• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Happy to be here! New Member (Currently in Washington State-JBLM)

USNairborne

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2020
Tacoma, WA
US Navy veteran, 43 years old, married to an active duty Army soldier, did some shooting while in the Navy (best finish was 2nd place Rifle team at the 1999 Pacific Fleet event). I met my wife at airborne school in 2003, and we were dual military until injuries forced me to be medically retired; unfortunately, my health has continued to decline, and I have recently added a MS diagnosis to the mix. The most problematic symptom thus far is one that has impaired my vision; specifically, the loss of proper usability of my dominant eye due to internuclear opthalmolplegia. It has been a difficult time, and I've been preoccupied with feeling sorry for myself for much too long; and it is time for me to appreciate life once again. Shooting used to make me happy, and I am excited to return to the hobby, but I will be doing so with a new left-handed approach, as I will need to learn how to shoot rifles with my good eye; thus far, I have learned that I am not a switch-hitter, and everything feels awkward and backwards when I use my left side.

Anyway, I am happy to be here, as coming across this site has both renewed my interest in shooting and it has served as a catalyst to bring me out of the dark hole of sadness and depression that I allowed myself to fall into during the past year. I have purchased a sweet Barrett MRAD, from a great person who is a fellow member here (thanks again, roncar2008), and I look forward to getting it out on the range...as soon as I can find one that allows 338 here in Washington.

Thank you!

Former Navy Radioman (FMF/PJ)

To avoid confusion:FMF and PJ are US Navy warfare designators I earned while in the Navy; FMF-Fleet Marine Force earned while deployed with USMC 13th MEU,
PJ-Basic Parachutist earned after completing basic airborne course to become a 5-jump chump.

pics attached:
me on the right at airborne course graduation
me in the sand on deployment
me with rifle team trophy pacific fleet rifle and pistol event
me with my lil rotc cadet...who is now a major, and makes me salute her ;-)

Attachments

• airbornegraduation.JPG
    airbornegraduation.JPG
    815.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 13thmeudeployment.JPG
    13thmeudeployment.JPG
    848.7 KB · Views: 31
  • pacflt rifle and pistol even 1999.JPG
    pacflt rifle and pistol even 1999.JPG
    530.6 KB · Views: 38
  • monkeynme2004.jpg
    monkeynme2004.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: shoot_steel17
Howdy and welcome USNairborne. If the Major doesn't hold that against you, I won't either. ;) Sorry to hear about your health issues; avoiding dark places can be challenging, been there too and had lots of help. The MRAD should boost your mood if you know someone with acreage. Once a month I drive 4 hours to Tri-Cities to shoot 1000 yds but I'm an old jarhead who just doesn't know any better...

usmc_avatar.png

Reactions: USNairborne