• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hard Cases

Falar

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Midland, TX
What is the longest hard case available? I'm almost done with a new build and need to ship it out for finishing/bedding work but it has a 28" barrel with an FTE on the end of it. None of the hard cases I know of will acommodate this and I know there are people out there with Palma guns and the like with 30 and 32 inch barrels, what are you using to case these beasts?

Re: Hard Cases

SKB has some long ones. Also, Cabelas has an aluminium one for Black powder rifles that's 62x12x4.5 (saw it in their shooting catalog).

Academy Sports has a nice plastic case simular to a pelican for $100. I just picked one for a rifle witha 26" barrel and it has room to spare I think it is listed at 51".

My Storm im3300 fits my 40X, which has a 30" barrel. You might have your smith measure it and let you know. A standard case might work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Storm im3300 fits my 40X, which has a 30" barrel. You might have your smith measure it and let you know. A standard case might work. </div></div>

I thought about the storm 3300 but it lists 54" as the length on the outside. SKB lists the length on the inside of one of their cases as 52.5". I've measured the rifle from tip to tip and it is 51" so maybe the Storm would work but the SKB looks like the sure thing.

There's one way you can store such long rifles with style:

kwiecien-30.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulyosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Falar:

The IM3300 is 50.25" on the inside; too short for your needs...
</div></div>

Thanks. Looks like I'll go with the SKB when the rifle is done.

Regular storm cases are a little bit shorter than the Pelican cases.

If you are looking for long rifles ( >50") you will need to go with another company.

Pelican has a new case that's bigger than the 1750, both a couple inches longer and deeper

From their website:
1770 Long Case
Interior Dimensions:[54.58" x 15.58" x 8.63" (138.6 x 39.6 x 21.9 cm)

Haven't seen one yet, so I don't know how available they are. See it Here

There's always www.icc-case.com

I have this beast and it's a pretty damn nice case. The foam isn't meant to be cut, but it holds the rifles in place incredibly well.

Im so bringing back a Pelican 1770 the next time im in the US!

Never used an ICC / SKB / Mudcat so cant comment on them.

But if you have ever used a Pelican, you will agree that they are nice bits of gear.

Guess it is time to bump this as I actually need to order the case now........

I see the Pelican 1770 is in the mid 300 range but I found only one place selling the SKB but it is about 100 bucks cheaper. Is this new Pelican case more similar to the old Pelican cases or is it like the Storm cases now that they are the same company? I've never heard any reviews about the SKB and wonder which case is better quality. The cost is not an issue.

The 1770 is a good case but it is huge. It is twice as thick as the 1750 and a little wider. My buddy has one and he uses it for long hauls only. Just going to the range for some shooting or using it daily isn't really an option.