• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Harlikwins cheap night vision buying guide

harlikwin

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2002
I've been asked several times for links to my original guide posted and updated over here:

http://wolverinetechnologiesllc.com/Nigh...on-buying-guide

And also to repost it here. So here goes.

People are free to add their own suggestions, or ask questions:
As for the links in the article, I've bought stuff from a few of the companies over the years but certainly not all of them.

Cheap NV buyers guide

One of the questions I frequently get asked about night vision equipment are recommendations for a “cheap” or entry level system. There are a lot of folks out there that don’t have the $3000+ dollars to invest in a modern top of the line generation3 system and this guide is written for them. I do gloss over a lot of technical issues in this document, but its purpose is intended to be more of an entry level buyers guide than a comprehensive technology review. I have limited the review to sub $2000 systems, with several that can be had for under $1000. Please note I am recommending the most commonly available systems that I have at least some experience with, and this is by no means a comprehensive list. Also, I don’t necessarily endorse all of the vendors listed, though I have dealt with some of them and found them reputable.

So briefly, night vision technology has existed in various forms since the 1940’s and has been in continuous use and improved since then. So if you can’t afford the latest greatest could one of these older ex-military system work for you? The logic being that world militaries being the pragmatists that they are tended to adopt systems that generally worked, which is also why I tend to suggest these systems. Even if they are old they were used to good effect for militaries for decades.
This is in opposition to modern commercial systems that are basically built to be cheap and “sort of” work for a commercial audience. The general advice floating around one the net and that I agree with is not to buy commercial generation 1 system since they have relatively poor low light performance, in fact commercial gen1 systems in my opinion are mostly comparable to the old military gen0 systems and actually inferior to them in several respects.

So what to expect from a basic entry level system.
So, since you cannot spend 3k+ for shiny brand new gen3 system, what can you expect from some of these older systems? The bottom line is you tend to get what you pay for, the cheaper you go the more compromises you will have to make. In this guide I will try to talk folks through a variety of systems ranging from a few hundred dollars to the sub 2k range of prices.
The major criteria I have for a usable system is that it gives you the ability to see further than your unaided night adapted eye in the dark. But there are several things to consider here.

Main considerations
The first thing you must do is to figure out what you want to use the unit for. General night observation? Navigating at night? Weapon mounted sight? Multipurpose unit etc. This is really the first you need to figure out as it will determine what you need to spend. Realize the more “versatile” a unit is the more expensive it will likely be.

The next thing to figure out is what your area of operations will be. One thing most people do not necessarily realize is that moonlight will largely be the dominant lighting mechanism for 80% of the time. Moonlight, can be quite bright, but weather/overcast can certainly affect light levels. And under most moonlight illumination levels most military Gen1 or Gen2 night vision devices will operate quite well. The other environmental consideration is if you plan to work under heavy tree cover, which will cut down on performance, sometimes significantly. The second point is that IR illumination is the great equalizer when it comes to NV performance, by utilizing IR light you will be visible to other NV users but at the same time if your device is not working well to begin with using an IR illuminator is a good method to extend the usefulness of the device. IR illuminators do have drawbacks, however for things such as hunting, or just run of the mill night vision use it’s a good choice.

A few overall considerations

Tube life:
When looking at a used or older night vision device tube life is important to consider. All tubes degrade with use or exposure to bright light, and tube life is defined as the amount of time before the tube reaches 50% of its original performance level. So for example a gen1 unit with 1000hrs on it will in theory work half as well as a brand new tube. And a tube with 2000 hrs will in theory work 25% as well as a new tube. Now realistically a tube that was good to begin with will in experience still work reasonably well with 1000hrs on it, and worst case you can always supplement performance with IR illuminators. In my experience most “surplus” tubes vary widely and it is best to be able to see through the unit under a known lighting situation to asses if the tube still will work for what you want it to do.
The general rules of thumb for tube life are:
Gen1: ~1,000hrs
Gen2 older: 2500-5,000 hrs
Gen2 newer/modern: 10,000 hrs
Gen3: 10,000+hrs

