• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harris vs Atlas?

Marksman_92

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
I am curious what bipod you guys enjoy shooting off of more. I have the Harris 6-9 swivel and the Atlas BT10-LW17 and I usually shoot with the Atlas when shooting precision. I mostly bought the Atlas because I was drawn to the rail attachment and the fact that it couldn't pan (until after it arrived and I discovered it did in fact pan). I was shooting off my harris before I purchased the Atlas and discovered it would come a little loose from the rifle and get cocked sideways every once and a while which led me to the Atlas. Now shooting off the Atlas for a couple years I am drawn back to my Harris as I just bought an American Defense mount for it that allows me to secure it to a bipod rail and it integrates the mount onto the bipod itself not allowing any pan at all. I also notice a lot of shooters running the Harris over the Atlas in PRS. I dont know if its due to the price of the Atlas over the Harris or if some guys actually prefer the Harris over the Atlas. I may be getting too analytical but I am curious what bipod you prefer to shoot off off? What bipod do you tend to have a better experience/ group size with?

88426f34bac6657a0eb103ae42766a01.png

There are people who actually do prefer the Harris to the Atlas and have gone back from the Atlas to the Harris, so there is some preference involved. Objectively the Atlas has a better foot system but the Harris is faster to deploy which is one reason some like it more. Also if you are going to keep rubber feet on it (which IMHO are more useful than cleats, spikes, or ski feet) the Harris has better rubber feet than the Atlas.

I am shooting the same Harris I got 11 years ago, the only feature it doesn't have that I should have got it with is the swivel as my rifle is currently ever so slightly off level. I don't really see a benefit to running a rail mount on a Harris, it places the rifle farther away from the apex and with a little loctite I haven't had any issues with it coming loose from a sling stud.

Since I am in the market for a new bipod I was looking at another Harris or an Atlas and I think I am going to go Harris again with a pod-loc. Aside from being 1/3 the price I'd also have to reconfigure my spigot to rail mount an Atlas and the only thing I'd really gain is a bipod that can deploy the legs at 45* which does nothing for me.

Harris also looks better (not that it matters).

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboTrout
Hum, very interesting comments ... and I would assume there should be at least 100 threads already on this topic !!!

I've only been shooting scoped rifles for 5.5 years and I'm just now wrestling with this question again, even though I've been using both Harris and Atlas for 4+ years.

it seems the Atlas rubber feet are more "rubbery" and hence do not move as much on harder surfaces. So, in my book, that makes the Atlas rubber feet "better" than the Harris rubber feet at least on harder surfaces.

My Harris' do not have the "pan" feature. Both of my Atlas BT10s do. And I am decidedly against the PAN feature for precision. I was doing dot drills last week and missing and I stood up and looked down at the atlas bipod from above and noted the right foot was 2 inches behind the left foot a serious recoil management issue ! I should be able tighten up the Atlas to mitigate that. But what I did was go grab a Harris and the shooting results tightened up noticably !

One feature where the Atlas seems clearly superior is "front loading" ... a.k.a. "taking the slack out". It is very easy to tell when you have "taken the slack" out of the Atlas, less so with the Harris.

So, I guess "it depends" ... if I shoot on a hard surface and tighten up the Atlas so it won't PAN, then the Atlas should give better results.

But I am now trying both and will measure the results and act accordingly !!

I guess I should add that I keep my bipod on the rifle. I use it for hunting and stuff too and I don't carry around a sack of bipods or swap out feet

Hum, very interesting comments ... and I would assume there should be at least 100 threads already on this topic !!!

I've only been shooting scoped rifles for 5.5 years and I'm just now wrestling with this question again, even though I've been using both Harris and Atlas for 4+ years.

it seems the Atlas rubber feet are more "rubbery" and hence do not move as much on harder surfaces. So, in my book, that makes the Atlas rubber feet "better" than the Harris rubber feet at least on harder surfaces.

