• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harrell's Precision new tactical style brake

vprtoad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
lake titicacca
Just ordered a regular style brake from them, for a hunting rig. Now they are coming out with a Tactical style 4 port brake

Just thought I let ya all know.
They seem like a great bunch to work with.

Re: Harrell's Precision new tactical style brake

Here's one that I got from Lynwood back during the summer.

I had to back taper it.

DSC_0253-1.jpg

The ports are angled upward. This allows the gas to help with muzzle climb during the shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They make one hell of a turret press too. </div></div>

a Turret press?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, a turret press.

In fact, it's on the cover of Glen Zediker's book Handloading for Competition

I have one. It works. Built straight.
</div></div>

That's an excellent book. I'm in the midst of it right now.

His writing is both very good and horrendously bad (stylistically speaking), and he can ramble for a bit, but the wealth of information is staggering. He also knows how to explain difficult concepts clearly.

I recommend it.

I had reloaded for pistols before starting to reload for a precision rifle. I bought Zediker's book before buying anything for precision rifle reloading, and read it cover to cover.

It saved me a ton of money, as I didn't have to buy anything twice.

I didn't make the same choices he did in every case - but the fact that he explained the basis for all of <span style="font-style: italic">his</span> choices helped me to make good decisions for my own reloading process. In fact, I haven't changed any of those decisions.

As you say, it's a good book, despite a writing style I would describe as "chatty".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had reloaded for pistols before starting to reload for a precision rifle. I bought Zediker's book before buying anything for precision rifle reloading, and read it cover to cover.

It saved me a ton of money, as I didn't have to buy anything twice.

I didn't make the same choices he did in every case - but the fact that he explained the basis for all of <span style="font-style: italic">his</span> choices helped me to make good decisions for my own reloading process. In fact, I haven't changed any of those decisions.
</div></div>

Awesome book and I loved it for the same reason. He truly covered each aspect of reloading well and talked about his logic for doing what he does and also the logic for people who do things a different way. I actually liked the writing style, but it is an acquired taste.

I checked his site, didn't see any pics other than the multi port ones?

Those brakes are not on the site... yet.

I posted a pic of one that I got from him this past summer (look up).

He's getting $45 each (shipped free to any US address).

$30 for the radial ported brake.

Call him up.

I'm debating the Badger, Ops Inc on the next build, really would like the NF in US threads. Any experience with the OPs inc on shorter guns in .308?

Nope, just Defensive Edge (came on Rifle) and Harrell's radial ported and 4 port tactical brakes.

Don't be afraid to try one of Lynwood's brakes.

Best deal going on brakes as far as I'm concerned. Hard to beat.

Just my 2 cents

P1251427.jpg

I picked up a couple of brakes today, hot off the mill. ( visualize the Hot Doughnut sign at Krispy Kreme)

Lynwood had a scrapped one so I sectioned it so y'all could see how he has his ports arranged.

Helps to keep the muzzle jump to a minimum.

Excellent Post Dennis...I appreciate the info last night and the pic. I didn't have time to call him today but I will be ordering one tomorrow. The upward angle should minimize muzzle jump drastically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis_in_VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a couple of brakes today, hot off the mill. ( visualize the Hot Doughnut sign at Krispy Kreme)

Lynwood had a scrapped one so I sectioned it so y'all could see how he has his ports arranged.

Helps to keep the muzzle jump to a minimum. </div></div>

Dennis,

If he has a three port 5/8x24 (shorter OAL) I'd be very interested...

John

No Go on the 3 port.

He is only making a 4 port.

I guess if enough demand was there for a 3 port, he would make one.

Right now he has about 24 different brakes (diameter/thread size and pitch/port style)

I am pretty sure that is who I ordered my tuner for my 22 from.Super good people to do business with.

JRob300
Look up centershotrifles.com and check out the CSR Brake. I put one on my 300 RUM and it kicks like a 243. Jim is an awesome guy to deal with but call late in the evening around 4:30 or 5:00. He has several sizes. 80.00

Centerfire1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Centerfire1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JRob300
Look up centershotrifles.com and check out the CSR Brake. I put one on my 300 RUM and it kicks like a 243. Jim is an awesome guy to deal with but call late in the evening around 4:30 or 5:00. He has several sizes. 80.00

Centerfire1 </div></div>

Huh. Funny. This is the brake I currently have planned for my build. I just liked the fact that the Harrel's also had upward facing ports, but I'm trying to stick with a 26" barrel and fit in a 50" drag bag.

See? It all makes sense now.

John

For anyone who has never had the pleasure of dealing with Harrell's, I have to say they are great guys. They have often shipped stuff to me with an invoice. Not many do business that way any longer.
I really like the look of the tactical brake.

I just got off the phone with Lynwood. Very nice guy. Dennis-in-VA had PM'd me and told me that he'd talked to Lynwood and he *would* do a 3 port for me.

He just lops off one of the ports. Simple. In this design, he has 3/4", 1" and starting next week will have 7/8". And he can do 5/8-24 threads.

John

Here is one of Mr. Harrel's radial port brakes. This rifle is a 300 Win Mag firing 240 grain bullets at about 2,650 fps. I can shoot it all day; this is a good product. I just ordered a 4-port brake for another project.

b011.jpg

jrob300, did you get that 3 port from Lynwood yet?

Those of you that have a Harrell's brake on their rifle should post up a picture of it.

Y'all might even tell us how you like or dislike the brake.

I did not. Unexpected change of plans.

PM sent.

John

Anyone using one of his brakes on a 338LM? In the middle of a build and considering options for the brake.

Also, anyone know the most common thread type for a can in 338 calibers? Would like to be able to move to a can in the future and not have to cut/rethread later.

Finished barrel will be .970 or so. I am assuming that I can call and have diameter specified when ordering.