• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harrells Sizing Die

FNG1001

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2022
USA
Anyone have experience with these? I tried calling to get some info, but they are closed for the week until Monday.

Reading the description, it's a bushing die that doesnt include an expander ball/mandrel. Curious how it affects the neck diameter, and how compatible they are on Forster Co-Ax presses.

It's either them, or SAC right now.

Reactions: Dolomite
It is a bushing die with a decapper only. Use whatever bushing you want in the die. They provide a brass head space comparator. Normally you send them 3 fired cases and they match the die size to your fired cases. It works on a coax just fine. If you want to mandrel you have to get a separate mandrel die.

Reactions: nrspence
It is a bushing die with a decapper only. They provide a brass head space comparator. Normally you send them 3 fired cases and they match the die size to your fired cases. It’s not as fancy looking as SAC but it works perfect as it should.
The die sets neck tension without a mandrel/ball ?

You send them a couple of cases that are at least twice fired. They will send you the appropriate die that doesn’t overwork your brass. You won’t beat them for the price .

Only die Ive used for my 6br. My gunsmith told me to get one. Super simple and cheapest 'custom' sizer youll find. The one thing with them that has always bugged me, but doesnt affect accuracy is that the bushing will not size the neck all the way to the N-S junction. It leaves a small unsized piece...maybe this helps with donuts? Never asked them...

Only die Ive used for my 6br. My gunsmith told me to get one. Super simple and cheapest 'custom' sizer youll find. The one thing with them that has always bugged me, but doesnt affect accuracy is that the bushing will not size the neck all the way to the N-S junction. It leaves a small unsized piece...maybe this helps with donuts? Never asked them...
I think SAC bushings fixed that. Not sure if they are compatible with Harrell's die.

Love their dies, and for the price they can’t be beat. I like SAC dies but damn they are expensive. Nothing I shoot shot better coming out of a Harrells die or a SAC die. They both work great.

Reactions: mbeavers1
I think SAC bushings fixed that. Not sure if they are compatible with Harrell's die.
The bushing doesn't change the amount of neck length that's sized.

The design of the die allows most of the neck to be sized. The unsized portion helps to center the brass in the chamber.

They work exactly like the Redding type S die does.

Speedy designed the Redding dies. Do some research and you'll have a better understanding of how they are designed to work.

Last edited:
The bushing doesn't change the amount of neck length that's sized.

The design of the site allows most of the neck to be sized. The unsized portion helps to center the brass in the chamber.

They work exactly like the Redding type S die does.

Speedy designed the Redding dies. Do some research and you'll have a better understanding of how they are designed to work.
Are you referring to Harrells or SAC?

Harrell's and Redding.
Both are designed to size 90+% of the neck length, but not 100%
Changing bushings doesn't change the length of the neck sizing, just the diameter/circumference.

You may be referring to the SAC Modular sizing die Neck/Shoulder bushing that does size the entire neck and bump the shoulder at the same time. However, that bushing can only be used In SAC‘s Modular sizing dies and is not compatable with the Harrells dies. You can use SAC’s standard neck bushings in the Harrells dies and I believe Mike is correct on the partial sizing of the necks with these bushings.

Reactions: patriotnation
Here's my take on all of this:

If you're super concerned about 100% brass fit into your chamber, you need to order a custom die to match your chamber.

Lots of gunsmiths are capable of doing the job. It's expensive, but it does the job 100%.

Another option would be to use a Forster die and have the neck honed to match your preferred loaded neck diameter. You can control shoulder sizing with Redding comp shell holders.

You can buy the SAC modular die and play around with it until it either fits, or you pull your hair out.

Buy the Redding type-S or Wilson and use the correct bushing with the understanding the die was designed NOT to size the entire neck.

Buy the Harrell's and get everything the Redding and Wilson do, with the added benefit of custom web area (AKA the .200 line) sizing.

Buy off the shelf RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Redding, Lyman or Forster dies and simplify your life.

Buy whatever crazy combination the Ewe-Toob expert says you need and size, trim, chamfer, deburr, anneal, neck turn, wet clean and mandrel for neck tension to your heart's content.

Most of the above doesn't make enough of a difference beyond our paper sight in distance because people can't read the wind and mirage well enough to use the minor changes these steps make.

I've gone through most of the above time wasters.

I've gone back to the basics, done correctly.

Reactions: FNG1001