• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hard filler that will work on a magpul grip?

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Want to swap ou the grip on my KAC IWS. Problem is that since they have a sling stud in the receiver the rear take down pin and spring come through the bottom and not from the rear.

The MAID grip is the only aftermarket grip that will work with the ambi safety but the take down pin spring fall into a small void.

I want to fill this in but dont know what sets hard and is safe for plastic. I have tried two different plastic epoxies but they are both "rubbery". Want to use JB weld but dont know if it will adhere to or melt the plastic.

I suppose marine tex would work but all I can find are big containers of it...just need a little to get the job done. Any suggestions?

Re: Hard filler that will work on a magpul grip?

Did you get all the extra parts for the MIAD or not? If you did, try the JB on the ones you don't use.

Other than that, fiber glass repair kits might be available in your area if you have a boat service or RV service place near you. HTH

Ya know considering I use to work with shit like this all the time I should have thought of that!

Thanks gman for slapping some sense into my head LOL. Yeah I have had several full kits and always use the same inserts so I have a small stockpile of extras.

Thanks again.

Epoxy is safe on just about all plastics, won't even touch styrofoam. Polyester based resins can be aggresive.
edi

Tried some plastic safe epoxy yesterday, cured overnight checked it this morning and its too soft to hold the spring in place.

I JB weld all my MIADs. After I decided that I liked medium backstrap, I JB welded it to reduce movement. The roll pin usually isn't enough to make it feel solid.

My two AR-10's have the rear takedown detent spring under the grip. It totally does what you're talking about. So I filled that gap. Works great now. I let it setup for around 5 minutes before I applied it, so it would be easier to work with.

I know what I'm doing tonight! Thanks.

BTW, I like the thick backstraps and have spare mediums...wanna trade?

Sure! I dunno what we would do with them without the grip body. I should have 7 or so of them laying around.

Well you can buy the basic kit with the smallest inserts for about 20.00 less than the full kit. So in the future just buy the basic kit and you will already have the backstraps you want.

I'll take inventory tonight and let you know the count.

For the record Marine Tex works well for this application. I know you said you couldn't find any of the small containers, just letting other folks know that it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well you can buy the basic kit with the smallest inserts for about 20.00 less than the full kit. So in the future just buy the basic kit and you will already have the backstraps you want.

I'll take inventory tonight and let you know the count. </div></div>

Really?! I've seen the basic vs. the full kit which has the integral trigger, but never the kit you are speaking of. Where do you buy them from?

Oh one thing I do like is the A2 bump. Otherwise the MOE would be perfect for me. I've probably got about 7 of the A1 frontstraps.

Nope, I never have. I do know that the kit that magpul offers with 3 backstraps and two front straps is called the "Basic" kit. How much are the kits you're talking about? $35 is roughly what the Magpul "Basic" kit goes for.

Wallyworld automotive department, Bondo that has fiberglass already in it. My basic do-everything filler/resin.