• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day to all who served.

All geared up for noon chow, September 1980.
Ready For Noon Chow.jpg

My dad had a family diary where in was recorded a brief description of Battle of Kings Mountain by the wife of a relative who fought and won there. That battle shattered England's control of the South. My dad's side of the family has fought in just about every war since.

I have a pic of me, my Dad, and a brother together and all of us in uniform.

And Another of my great Uncles in the 82nd before they shipped off to WWII. Two of the three died after jumping into Anzio. And one pic of the only surviving uncle with us in uniform.

And another of my BIL and his dad and me in uniform. His dad fought in Sicily and then basically walked from Southern France into Germany.

A few years ago I went to the Wall in DC and found my mom's first love's name there.

In my wife's grandfathers trailer is an M1 Garand that his brother jumped into Normandy with. He had two brothers in the 101st. One survived and I did don't get to meet him before he passed.

I'm the only one still living of those mentioned above.

Every year I run into someone who knows some of the people I served with. Sometimes random calls with vendors will reveal an unknown connection or I will chat with a younger guy and find out his commander was a friend. Or just a chance meeting in an airport restaurant will let me meet someone who was just on the other side of something I did. Small world.

I am preparing my son to lead, maybe he will go in, maybe not. I have two nephews in the 101st. And plan to talk another into joining this winter. I'll take my carbine and precision rifles and we'll go shoot. I'll kick their asses and then we'll have a good time talking around the fire.

Veteran's day is special in many many ways. Brings back a lot of memories and a deep longing for men I knew and some of the women that loved them.

Reactions: Yasherka
Fun Veteran tidbits.

Only about 7% of Americans are vets.

New York state has the fewest veterans, Alaska has the most as a percentage of the population. There may be some truth to the idea of veterans wanting to get as far away from people as possible. hahaha

We did it for the free meal at Golden Corral and the discount at Lowe's. :LOL:

Every veteran meets a lot of idiots who "almost joined the military" or was "too important to serve his country" of who "believes in personal freedom and feels he owes no one and refused to serve", on a regular basis. My mother's second husband always mentioned, "He was FARRRRRRRRRRRR to important to have been wasting his time serving in WWII." He was an anti-union labor relations guy who was tasked with fucking workers out of as much money and benefits as possible. He was, "One of America's business leaders", according to him.

How many times did someone walk up to you, while you were in uniform, and ask if you knew their, son, daughter, nephew or niece who was also in the military? I once had a lady at McDonald's tell me her son was in Iceland, we landed there a couple of weeks later on the way back from Norway to refuel. I took him to lunch. I told him his mom asked me to check on him, he was thrilled, he was very homesick. It was one of my favorite days in the service.

When my Dad died we had a memorial service at the VFW. (101st ABN 501st "F" co, WWII) I invited all the strippers from his favorite titty bar to the memorial. Three of them were veterans and the club manager was an Army vet. He closed down the joint and brought everyone, including most of the regulars who knew my dad well. I bought the guys in the post bar a round in memory of my Dad and invited them as well. I let them know there were strippers at the service in the auditorium and that my dad had been a commander of a VFW post for many years. They rounded up their garrison caps and came back. The biggest flower arrangement was from the strip club, hahahaha. Three strippers spoke kindly of him to the audience when it was time to "share" stories of his life. My cunt of a sister about lost her shit and it was priceless. We have not spoken since that day and I'm happy with it.

27 years of active and guard service for me. Some of it really sucked. Every time I think about it, I smile. Four of us got together for lunch a few days ago since we all work today. We have been friends for 20 years or more. It's like family.

Last edited:
I looked. I can't find a single GIF on the internet that shows a SAT salute. Even the ones from actual service members are all of officers who can't give a proper salute. The amount of ones where they show their fucking palm or spread their fingers is obscene.

Actually the only correct one I can find is fucking Tom Cruise in the new Top Gun, which blows me away. @MJF has jumped out the back of a C-130 and can still give a correct salute for fucks sake. Where the fuck am I? I don't recognize this universe.

Happy Veterans day. I'm only gona work till 11:00 and then go play golf for free at a fancy country club I don't belong to...

I have very few pics from when I was in, and this is the only cool one 😆

Every year my unit would get a few nearly expired missiles to fire (inert warheads, unfortunately), and on this particular day we got almost a dozen if I remember correctly. One of the NCO's was an amateur photographer, and tried all day to catch a missile coming out of the tube. He finally got it when it was my turn to fire.

Later on, he gave me this framed print as a souvenir. Probably my most cherished momento from my time in.
20190710_173040.jpg

One of the front desk clerks to check patients in was bitching she had to work yesterday and couldn't go get free meals. Then she asked me if I thought they would deliver one to our urgent care...I shook my head and walked away......wtf.

Doc

• Angry
Reactions: Yasherka