• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hard to find recipe

engineerairborne

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
I'm new to reloading, but I have a good understanding what is involved and how to do it. I found a good deal on .308 bullets 147 grain FMJ. The issue that I'm having is that I can't find any specification's for making this round. I have the Speer #14, and the Lyman 49th. I have also checked many places online, and I can't seem to find any specifications for this bullet. However I can find mention to the 147 grain FMJ all over the internet so what gives?

One other question I bought these bullets off the internet, and they where liested as being class 'b' in that they where pulled from older rounds and have tool marks on them. I'm assuming that they would not be particularly accurate, but I figure that they should be good enough for some one that is not concerned about compatition shooting, but just wanting to practice hitting the target.

Re: Hard to find recipe

147's work well for me in both 310 and 308 configuration in my old CR rifles. They certainly bang a 8" piece of steel out to 200 yards and they're more than lethal.

You're right, they're most likely very old stock from "the West" or they're more likely to be Russian or Eastern Bloc surplus that is copper washed steel jackets.

I treat them like 150 FMJ's and I worked a load up from 10% low because the ones that I have are steel jacketed and I didn't know what that would do to the pressures. I stopped moving north on powder when I found a decent middle range load that seemed to shoot well and the brass lasts a long time. For stuff with expensive reloadable brass I'm more concerned with it lasting for 20 reloads than I am with getting max velocities.

Be sure to run them through a bullet sizing die before loading. Pulled bullets are often out of round, and if there is any chance they are Russian they could be .311 O.D. and would need to be sized to .308.

I bought a couple thousand of these years ago when they were cheap. I have loaded them in .308's and .30-06's with no problems.

Like bohem said, find a load for 150gr's and start working from there. You don't list what powders you have or what you're thinking about loading.

About the same time I bought the 147's I found a couple kegs of AA2230C which is a surplus powder and Accurate says to use AA2460 data. I loaded some .308's with 42gr's of AA2230C in LC brass and it was a sweet shooter. Taken several hogs with it and it was a very accurate round.

Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blboyd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a couple thousand of these years ago when they were cheap. I have loaded them in .308's and .30-06's with no problems.

Like bohem said, find a load for 150gr's and start working from there. You don't list what powders you have or what you're thinking about loading.

About the same time I bought the 147's I found a couple kegs of AA2230C which is a surplus powder and Accurate says to use AA2460 data. I loaded some .308's with 42gr's of AA2230C in LC brass and it was a sweet shooter. Taken several hogs with it and it was a very accurate round.

Brandon </div></div>

WC846 and sized down 147's (from 310 to 308) is a great combination for one of my 06's. Compared to commercial powder and bullets it's certainly cheap
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: engineerairborne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the tips. I figured as much (Starting at 150 - some grain).

</div></div>

Chances are you'll end up shooting a little heavier load if you're using something like BLC-2 in order to get to max since it's a smidge lighter bullet.

If you don't need a max load and can deal with a slower accurate load, then I'd suggest that, simply from the fact that these are probably steel jacketed and there's no need to rip your barrel to pieces trying to make cheap tips shoot.