• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harris Bipods, "You have a problem?" "Let me help you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good one to ride if you like Dinsaurs. They will at least talk to you.
Sick and tired of being sick and tired of talking to machines.
Maybe they will make something new?

Reactions: Dpp and Ravenworks
you have no clue what a bipod should do if you call a Harris, Solid and Dependable,

How about Out of Square,
IMG_0837.jpg

Work smarter not harder,

IMG_0838.JPG

There is NOTHING PRECISION ABOUT A HARRIS

It's the lowest common denominator that is ill-suited for 2020

A good one to ride if you like Dinsaurs. They will at least talk to you.
Sick and tired of being sick and tired of talking to machines.
Maybe they will make something new?
Never had a problem getting to talk to a person at B&T Industries for anything Atlas, or Accu-Shot related, and their bipods are actually stable, made in the U.S., and don't catch half of the botanics in the woods. I remember when the Harris-aurus used to rule the Earth but when the meteoric rise of stable QD pic rail, and ARCA rail bipods occurred it made the Harris-aurus obsolete. But hey, I hear ya, I enjoy using a sling shot now and then, just not where it counts.

Reactions: jd138
I didn’t go about it scientifically or keep good records, but my first group after going from a Harris to a Gen 2 CAL was the best group I’ve ever printed. I feel like I shoot better with this Atlas. Also, seeing Kasey’s support on here and hearing about other people being taken care of by Atlas if they had an issue is good peace of mind.

you have no clue what a bipod should do if you call a Harris, Solid and Dependable,

How about Out of Square,
View attachment 7440942

Work smarter not harder,

View attachment 7440945

There is NOTHING PRECISION ABOUT A HARRIS

It's the lowest common denominator that is ill-suited for 2020
Looks like a"panning" induced problem some other bipods have built into them.
Just sayin.

Also, didn't say "solid and Dependable"
But I'll add that too. You have no clue as to what I'm using it for.

Also, didn't say "solid and Dependable"
But I'll add that too. You have no clue as to what I'm using it for.
I don’t think that Frank’s reply was to you. Look above your post and another member used to “solid and dependable” phrase.
cheers

The recoil pulse tells the bullet where the barrel is when it releases the bullet, if your bipod is out of square, inconsistent, it will not be precise, which forces you to work harder to make the best shots possible. I can shoot a single 5 shot group with a good bipod or I can shoot 5 one-shot groups with a shitty one because I constantly have to reset my position, the choice is yours.

I want PRECISION when I am working with my PRECISION RIFLE, I don't need to compromise in this department, can I, certainly, but I can also work smarter not harder.

I find when I learn a lesson, it's best not to take a step backward and make the previous mistakes again as I should have learned that lesson in the first place.

Well I googled rifle bipod, so I now understand what a bipod should do.

I’m not saying a Harris the best bipod for precision work in 2020.
Period.
Full Stop.

I’m saying they have been used by many branches of the military/ agencies/ PRS shooters/ square range guys for a long long time before they were out classed by newer designs. BUT that doesn’t mean they magically stopped working.
It’s means if a shooter decides they need more function from a bipod, there are more options.

I’ll say it again. Because the 6.5creed is better ballistically better than the 308, it’s doesn’t make the 308 trash. It means we (shooters) have options.

You’re option/choice in gear doesn’t make you wrong or right. It’s different strokes different folks.

Last edited:
The recoil pulse tells the bullet where the barrel is when it releases the bullet, if your bipod is out of square, inconsistent, it will not be precise, which forces you to work harder to make the best shots possible...
I can see how a good, square bipod would help minimize that variable. Would it also provide a clear advantage when you have no choice but to set up your rifle on an uneven and/or loose surface? Or do other features or characteristics of the more contemporary designs come into play there? FYI, I'm seriously considering getting an Atlas Super CAL.

Old cars are cool too, doesn't mean I want to drive one every day, my bicycle can get my from Point A to Point B doesn't mean I need to use it

A lot of things can "Work" we used to use tent poles tied together as a front support as the M40A1 didn't have a bipod. So what you are saying is, because great groups have been shot with a Sling we should have no problem using one ?

The Harris is old, out of date, lowest common denominator, since it's inception and more recently have learned there are better choices out there... sure i can put a $5000 rifle on top of a Harris and it will "work" but am I maximizing my effort in order to get the desired results or are the results being limited by my choice in Bipod? If I am happy enough is that enough ?