My Harris' do not have the "pan" feature. Both of my Atlas BT10s do. And I am decidedly against the PAN feature for precision. I was doing dot drills last week and missing and I stood up and looked down at the atlas bipod from above and noted the right foot was 2 inches behind the left foot a serious recoil management issue ! I should be able tighten up the Atlas to mitigate that. But what I did was go grab a Harris and the shooting results tightened up noticably !

One feature where the Atlas seems clearly superior is "front loading" ... a.k.a. "taking the slack out". It is very easy to tell when you have "taken the slack" out of the Atlas, less so with the Harris.

So, I guess "it depends" ... if I shoot on a hard surface and tighten up the Atlas so it won't PAN, then the Atlas should give better results.

But I am now trying both and will measure the results and act accordingly !!
Good point with Loading the bipod. I feel as if I get a lot better load on my atlas compared to my Harris which is a bit stiffer. But as you said, after a long string of fire ill look down and notice my atlas is crooked which obviously will effect your down range performance.

I have used my Harris Bipods very little since I got my atlas. It’s so easy to move from one rifle to another and take off during matches on stages where it isn’t needed. That being said I think I’m in the minority at matches everyone else is running Harris Bipods I would awesome because they deploy and retract quicker and it’s what their used to. I’m faster deploying and adjusting my atlas I don’t think it makes a difference. I feels so much more solid.

A match, animal, or target hit or missed will not come down to the Harris or Atlas. I can put 02 ($400) Harris 6-9 swivel noched leg pod lock and feet builds together for the cost of the standard Altas ($360). It goes back to function and available resources for me. “One is none and Two is one”.

I personally like the Atlas over the Harris. I like the feeling that Atlas give you when loading. But not a huge fan of the pan so I see an Atlas CAL in my future to shake out. I also like how Atlas has all the support options right in house. The Harris itself needs some help and you have to go to different companies for solutions. Maybe silly but I feel that Harris hasn’t listened or looked at a thing people want in a bipod for years and put out that same product that is a only a couple simple steps away from good.

Loved the Harris but now that I have the Atlas CAL, I'm torn. Harris rubber feet are better on cement bench but loading the bipod is better on the Atlas. Personal opinion of course.

Loved the Harris but now that I have the Atlas CAL, I'm torn. Harris rubber feet are better on cement bench but loading the bipod is better on the Atlas. Personal opinion of course.
How do you like the Atlas CAL? Thought about selling my current Atlas and putting that money toward the CAL.

I have a Tac 30 action with a 28" Bartlien HV 6.5x47L in an AICS 1.5 Chassis with the spigot mounted Atlas bipod,,scope and all weighs 18.7 lbs,,,shooting it prone with the bipod loaded up tight is almost like using a Farley rest on a bench,,and after learning to really load the bipod hard I can spot my own shots as close as 300 yards,,I really like it a lot,,the Harris may work as well but I havent ever tried it on that heavy a rifle,,

the bipod that came from Sako on Daddy`s TRG42 338LM has them both beat IMO,,that is a heck of a bipod,,

the bipod that came from Sako on Daddy`s TRG42 338LM has them both beat IMO,,that is a heck of a bipod,,

I agree, and am using an RPS bipod whenever I can make it fit on my guns. It is basically a TRG bipod,using a versapod stud for mounting.

I prefer the way the atlas legs have some play and seem to be easier to load than the Harris. The stiffness of the Harris legs makes it harder for me to load. My Atlas was the v8 I ended up selling it because I hated the pan feature and hated that the legs rolled on hard surfaces. I am planning on purchasing the new atlas cal once I have the funds, should fix all the issues I had with the original.

I also agree on the trg comment, it's my favorite bipod by a long shot.

I'm an Atlas Man...tried a Harris, didn't like it. Tried an Atlas BT-10 and it was love at first sight. Sold the Harris and all my guns in the future will wear Atlas.