The units worth buying

Generation 1 commercial

Nothing that I am familiar with is really “worth it” in this category though I confess I don’t have much experience with Gen1 commercial units. Realistically the rifle mounted units with a strong IR light might be ok for short range hunting, but if that’s going to be the constraint, it is very likely some of the older military gen0 units might be a better choice since the illuminator will actually be invisible instead of giving off a dull red glow. If you go this route my suggestion is to buy the cheapest unit you can get that still fits your criteria. You can find cheap sub $100 viewers on ebay if you want to get an idea of the capabilities of these systems without spending a lot of money. Most of these units will have all of the disadvantages of gen1 triple cascade system such as distortion, low life, and poor high light response without any of the benefits of the triple cascade such as actual usable low light performance without IR illumination. And this is the main reason I don’t recommend them.

Generation 0

Generation 0 systems are otherwise known as active IR or image converters. They require a fairly strong IR light to function well. These were the primary night vision devices used from the 1940’s into the 1960’s. Many of these units are very old and clunky, however a few militaries did continue to use them and refined them somewhat. One good example is the Ferro51 binocular, it usually comes fitted with a strong IR illuminator and provides a decent crisp clear image at 6x power. Another unit perhaps a bit more common here are the M18 night vision binoculars, again active IR, but reasonably usable. As long as you don’t pay much for these systems and they fit your needs I think they fit the bill for a cheap usable night vision binocular.

Gen1 Triple cascade

This is the original Gen1 technology; it is essentially 3 generation 1 intensifiers bonded together in series to provide a useful amount of amplification. As an example how this works, if you have one gen1 tube, and lets say it amplifies light 50x, so 3 tubes in series will provide 50x50x50 amplification which is 125,000x ambient. So one can look at triple cascade system and see the difference between its performance and a single gen1 tube like you might find in a commercial system. Triple cascade units are usable down to low light levels such as starlight, and by all accounts under really dark conditions can outperform some of the early generation 2 devices that replaced them. The main problem is that 3 tubes bonded together means the device is really quite large compared to later generations.

From my personal experience I can say that the triple cascade units which were in good shape that I have used are fairly comparable to the early gen2 devices such as the PVS-4 in terms of light amplification, but do leave something to be desired in terms of some image distortion as well as reticle design, weight and mounting to weapons, though all of these issues tend to be unit specific.

Advantages of triple cascade are:
generally low cost,
good light amplification,
weapon mountability.

Disadvantages are:
Hard to find repair parts for, especially new tubes.

Limited tube life ~1000hrs on a new tube.

Poor response to bright light in the field of view (Will result in streaking, and may cause the unit to shut down)

Geometric distortion of the image, which can vary from bad, to almost nonexistent depending on the unit.

Re: Harlikwins cheap night vision buying guide

ndividual units I recommend:

PVS-2
The most common gen1 device available in the US. This was the most common night vision scope issued during the Vietnam war, and was used by the US military into the 1980’s and other militaries beyond that.

The good:
Tube gain can be fairly good, though some examples you can buy off ebay can be WELL used. Try to get an idea of how many hours the unit may have had on it, or how well the unit actually works.
Distortion, most PVS-2’s I’ve looked through generally are fairly good about geometric distortion, with only small curvature at the very edge of the viewing field.

The bad:
So the PVS-2 suffers from all the general disadvantages of gen1 systems, such as it is huge, heavy, and it is also vulnerable to: “streaking” poor high light response, relatively short life.

The PVS-2 is relatively unique in that it is zeroed by use of an external mount only. Mounting options are fairly limited, mounts exist for carry handles or AR’s, M14 rifles, and the Galil. A few other mounts exist for machineguns and GL’s and the like as well. One modern option is the Elcan externally adjustable mount, and a few sellers sold pvs-2’s with these, these mounts will work on a modern rail system, though the sight sits really high.