I think there is value in learning how to build your position and control a gun.

Modern tech allows a shooter to get away with bad technical skills.
Then we see the threads like “My semiAuto won’t group but I can shoot one hole groups with my 27 lb 6br! X gun maker is shit!”

I think there is value in learning how to build your position and control a gun.

Modern tech allows a shooter to get away with bad technical skills.
Then we see the threads like “My semiAuto won’t group but I can shoot one hole groups with my 27 lb 6br! X gun maker is shit!”

Not necessarily I had always been a Harris user until a couple years ago when I bought an Atlas PSR.
So I was used to the way you can somewhat load a Harris since there is very little flex in them and the hard rubber feet tend to scoot when loading. I tried shooting the PSR the same way at first and the results were less than impressive until I became more familiar with it and saw what I was missing.

Reactions: siscoe308
Old cars are cool too, doesn't mean I want to drive one every day, my bicycle can get my from Point A to Point B doesn't mean I need to use it

A lot of things can "Work" we used to use tent poles tied together as a front support as the M40A1 didn't have a bipod. So what you are saying is, because great groups have been shot with a Sling we should have no problem using one ?

The Harris is old, out of date, lowest common denominator, since it's inception and more recently have learned there are better choices out there... sure i can put a $5000 rifle on top of a Harris and it will "work" but am I maximizing my effort in order to get the desired results or are the results being limited by my choice in Bipod? If I am happy enough is that enough ?
What I surmise from your analogy is that a modern bipod should perform better in pretty much all conditions, with their advantage being even greater when shooting conditions approach the ideal.

Yeah, I'm trying to talk myself into that Atlas... ;)

You load them differently

Loading works to take the slack out of the system and manage the recoil pulse. The Harris has no slack in the system so you have to "knuckle" the feet in order to prevent them from sliding. There is a technique to using a Harris which is different than loading a bipod like an Atlas. Atlas has slack, a Harris does not.

A Harris is stamped metal that is neither square nor designed with precision in mind. The springs in the feet, the springs in the legs, the amount of moving parts, the poor build quality. All that matters.

Reactions: siscoe308 and rhsc
What I surmise from your analogy is that a modern bipod should perform better in pretty much all conditions, with their advantage being even greater when shooting conditions approach the ideal.

Yeah, I'm trying to talk myself into that Atlas... ;)
All my Harris Shilling aside....the Atlas bopids are better in nearly every way. You will not regret upgrading.

Reactions: rhsc
Not to mention, a Bipod controls your rifle's cant.

If you can't lock out the bipod, you will pull the rifle over with the bolt, and push the rifle to the side with your head.

99% of Harris users dont' have a podloc on the system to tighten it down, so rather than spend the $20 to add it, they spend 3x more on a level to tell them they are canted, vs attaching a device that actually fixes it.

A bipod properly tightened down and correctly built cannot cant, regardless of the situation.

I have tried many bipods from homemade ones in the '60's to the modern stuff. Atlas, Harris, some high tec Australian made units, others I likley do not recall.
What do I still use for varmint shooting, deer culling etc? First, a RRS Anvil 30 set up. Second Turner Saddlery 1907 type slings, third, Harris bipods. They do work in the field. Of course the Atlas and others are more precise, better made etc. They simply do not offer what I need in the field.
For other uses I am sure they are much better. For my use, not so much.

Anyone who cannot run a Harris bipod without getting hurt should not be handling a rifle.

I have tried many bipods from homemade ones in the '60's to the modern stuff. Atlas, Harris, some high tec Australian made units, others I likley do not recall.
What do I still use for varmint shooting, deer culling etc? First, a RRS Anvil 30 set up. Second Turner Saddlery 1907 type slings, third, Harris bipods. They do work in the field. Of course the Atlas and others are more precise, better made etc. They simply do not offer what I need in the field.
For other uses I am sure they are much better. For my use, not so much.

Anyone who cannot run a Harris bipod without getting hurt should not be handling a rifle.