VooDoo

I am curious as to how the Magpul will compare. I think its safe to say it'll be light, but not sure about how sturdy

I’ve used a Harris for 3 seasons with good results then tried an Atlas for a couple matches but didn’t really like it except for the 45deg folding legs. So I ended up getting the Evolution bipod it’s basically the best of both the Atlas and Harris

Top level shooters use both in comps. It really is personal preference. Don’t overthink it. My preference right now is Harris but I like Atlas too. The only way to know which one YOU like better is to try both of them.

The evolution and atlas are similar but there is noticeable differences. Biggest differences are the pod lock similar to the Harris, the way the legs extend though similar to the atlas by having to pull a collar on the evolution they are spring loaded and shoot like the Harris. Next the feet on the evolution are quick connect like an air hose instead of pushing the little pin on the atlas, the evolution also comes with 2 options for mounting 1 has pan and 1 doesn't, last is the legs are quick connect and come in many different legnths so you can go from prone to sitting by changing the legs.

I prefer the atlas over the Harris. i just like the flexibility of having multiple leg angle positions.

In addition to all the other pros and cons, I found out that the ability to set the Atlas bipod at 45 degrees has really come in handy. Shooting prone at a downward angle from an elevated position, or trying to get super low under a barricade, railing or what not. I tried the Harris at first, but I'm Atlas now and doubt I'll ever go back.

In addition to all the other pros and cons, I found out that the ability to set the Atlas bipod at 45 degrees has really come in handy. Shooting prone at a downward angle from an elevated position, or trying to get super low under a barricade, railing or what not. I tried the Harris at first, but I'm Atlas now and doubt I'll ever go back.
I agree, I do use the 45 degree legs more than I thought I would. Especially at my local range the shoot house is elevated so it is hard to get the muzzle of the rifle low enough for the 100 yard zero. It makes it nice to be able to drop the legs a little lower so I can get in a comfortable position behind the rifle.

I have the 5h bipod took me a while to convince my self to get it considering the price tag. Glad I did.

Both good. Atlas has more versatility, so it has certain advantages over the Harris on certain props/barricades. Though there is something to be said about the simplicity of the Harris. As you mention, lots of the top PRS shooters are successfully using the Harris.

If you get the Harris, make sure you get a KMW pod-loc for it. I think the cant of the older versions of the Atlas is it's weak point. My older Atlas just recently lost all it's ability to hold any cant tension. Never tried a CAL version, so I can't speak to that.

My new favorite bipod is the Ckye-Pod. In a whole different league (and budget) then the Harris and Atlas. It has the rigidity of the Atlas (and then some) with the versatility (again - and then some) of the Atlas. In it's lowest/widest configuration, it's the most solid bipod I've ever been behind. You can adjust the pan and tilt tension to your liking. The legs can be extended so it's ~19" tall, or down to about 4". Legs can also be moved in different positions forward (like an Atlas), and has a built in barricade stop. You can also get a dedicated ARCA/RRS head for it, which is nice.

I think a Harris is ideal for PRS and hunting because of how quick you can unfold the legs. Shooting at the range is a different story, I like Atlas and LRA. LRA my favorite right now although I would like to try a pod lok atlas and an elite iron. A friend just bought the EI so I just need to hit the range with him and see how I like it

I’ve tried them all and I am actually using a TipTop bipod right now and love it. Best of both worlds imo and cheaper. If I was going simply for proven robustness then I’d go for the Harris! I to like the Sako bipod other than its floppiness! It’s fine when loaded but that sucker flops around more than a dried fish on crack!

I’ve got an Atlas V8 and I can tell you that I like it, but I hate that the legs roll. I’m not sure if there was some specific reason they made it that way, but I haven’t heard of anyone who likes it. This effectively makes loading the bipod on a smooth surface impossible. By the way, if anyone knows of a DIY way to make them not roll, I’m all ears! I’m not wanting to buy another one.

I’ve got an Atlas V8 and I can tell you that I like it, but I hate that the legs roll. I’m not sure if there was some specific reason they made it that way, but I haven’t heard of anyone who likes it. This effectively makes loading the bipod on a smooth surface impossible. By the way, if anyone knows of a DIY way to make them not roll, I’m all ears! I’m not wanting to buy another one.

