prices were so low and the scopes had so little use, that buying retail even at your exceptional pricing would be a waste of my money.

I don't know how you compete with that. But I do know that the closing of the old Hide and the move to Scout saw many changes, and old hands that knew you and your business well fell away. Plus I see your direct competition leap on post after post offering their products to posters, and you are not to be found. I think that many newish members have no idea who Liberty Optics is, nor do they seem to care. Price and availability seems to be the driving factor and there are so many more choices than there was even 3-4 years ago, it's hard for a small one man show to carry and cater to them all...

Best of luck Scott and I hope your 2018 is much better....

\Plus I see your direct competition leap on post after post offering their products to posters, and you are not to be found. I think that many newish members have no idea who Liberty Optics is, nor do they seem to care. Price and availability seems to be the driving factor and there are so many more choices than there was even 3-4 years ago, it's hard for a small one man show to carry and cater to them all...

This seems to happen a lot more nowadays versus before SH moved to Scout. and seeing 'signs of life' in various threads RE: specific scopes, for a lot of people, will stick in their heads longer than looking through banner ads of 'unknown vendors', etc.

Visibility/marketing and once getting people TO you site, an up to date web site helps.
Having run and online business and with several decades in tech, some comments on the site:
1. Your sale/clearance link view is bizarre - it's super-long/scrolling. Look at competitors or even non-optic sites. Single line per item and drill in from there or a few lines including add to cart is the norm, not a screen long 'fully entry' per optic in the results list.
2. Clicking on riflescopes link is also painful, needing to then drill in to manufacturer. Default should be to show all, with filters(multiple selections allowed) for mfgr, FFP vs SFP, perhaps tube diameter, etc. It isn't uncommon for people to have a desire for e.g. 34mm tube, illuminated, min magnification of 3x, perhaps even price above $800 or below $2000 - now show us what you've got.

#2 is somewhat difficult with the caveat of MAP, and I don't know what percentage of your sales are via phone vs website, but I'd also make it clear(er) on the site - call for best prices.

Just my .02c - best of luck!

Scott,

I got your email. Thank you. You've found and earned a new customer. Your prices are great. Your service is excellent. And from what I can tell, your customer service is also outstanding. That's a formula for success! Just need to get people to your store. I think being an active member on any gun forum would help. You probably already are. Active being the key work. You need to keep your store and you in everyone's mind so the first inclination of getting some glass, they think of you first and go to YOUR website to begin their search. They may go elsewhere to price shop but should come right back to you from my brief experience and testimony is this thread. Make your website easy to navigate and buy. To me that's all you're missing. The retail game has changed and all of us are scrambling trying to figure out how be visible and sell. So, the good news is, all I see you need to do is update and streamline your website. Not cheap but at least that's your only battle. Again, from my perspective. If you prefer to deal with people over the phone or through email directly, rather than have your website do that, encourage everyone to call or email on every page. Point out your strength of knowledge and your willingness to guide. These are big purchases, customers will appreciate you guiding them and helping them get what's right for them. Maybe you're all ready doing this, I suggest you beat 'em up to death telling them how friendly you are. :D

Scott, I've bought several scopes and mounts from you over the years and have been extremely happy with your prices and excellent service. I have to agree with the others that have said your site needs some work and you need to be more proactive like CS Tactical and Camera Land when a member is seeking a scope info. Hope sales improve in 2018.

Scott is the man. I have purchased about a half dozen scopes, a Kowa spotting package, and some Trijicon RMRs. He has been great to work with, timely, and rock bottom on his pricing. I wish you and your business a speedy turnaround!