Where to buy:
http://whatacountry.com/anpvs-2nightvisionscope.aspx Advertised at 476
http://www.night-vision.com/nightvision.html Advertised at 695

Soviet era night vision: 1Pn34/58

These are the soviet era equivalents to the PVS-2. Again these units are large and basically only mount to com-bloc side rails, making them a weapon mountable option only if you have such a rail. They are fairly good scopes, though the rule of repairing them goes double since the electronics are foreign and hard to obtain/understand. Currently some spares are offered for sale overseas. The 1pn34 is the older “first generation” model, while the 1pn58 was introduced later and is a bit better in almost all regards. Though overall the two models are very comparable in terms of operation and performance, most of the parts do not swap between the two units.

The good:
Most of these units have basically sat in storage for years so in fact are basically new old stock.

Gain tends to be very good, and the examples I’ve used are very bright even compared to what I believe were very low hour pvs-2 units.

The mounting system is the same as all other combloc optics so it’s easy to adjust and basically works with every side rail I’ve tried it on.

Internal reticle adjustment. The reticle is illuminated, and “internally” adjustable.

The bad

Distortion, while this varies with the unit it is typically worse than a comparable PVS-2. The center of the view tends to be distortion free while the outer edge (area3) tends to be quite distorted. You can find pictures through these scopes on the internet to get a feel what the distortion looks like, though I would say overall the pics on the net do not represent the overall center clarity of the scope very well.

Where to buy:
These are currently available on ebay, and they used to be available through a seller over on the gunboards forums. Price varies a bit but is about 3-400 last I checked.

Other gen1 units:
Other units, particularly of European origin do come up one ebay or other auction sites from time to time. These units, if they work will be comparable or better than to the PVS-2 system. The Europeans stuck with gen1 technology longer than the US and as a result the tubes are usually better with less distortion. And the units usually are easier to mount to stanag rails as they also usually have lit and internally adjustable reticules. The main caveat here is that repairing these units is even more difficult as tubes and parts can be difficult to impossible to find, as are people that can work on them.

Here is a brief list of units you might run across.
Delft HV5x80
Zeiss Orion
British, IWS and trilite sights

Generation 2 systems

Generation 2 was basically the first really “modern” generation of night vision devices and these devices are in current use by many military forces today. Most of the units I will talk about are older units that use the earlier tubes produced and designed in the 1980’s. The main advantages of generation2 technology are basically a distortion free view, compact size, good bright light response compared to generation 1 technology. The one downside is that overall resolution for the earlier tubes tends to be lower than generation1 tubes, though this has improved over time.
For the purposes of the guide I’ll limit the discussion to the cheaper/older gen2 systems available. There are a wide variety of new and used systems available in the 1000-2000 price range. And I will try to limit the systems described here to ones I’ve either owned or used for some period of time.

Scopes:

PVS-4
The most common gen2 scope in the US, lots of these units were sold at auction, or produced for the commercial market back in the 1990’s. There are still parts available for these scopes and probably will be for the forseeable future, also there are plenty of manuals and expertise to help you fix a scope or get it fixed.

The good:

The 25mm intensifier tubes used in these units give good resolution as well as gain if you can find a relatively unused one. Several companies overseas currently do make replacement tubes though they can be pricey. Also a limited number of generation3 tubes were available a few years ago though they had some quality problems so it is possible to upgrade the PVS-4 to a gen3 device (expensive).

Variable Gain. The PVS-4 was the first unit to feature a variable gain, letting you dial the unit up/down in terms of brightness to best match local conditions.

Adjustable reticle, the reticle can be replaced so you have a choice of reticules with built in range finders and ballistics matching, the most common are the M16 and M14 reticules. The reticle is also adjustable for brightness.

The bad.
It’s sort of big and heavy compared to other more modern systems, but it is also rock solid.

Batteries, there are several variations for batteries, the original military BA-5567/U batteries are expensive and hard to find, but AA adapters do exist and will likely come with your unit. There is also a newer body style that also has a built in AA battery compartment.