That seems to be one of the biggest gripes with Atlas; IIRC the more expensive PSR model has non-rotating legs

I've been an LEO SWAT Sniper for the last decade. I just sold my last Atlas, and have Harris on all of my rifles now. The main reason for me, is how much faster you can deploy the Harris. The Atlas is a quality piece for sure, but as this question continues to come up, I think its just a personal preference.
We just outfitted our team with Desert Tech rifles and they all have Harris bipods on them.

I have a CANT Atlas that I use on my .338 for prone ELR and like it a lot for that application. I tried it on my match rifle and have returned to my trusted Harris for that application. I have not owned any of the other Atlas bipods, but see plenty of guys using them with good results. I think that it still boils down to personal preference and what it is that you are looking for and comfortable with.

Not wanting to drift, but with “fast deployment “ being the main attraction to the Harris, it will be interesting to see how the new Magpul bipod serves prs shooters when available. For the price point I’m in.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Looks like the same price range as the Harris so it better bring something to the table that will pull people from Harris.

I am curious what bipod you guys enjoy shooting off of more. I have the Harris 6-9 swivel and the Atlas BT10-LW17 and I usually shoot with the Atlas when shooting precision. I mostly bought the Atlas because I was drawn to the rail attachment and the fact that it couldn't pan (until after it arrived and I discovered it did in fact pan). I was shooting off my harris before I purchased the Atlas and discovered it would come a little loose from the rifle and get cocked sideways every once and a while which led me to the Atlas. Now shooting off the Atlas for a couple years I am drawn back to my Harris as I just bought an American Defense mount for it that allows me to secure it to a bipod rail and it integrates the mount onto the bipod itself not allowing any pan at all. I also notice a lot of shooters running the Harris over the Atlas in PRS. I dont know if its due to the price of the Atlas over the Harris or if some guys actually prefer the Harris over the Atlas. I may be getting too analytical but I am curious what bipod you prefer to shoot off off? What bipod do you tend to have a better experience/ group size with?
I have used both and currently using a Harris. That’s ADM mount is what I use as well. Great combo.

I prefer the Atlas because if you run out of ammo, it can be used as a mele weapon its so well built lol.

I have both and use both. BUT if I had to choose based on cost... it would be harris.
I do like the way that (to me) the Atlas "loads" easier, but the harris is "workable". I use pod loc's on the Harris's that I have and they do make for an easier adjustment to the pan/tilt. One thing that does bother me about the Atlas is how I have to push a button to lower each leg and they are not spring loaded... it is more difficult for me to do.
In the end I am a fan of both.

I used Harris for years. Got a PSR and it's been my "go to" ever since.

I like Atlas far better than Harris. That said, I still have 2 Harris, one of which has a QD mount from ADM which makes it bulky heavy and tall unnecessarily, but that is the one I use shooting AR15s

For matches, I liked the flexibility of the Atlas, whether shooting with the feet backwards on a roof, split legs on a barrel, ultra low through cement pipes, etc.

General shooting I prefer the Atlas PSR. Haven't used the other ones in their lineup.

My rec to anyone buying new, Atlas PSR. You can always find a used Harris, but PSR holds value well.

And just works better.

ONLY thing I like better on the Harris are the legs deploy quickly with one hand if you attach a line to both legs and pull backwards. Not an issue for me personally

and I HATE the traditional swivel stud mount on the H, ugh...

Don't limit yourself. Support the industry. Get one of each.

I have and use Harris (sometimes), I have and used Atlas. Didn't really like either very much.

Just got a CAL off a member here. Definitely the best Atlas yet, imo. I greatly prefer wider legs, like the TRG style bipods. I greatly prefer lighter bipods. The CAL is a pretty good blend of both, though not a winner in either division. So far, it works well though.

The DLOC pic rail conversion is mandatory for a Harris. The sling stud thing was great in 1998, but the ability to use a pic rail with qd is so nice and rigid.

Disclaimer, never used an atlas. Like my Harris.