• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hard shell goretex

johnl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Wet Coast
Guys, I like the Arcteyx Leaf Alpha jacket series but don't like the price. Is there similar cheaper alternatives? Thanks

Re: Hard shell goretex

John,
I am a huge Arcteryx fan. Their LEAF line is nice but look at their regular version of the Alpha jacket (especially the Alpha SV jacket). I have had 6 or 7 Arc jacket and they have all been extremely durable.

Also look at Mammut and Wild Things (Wild Things also has a "military" line, but also pricey).

Hope this helps,

PC

Looks like the regular Alpha SV is more expensive than the LEAF Alpha if you qualify to order it from the LEAF website.

I have a Mountain Hardware jacket that I really like, but it's a softshell and not waterproof. You may want to take a look at their line. I have been really eyeballing some of their hardshells in the local outdoors shop.

It's hard to beat the Arc'Teryx LEAF lineup. They are still made in Vancouver unlike the rest of their non-LE clothing, which has been outsourced.

Arcteryx is the way to go. They make a great product, and are very supportive to Mil. and LE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I like the Arcteyx Leaf Alpha jacket series but don't like the price. Is there similar cheaper alternatives? Thanks </div></div>

What is the intended use?

Define similar cheaper?

I am not a Goretex fan, was once as I bought into their mind control advertising but after years of use in Alaska it never did what they said. Gore has a loads of cash and a huge advertising campaign. I went on an all expense paid trip by Dead Bird and Gore for a training seminar, was shocked to say the least. Suits from Gore rolled up in high dollar cars, high dollar suits on and these guys knew very little about the outdoors and us users but they knew about advertising and bending to increase sales. Their PP presentation was full of %, numbers, lab tests, etc but they could not answer, it causes flash off.

The only Arc I have used was given to me to test, absolutely superb in design, construction and fit but even with bro deals it was too expensive. It is worth a shiny penny to some but not me.

I have very little use for a hard shell, I am a soft shell user and if I need that type of shell, its a light weight, cheap, simple nylon WP shell over my soft shell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a Mountain Hardware jacket that I really like, but it's a softshell and not waterproof. You may want to take a look at their line. I have been really eyeballing some of their hardshells in the local outdoors shop. </div></div>

Not bagging on you but MH has become the TNF in Alaska. All the women driving their Subaru's wear MH these days. Watching a high school football and soccer game is just laughable.

MH is now owned by Columbia, I cannot remember who but Columbia has a parent company too, a lot of users do not know that most of the outdoor market is owned by huge conglomerates. Very little self owned these days, while I do not agree with Patagonia views they still do most of their own work and is a self owned company. I still think WildThings makes the best but since JB left, Titoune has changed them up, some good and some bad. JB would stitch up one-offs but to do that now it is rare. And Evan at Integral Designs is superb too, some of the best clothing I ever used was one-offs from Evan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bagging on you but MH has become the TNF in Alaska. All the women driving their Subaru's wear MH these days. Watching a high school football and soccer game is just laughable. </div></div>

That's usually how it goes, but I care more about how it works than who is wearing it.

My MH softshell doesn't get thrashed, but I pretty much live in it from fall to early spring. When it gets "really cold" around here I throw on a R2 jacket under it. It's not a "tacticool" color and it's more just to keep me comfy in a wider range of temps. I just wish it had some pit zips.

If I am knocking about in the woods I wear a combination of BDU Blouse, USMC fleece liner and ECWCS parka. The Wild Things softshell looks very nice. I wish I had the cash to drop on it and the matching pants. Those would be very nice to have on those days where it can't decide if it's going to rain or just drop wet fog on you.

Im a big arcteryx fan too, but lately ive been seeing a lot of them are being produce in china. All my older arcteryx stuff was made in canada.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im a big arcteryx fan too, but lately ive been seeing a lot of them are being produce in china. All my older arcteryx stuff was made in canada. </div></div>

Very true.

Buy the LEAF stuff, it's still made here in Vancouver!