Prices and availability
Available on ebay from anywhere 800-1600+

Available from these sellers
http://pvs4.com/AN_PVS-4.html 3K+

STANO:
http://www.night-vision.com/nightvision.html Listed at 1895 gen2

JRH enterprises:
http://www.jrhenterprises.com/produc...4&categoryId=3 1995.00

Litton M845

A good alternative available to the PVS-4s you might see around, it is lighter and works quite well. It has been used by various militaries worldwide. You can sometimes find older surplus units, with the usual caveats about buying used. New units can be had new with Gen2+ tubes for under $2000.

http://www.nightvisionscope.us/m845-...ght-p-117.html

Re: Harlikwins cheap night vision buying guide

Goggles:

PVS-5
The PVS-5 was the first real usable head mounted system fielded with the US military. It features binocular viewing which gives you depth perception which can make certain tasks like driving easier.
There were basically 3 versions of the PVS-5 made by a variety of manufacturers.

PVS-5A
The original version, basic gen2 device. Many of these units will a good amount of hours on them if they are used. They are powered by a military BA-5567/U battery only, but there are some battery adapters available.

PVS-5B
Fairly limited use by the military, but widely sold to police and civilians, the frame has a provision for 2AA batteries. Otherwise the same tubes and lenses as the pvs-5a.

PVS-5C
The best of the gen2 PVS-5 series, these had upgraded lenses and many also had upgraded generation 2+ tubes. These units also take AA batteries. When new these units were fairly competitive with the early omni-III contract generation 3 devices.

The Good:
Very usable systems if they are in good shape. Dual tubes means you do get depth perception, or as a handy trick you can set each lens to a slightly different focal plane (one up close, one set for far away) which gives you really good overall focus compared to single tube units that you have to constantly adjust to see close/far away.

The Bad.
The head mount system is not the best or most comfortable thing in the world, but it is usable. And the tubes will most likely have some use on them.

Where to buy
http://www.night-vision.com/nightvision.html advertised at 1995
http://www.jrhenterprises.com/produc...8&categoryId=3 advertised at 1795.00

Pocket scopes/viewers based on the PVS-5 tubes.

A bit of history here, when surplus PVS-5 units cropped up in the 1990’s dealers or individuals quickly realized that one could make a bit more of a profit by taking a pvs-5 unit and chopping it up into two separate monocular units. There were A LOT of these conversions, some done by reputable companies, some done by enterprising individuals. These units represent in my opinion the cheapest way to get into a decent gen2 system. There was a huge variety of models that were made some were head mountable some were not, some used good optics, some did not. If you have a specific question about a monocular like this its best to ask here on the forum.
Some units:

STANO night explorer: $895
http://www.night-vision.com/nightvision.html

Other systems made in the past you might see pop up on ebay from time to time:

Famous trails G2k used surplus Mx9916 tubes. Don’t see many around now, their newer products are gen1 afaik.

Ed Wilcox made a unit that used mx9916 tubes that was reputedly quite good.

I believe Sight-owl made a few units, again utilizing mx9916 tubes

Litton made a night explorer and night mariner which were handy gen2 or gen 3 units
Any number of other companies made gen2 mx9916 based units back in the 90’s and if you can find one that works at a good price its probably a good deal.

Caveats:
As with anything, the tube is the main thing to consider, some of these units used old worn out tubes, some used new tubes at the time, some used tubes with some life on them. Its best to ask for pictures of the unit at least working if one is buying on ebay.

Newer Gen2 monoculars:

It’s certainly possible to buy “new” gen2 units, though these will likely be quite more expensive than their used cousins, but will have new tubes and superior performance.
Keeping with the theme of this guide I’ll mainly take a look at some common sub 2k units that I’ve used or owned:

D300
Probably the most common unit still around today, many use a “new” mx9916 tubes, some also had better Gen2+ or Gen3 tubes fitted and do provide a good bang for the buck, they are head and weapon mountable with common PVS-14 accessories.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eneration.html

http://www.nightvisionstore.com/Nigh...0Monocular.htm

http://www.nightvisionscope.us/night...ope-p-113.html

D121 or D121M
Very similar to the D300’s. The D121M utilized a better Gen2+ tube, while the D121 was a standard Gen2 tube, there were IIRC also some gen3 tubed devices. They are both head and weapon mountable, though only with proprietary mounts that can be hard to find.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/d-121.html

http://www.morovision.com/night_visi...ars/MV_300.htm (D121 under different name)

Others, there are vertainly other units available.