Worthless anecodote, simply emotion with nothing to back it up,

We used Tent Poles, they worked great too, better than our Turner Slings, doesn't make it right

Sure the Harris IS A BIPOD and will operate LIKE A BIPOD but doesn't make it right

A YUGO IS A CAR,
1987-Yugo-GV-Sport-01.jpg

It will get you from point A to point b, you can say it's a perfectly acceptable ride, you can claim superior mileage to another make, or model, which it probably has, doesn't make it the car you should recommend

Stop with the nonsense, the Harris is out of date, out of spec and no longer worthy of consideration

For most it's an afterthought and just about saving money. The fact you can use it in the field is meaningless, I can use my pack too

When I was in Alaska this year taking @lowlight and Marc Taylor's precision rifle course, it was pretty eye opening to see how many cant issues they had to deal with because of the old school bipods. It made a huge difference and the results were immediately visible.

Yup unless you pay $300+ on a bipod you can't hit shit!!! Dont forget to spend more and buy all the spike feet etc add ons. That makes it even better!

We always swap guys out of a Harris when we can, we often travel with 3 extra bipods if not more for this very reason.

The results are immediate, and very noticeable downrange with no extra effort.

Most don't know what they don't know, and thinking, "it's just a bipod what do I really need to know" is a big part of the problem, Once a person is actually educated on the subject, and I don't mean just hearing about it or reading it, but actually shown and have it demonstrated, the entire dynamic changes.

Yes, I can make a Harris, work... but I can also demonstrate in real-time it's limitations and how those create a negative cause and effect.

Yup unless you pay $300+ on a bipod you can't hit shit!!! Dont forget to spend more and buy all the spike feet etc add ons. That makes it even better!

Seems to me that lipstick was put on the Harris pig first ... in order to make a Harris useful, one has to add a Podloc, extension, new feet, etc

I have a draw full of Harris upgrade kits

Reactions: M77
If the Bipod doesn't matter, why are we not using these rings,

Barska, $39, they look awesome to me

I see no reason not to use these on a $3000 scope, if an $89 bipod is good enough, $39 is plenty for rings, 6 screw, pic rail on top, sold.

BARSKA_AI11490_30mm_Low_Tactical_Tactical_1318248429_822645.jpg

Can we explain this then? And I’m not for a second buying the “they don’t know what they don’t know” with regard to top competitive shooters in the country.

AAAF0638-32B6-4135-BA95-BA03442D2C27.jpeg

Reactions: high right
It's about the triangle of stability and staying inside the triangle

Would you rather something balancing on top of the pyramid or hanging inside for stability?

The wider the stance, the more lateral stability, if you follow those legs up to create a triangle, hanging something inside the triangle will always be more stable vs balancing something on top.

Reactions: gigamortis
We always swap guys out of a Harris when we can, we often travel with 3 extra bipods if not more for this very reason.

The results are immediate, and very noticeable downrange with no extra effort.

Most don't know what they don't know, and thinking, "it's just a bipod what do I really need to know" is a big part of the problem, Once a person is actually educated on the subject, and I don't mean just hearing about it or reading it, but actually shown and have it demonstrated, the entire dynamic changes.

Yes, I can make a Harris, work... but I can also demonstrate in real-time it's limitations and how those create a negative cause and effect.
What brand are you swapping out the Harris for?

Worthless anecodote, simply emotion with nothing to back it up,

We used Tent Poles, they worked great too, better than our Turner Slings, doesn't make it right

Sure the Harris IS A BIPOD and will operate LIKE A BIPOD but doesn't make it right

A YUGO IS A CAR,
1987-Yugo-GV-Sport-01.jpg

It will get you from point A to point b, you can say it's a perfectly acceptable ride, you can claim superior mileage to another make, or model, which it probably has, doesn't make it the car you should recommend

Stop with the nonsense, the Harris is out of date, out of spec and no longer worthy of consideration

For most it's an afterthought and just about saving money. The fact you can use it in the field is meaningless, I can use my pack too

It might be something but it’s certainly not emotion or price.

I’m not emotional about the little pieces of crap at all. They simply are light and do the job I need done.

If I found one I liked better for 10,000 I would call MHS and order it tomorrow.

BTW, I still use my pack as well. Forgot that one.

Maybe they were all strapped for cash and couldn't afford those. Top finishing guys ran Phoenix.

Why are the "PROS" not using these Slik Tripods for competition ?

1540251991_1438842.jpg

At only $230 for carbon fiber, they appear to check every box, should be easy to roll a lower cost tripod into the system and have it work ?

Why do we need to spend $1500 on a RRS ? The Leofoto knocks off at $800 is everything a RRS is, correct?

What does a RRS do a Slik doesn't?

Explain to me how one tripod is superior to another ?

Status
Not open for further replies.