• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hardware out of my kids leg

DODGE268

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2004
Jackson Ms
Went to the hospital this morning and got all the hardware removed, and got to keep it. Three weeks ahead of schedule. I need some ideas of things to do with the screws and plate. I'll post pics of the stuff later. Thanks for the support from everybody.
Patrick

Re: Hardware out of my kids leg

Picture040.jpg

Here's the stuff
Patrick

Just looking at those screws makes me say Ouch! Those babies in bone...

Just imagining the torque involved as I drive a lot of screws on any given day.

You have one tough kid there and parents to match! Had to be tough to watch that procedure!

Merry Christmas!

Need to get someone to make a plastic leg bone, use the parts on it, & encase it in lucite for Him. He would get a kick outta showing it to his buddies.

Maybe talk to one of the docs for a way to make a fake bone. Might not be as tough as I was originally thinking. Could be a do it yourself project.

On another note. I'm damn glad Your Son is doing good. That's a hell of a kid. Going to be a hell of a Man someday.

Patients have made jewelery and sculptures from their removed hardware.

I had my plate bent into a circle to wear on a chain and two of the screws encased in a resin with a tab to wear on the chain. I had the plate in the middle with a screw on each side. I was still a teenager and thought it was cool. Ended up in a drawer somewhere and then a box and haven't seen it in probably 15 years now.

Med schools, Medical and Physio-Therapy supply stores carry/can get plastic bones from the skeleton. If you were to approach them with these circumstances, there's a good chance they'll have a "dealer demo" laying around 'taking up space' and donate it to you.

You'd be surprised just how much "dealer demo" stuff is out there. For instance, how many 'knee' or 'hip' joint models have you seen on doctor's desks? They all start out as the plastic bones I was referring to.

isnt there an animal bone similar to our femur(assuming its his femur)? i bet a butcher shop could provide you with something that looks human. boil it, and soak it in peroxide to make it look nice. lots of info online for doing this.

That stuff is titanium....

Worked a while for a high end scrap alloy recycler/certifyer. Stainless, Titanium, Nickle, were the cash crops. Used get that medical stuff by the pallet load in 55 gallon drums. Rejects from the manufacturer, I'd reckon. All shapes and sizes of screws, stuff like you have there, hip sockets/balls, etc. All pretty medieval looking crap.

We called it all "body parts" when we had to work with it.....

you could pound it and shape it into a full length bedding block for a new rimfire build!!

Life size femur model

Here you go Dodge, if you want to mount the hardware.

That is great that his recovery is going so well, many prayers answered!

He had a pile! If I had been awake I would have asked for what was left of my femur when I lost my leg. I think adding a nice wooden shaft to the remaining length with the knee end as the handle would have been badass.

Awesome...another testimony of His power with a little beckoning from the Sniperhide prayer group.

Just out of curiosity, any idea of the cost of the instrumentation on your insurance bill? My surgeon billed an even 50K for hardware alone of two cages, a plate and three screws.

I've got a similar piece of hardware in my right leg, broke it last November (down in my shin). Surgeon says it can stay in there so am in no rush to have it out.

Dodge, really glad your son is fully back up and running so to speak! Not much fun at all so really glad for him its done and dusted. He's at an age where he can bounce right back - not like us oldies!

ask the mythbusters to make your lucite casting. im sure they have nothing to do after shooting that cannon ball through those houses

Tell him to take it easy for the next 6-8 weeks. There is a risk of fracture through the screw holes until they fill in.

^^^WIN^^^
Update on the idiot nephew. Got himself a DUI on Nov 11 huffing keyboard cleaner while driving, passed out and totaled the truck. Quality fella. Told his mom that he was cleaning the keyboard on his laptop (while driving), and was overcome by the fumes. When I asked my sister in law about it she said that she believed him. Maybe the next stupid thing he does will involve both of them in a Thelma and Louise cliff dive. One can only hope.
Patrick

Wow Dodge just read up on this whole tragedy. I am so glad your son is doing so well and has had such a successful recovery.

That is crazy. Some will not believe their kid is bad. Glad to hear yours is on the mend. That is a lot of metal. It would be cool to have it in a clear bone so everyone can see what happens sometimes.

I also just read the story. Glad he is alive, sounds like it could have been much worse. Your nephews days seem numbered. He needs to get right.