• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hard choice: Steiner M7Xi / Minox ZP5 / Kahles 318i

TangoRomeo7688

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2023
Germany
Hi there from Germany,

I actually run an Athlon ARES BTR 2.5-15*50 with MIL tree reticle for hunting and target shooting to max 600m

Scope is okay so far. But the all illuminated reticle isn't the best for hunting in twilight.

So I decided to spend some serious money.

What the new scope must have:

FFP
34mm tube
50mm or 56mm front lens
Just illuminated center of reticle
Min 3x
Max 15x
Solid mechanics
Good optical quality
Max 3000€ in Germany

I came up with this final list

Steiner M7Xi 2,9-20*50 MSR2 2798€

Minox ZP5 3-15*50 2899€

Kahles 318i 3,5-18*50 3300€, on sale 2949€

Every of the scope surely will have some pro and cons and that's where I need your help.

Haven't either any dealer within 100km with those scopes in stock to Test and compare nor any shooter I know with one of those.

Warranty and mechanics seems to the best in Steiner. Mag range also is, but 20 isn't necessary 100%.

Field of view is the smallest on Kahles what could be the biggest downside while hunting is prime purpose.

Tracking seems to be a weak point of some Minox ZP5, due to bad QC and just 2 years of warranty

Weight doesn't matter, cause there is just a little difference.

Cannot find any videos to them about twilight performance.

So please give me all your input to those scopes to avoid a mistake and spend that amount of money to the wrong scope.

Thanks a lot.

Tobias

Last edited:
You know, all good choices, but all niche scopes. I have the utmost respect for Minox and Steiner, but their share of the market is very small. Kahles is great, but I cannot recommend it due to the US distribution. We import from Europe, but that has its own quirks.

What is interesting to me is that you have chosen niche brands and scopes, but I see you are in Germany, so that is your lens, so to speak. Why not include Schmidt & Bender? Maybe even Nightforce?

Hi there from Germany,

I actually run an Athlon ARES BTR 2.5-15*50 with MIL tree reticle for hunting and target shooting to max 600m

Scope is okay so far. But the all illuminated reticle isn't the best for hunting in twilight.

FFP
34mm tube
50mm or 56mm front lens
Min 3x
Max 15x
Solid mechanics
Good optical quality
Max 3000€ in Germany

Minox ZP5 3-15*50 2899€

Every of the scope surely will have some pro and cons and that's where I need your help.

Haven't either any dealer within 100km with those scopes in stock to Test and compare nor any shooter I know with one of those.

Warranty and mechanics seems to the best in Steiner. Mag range also is, but 20 isn't necessary 100%.

Field of view is the smallest on Kahles what could be the biggest downside while hunting is prime purpose.

Tracking seems to be a weak point of some Minox ZP5, due to bad QC and just 2 years of warranty

So please give me all your input to those scopes to avoid a mistake and spend that amount of money to the wrong scope.

Thanks a lot.

Tobias
Kahles K318i CCW RSW SKMR3 on my main deer rifle... Hard to beat it.

IMG_0808.jpeg

Reactions: TangoRomeo7688
You know, all good choices, but all niche scopes. I have the utmost respect for Minox and Steiner, but their share of the market is very small. Kahles is great, but I cannot recommend it due to the US distribution. We import from Europe, but that has its own quirks.

What is interesting to me is that you have chosen niche brands and scopes, but I see you are in Germany, so that is your lens, so to speak. Why not include Schmidt & Bender? Maybe even Nightforce?
What is niche here is sometimes mainstream in other parts of the world.

I know fuel is expensive in Germany, but for the money you're thinking of spending I would think that you would be willing to drive more than that to find one to examine and review.

Hi there from Germany,

FFP
34mm tube
50mm or 56mm front lens
Min 3x
Max 15x
Solid mechanics
Good optical quality
Max 3000€ in Germany

Minox ZP5 3-15*50 2899€

Thanks a lot.

Tobias
Good afternoon Tobias and welcome to the Hide. Your dilemma is one of many here - "I want a nice scope but don't have immediate access, can you (Hide) share your thoughts on these..." Of the three scopes you're considering I will give my thoughts:
  1. Steiner M7Xi 2.9-20 - narrow FOV and optical degradation above 15x (so consider more like a 2.9-15 with ability to go above but not the greatest IQ)
  2. Minox ZP5 3-15x50 - wide FOV, superb IQ throughout, excellent turrets. Yes, ZP5 had early QC issues but seemed to be resolved in later years.
  3. Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50 - narrow FOV, super short design, excellent IQ and turrets. If Kahles came out with a DLR version it would re-awaken interest for many turned off by the FOV.
For you application, I would steer you toward the Minox, it offers you everything in your requirements list and has the best IQ and widest FOV of the bunch. That said, the others are very good given their limitations. One last thing, when Minox was selling in the US, they offered a 20 year warranty IIRC, do they really only offer 2 years in Germany? I should also note I have not personally handled the Steiner as of yet, the comments of IQ rest solely upon the review that ILya did on this scope a short while ago and was disappointed with it, as such, anyone interested in the 2.9-20 I typically steer towards the S&B US 3-20 as it is an impressive optical performer but as you mention it is above your budget and you don't really need anything above 15x so I think the ZP5 is going to be the better choice of these three.

I had on test these scope, but in the bigger models.
I would personally take the Steiner with the MSR2 reticle.
The illumination is best on those, if you are considering it in to a hunting use at dusk&dawn.
The whole illuminated reticle is not for that purpose at all.
MSR2 only the center is illuminated, so it can be used on hunting at low light.
I had Kahles K624i with older MSR reticle, with the center only illuminated, it was a killer on hunting.

Next dealer with one of this scopes in stock is about 270km at the moment.

I really liked the MeoTac when looking through it. I will ask the dealer to borrow it, just to test in dusk and dawn.

Really like the compact size and the reticle. Although it's and "old" non fancy reticle, IT fits my needs. FFP, center cross illuminated, not busy at all. For hunting and sporting purpose to my distances it should be good to go.

Maybe, If I buy one, the savings will be spend on a thermal device, now they are legal since two years here.

Reactions: Tikkaguy