• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hardcore Copper Solvents vs. your aluminum upper?

Mall Ninja308556

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2011
I have a Remmy R-25 (DPMS LR-308) that likes to copper foul. I have found that Barnes CR-10 works awesome at removing it. The issue is you cant leave it in over 15 minutes and I hear that ammonia based solvents are bad for aluminum (upper receiver). So the question is, how do you avoid getting solvent on the inside of your upper receiver when you run a patch down the barrel? Should you neutralize the ammonia like you would corrosive primer? Windex?

I used a lot of carb spray down the bore and the gas tube to flush the solvent out, but I still found some blush crystals on the tip of my gas tube and inside the bolt carrier after a day at the range, showing I had solvent residue hiding somewhere. So if carb spray or brake cleaner isnt 100% what should I do?

How often do you guys use copper solvent as apposed to just standard Break free/brush/patches or jags?

Re: Hardcore Copper Solvents vs. your aluminum upper?

I have two recommendations:

1) Get a JP bore guide (the blue one, made for 308 pattern AR's

2) Try the Bore Tech copper remover - I have found it works great and I am not afraid of getting it on aluminum

I don't use copper remover on my AR all the time but when I do I just mop it out with a patch, haven't seen any harm. What's the deal with the windex? It has ammonia in it. The bluish deposits on you BCG and gas tube probably don't have anything to do with copper solvent, I got those before I ever touched my rifle with copper solvent, inside of the flashhider will really turn blue, it doesn't seem to hurt anything either.

Most Windex now days does not have ammonia, since ammonia harms window tint (softens the adhesive). I know that its common practice to "rinse" the bore and action with Windex after shooting corrosive ammo so I was just speculating that that might be a good idea after using copper solvent. But thinking more about it, it might not be a good idea due to rust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two recommendations:

1) Get a JP bore guide (the blue one, made for 308 pattern AR's

2) Try the Bore Tech copper remover - I have found it works great and I am not afraid of getting it on aluminum </div></div>

Wholly crap are they proud of that! I may just make my own for that price! =) We (father in law) made carbon scrapers for my M4 after I saw how much they cost. Turned them on the lathe out of scrap bar stock in about 20 minutes for a total investment of $0.00. Yeah I know, im cheap about certain things... haha

Nothing wrong with making your own. If you I'd try and copy JP's design. They have 2 or so o rings placed in grooves on the OD of the guide. I think that's pretty key to keeping crap out of the receiver.

By the way - someone might make a Delrin guide also for less money, but I don't like them as much.

After copper removal:
JB bore paste the area that collects too much copper.
Polish it to the point that it no longer collects copper you can "feel" with a patch after shooting.
Don't remove copper you can't feel.
Use Kroil or 3-in-1 oil to lightly coat the remaining copper in you barrel after barrel cleaning.
This prevents copper oxidation from forming that changes bullet/barrel friction that increases velocity and pressure that may throw the first few rounds wild.

Come to terms with copper you cannot feel with a cotton patch.
It is best left stabilized in your barrel.
IMHO

Sweet's 7.62 does a good job of removing copper.
It contains a lot of ammonia.
It should not be left on anything for very long.
10 min in your barrel.
Hoppe's #9 does a good job of removing Sweet's

I've had some luck with 'Knock Out', a foaming copper remover. Spray it in, then stand the upper or rifle up in the battub muzzle down, and the copper runs out the bore after 10-15 minutes. Run a patch or 3 thru the bore to wipe it out, and repeat as necessary. Used it frequently on old C&R guns, as well as AR's, and my M1A. Only problem is that I can't seem to find any around here, and I'm out.

And for cleaning corrosive ammo, I've had a lot of good luck with ballistol. Works great, won't trash your gun.