• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hard to feed 308

mattr25

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
sc
I’ve got a Rem 700 sps with Battle Arms Development detachable bottom metal. I’m using AICS 5 round mags. It’s just always seemed sticky when chambering a round out of the magazine. Anybody got any tips as how to improve this? It happens with factory loads or reloads if that matters.

I went through some teething issues related to proper feeding on my Howa 308. Here's what remedied my situation:

1. Proper adjustment of action and action screw torquing (KRG Bravo).
2. Flaring the lips of the magazine.
3. Switched to a MDT magazine with the binder plate. My Accurate mag, didn't have a binder plate. My problem was in large part related to the tip of the bullet snagging under the feed ramp of the action. I reduced my COAL as a result, but this actually worked well as the rifle seems to like more jump with the 175 RDFs I've been shooting.
4. I wound up taking a carbide bit and relieving a small notch in the feed ramp in order to mitigate the aforementioned snagging issue. I followed up lightly polishing theVery easy to do and worked out great. The Howa is an inexpensive gun and I just went for it. I'd have much more hesitation doing this myself on a nicer action.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: mattr25
I went through some teething issues related to proper feeding on my Howa 308. Here's what remedied my situation:

1. Proper adjustment of action and action screw torquing (KRG Bravo).
2. Flaring the lips of the magazine.
3. Switched to a MDT magazine with the binder plate. My Accurate mag, didn't have a binder plate. My problem was in large part related to the tip of the bullet snagging under the feed ramp of the action. I reduced my COAL as a result, but this actually worked well as the rifle seems to like more jump with the 175 RDFs I've been shooting.
4. I wound up taking a carbide bit and relieving a small notch in the feed ramp in order to mitigate the aforementioned snagging issue. I followed up lightly polishing theVery easy to do and worked out great. The Howa is an inexpensive gun and I just went for it. I'd have much more hesitation doing this myself on a nicer action.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I’ll take a look at some of those things this evening. I think flaring the mag will help. It seems like the problem is the bullet case dragging on the top of the magazine. I have not tried any others but might order a different make.