• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hardfacing on bolt, upper receiver, etc.

Natalbanyriver

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2010
Skiatook, OK
Does anyone have any field experience they can share with hardfacing on components in the AR or M16 platform (other than chrome lined barrels)? I only know of the Fail Zero hard facing, but I like the idea. The industry I work in lives and dies on hard faced components for erosion and corrosion control. I know that lubricity is introduced with metals hard faced, but we always supply some lubrication for our equipment.

If anyone can comment on actual field performance and longevity of hardfaced components I would appreciate it; especially comments that include details about lubrication either used or not used with hardfaced compoenents. Also interesting would be to know if a hardfaced bolt used with an upper receiver that was not hardfaced got improved performance and if the upper was degraded (worn more) by the hardfaced component.

Thanks,
Ken

Re: Hardfacing on bolt, upper receiver, etc.

Has anyone here ever had a rifle fail because of factory hardening being inadequate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone here ever had a rifle fail because of factory hardening being inadequate? </div></div>

Not hardening. Hardfacing. Chrome plating is hardfacing when applied to softer materials.

I was wondering especially about the wear in the upper when using hardfaced components. The Fail Zero products say they need no lubrication because of the natural lubricity of the hardfaced moving components (or in the case of the upper non-moving component housing moving parts).

It would be great to avoid the oil with something that intriniscally needs no lubrication. I look forward to that if it works over the medium/long term without damaging other components to avoid the fouling that occurs when I use a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AutoVerminator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.pof-usa.com/upper/upperreceiver.htm

Go read about these uppers, they basically put a nickel/teflon coating on all moving parts. It appears they have replaced the cam pin w/ a roller now also. </div></div>

+1. If you shoot with a can you will love these guns. I don't oil mine. I might oil mine if some real shiny spots where wear is occurring show up, but so far so good.

Real accurate, clean and reliable.

I doubt oil would attract much grit/dirt, because very little gas is blown back into the reciver.

You should try one.

-dan