• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hart barrel on rem700 action

EasyGravy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2014
syracuse
www.facebook.com
I have an extra rem700 la laying around in 30.06. I was going to do a build off this. I would like some feedback from the smart hiders out there.

I contacted hart barrels, which is 15 min from my house. They want $700 for a custom contour usmc barrel, 1/12twist 6 groove, with the 1.200 for 4" to.975 I think, action mounted, trued and some other gunsmithing. They currently running 10months out.

Does anyone forsee and issue with this barrel on 30.06 instead of 308? If so, suggestions for twist/groove/length?.

I was also going to keep the old trigger but have the smith take in down to 3 or 2.5 lbs pull. I was going to put on mcmillan a-4 stock on it.

So I guess I could buy a new rifle probally for the finish price of this and glass. But this rifle was my first, given to me by my father so I was going to suprise him this year and pull it out rebarreled and with decent glass. We are father and son both marine combat vets(vietnam68,Iraq 03/04) so Im kinda going for a m40 knockoff effect. Im sticking in 30.06 as I have a ton of brass, and reloading supplies for it. So I guess what Im really asking from you knowledgable folks is your thoughts on mine?

Rem700 LA 30.06( New hart USMC contour barrel..1/12 6groove 25"(1.200×4"--.975?)
Action and barrel mounted and trued at HartBarrel
Keep origional trigger but smithed to 2.5-3 pull
Mcmillan a-4 stock
Nightforce 5.5x22x50(20moa base)
Approx cost $ 2500

We nusance permit hunt a grapevinyard/ applefarm from a elevated pos and 300-600 yard shots are very easy to obtain.(4×4treestand w/heat)
Thx for any and all constructive critisism on my upcoming endevour.
Brent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Semper Fi Devil Dog, if you can I'd recommend you go with 10 twist instead just in case you'd like to try the heavy bullets. Although 12 twist should stabilize most bullets, I'd rather go 10 twist. No knowledge on Hart barrel co or their work so I can't comment on that. Good luck

I know that Hart does that kind of work for Iron Brigade in North Carolina and it seems to work well. I agree with 81sfo, get a 1:10, as it is more versatile than the 1:12.

I had Hart chamber my 300Win Mag about five years ago. It was my first custom rig and still on the most accurate rifles I own. Cosistantly .5moa or better most groups are in the .3's.I started doing my own work but if I hadnt id use them again for sure. Delivery was to the exact day.

Not sure on your budget and dedication to that particular contour and builder, but 700 seems a little pricey for a barrel. There are some highly recommended builders here on the hide that stock all components. You may find a contour close to that for about half, and a builder that could produce the same high quality with a lot less wait. I would check Accurate Ordinance, southern precision rifles, Short action customs, Pierce engineering, and the list goes on. I would also recommend the faster twist. You will probably want to shoot 180gr or higher at the further distances.

I just had my rem 700 300 wm rebarreled and accurized by pierce. I supplied the barrel which was a broughton cost $385, accurize, chamber barrel, brake and recoil lug were $640. I was in no hurry but waiting on the barrel was about 8-9 weeks, and then 7 weeks at pierce eng . Now I have a aics stock which only requires bolting in, no bedding work, and my total build time was around 4 months. The quality of the work was excellent by pierce and I am 100% satisfied.

Last edited:
The barrels only $375, the action trued, and barrel put on and some other smithing I asked was $700 per my email to hart. And yes the 10 month wait is killer. But I have several other rifles to make it through the summer. But i hear where your coming from. Maybe just buy the barrel and have a smith that isnt so commercially busy

OldHartcatalog_zps17393943.jpg

That is my 308 Sako that PJ and Mr Sutton put together for me. Long time ago, but was and is worth every penny.

Do it, you are on the right track and having all the brass etc makes it a better proposition for you.

I lived in Syracuse for 4 years and hunted near Pebble... beautiful country that.

You can also go to bugholes.com and get a barrel from Greg . He has plenty brands in stock Bartlein ,Rock ,Obermeyer ,and also does the gunsmithing. The contour your looking for is a number 7 or m24/m40 contour. look up Chad Dixon of Longrifles inc as well he had a killer group buy going on for truing and chambering and his wait time was fairly quick .

Last edited:
my .308 accurate ordinance rifle, which I bought from another hide member I was told was built in 4 or 5 weeks. He supplied the action. It also has a aics stock so no bedding work. They supplied the barrel which i am not sure the contour. It appears be a straight taper 1.250 to .980 at the muzzle 22 in long 1 in 11.25 twist. Top quality workmanship. I will be building a .260 soon and they will probably get to build it.

Hart makes great barrels and they do a great job installing them. One of my most accurate rifles ever was a M70 winchester with a Hart barrel fitted by them in 7mm STW. 700 is about the going rate for a maker installing their barrel. A 1-12 twist is fine unless you want to shoot the super heavies, people have been shooting 180 gr bullets out of 12 twist 30-06's for over a hundred years, I had to laugh when I read the post about needing a faster twist to shoot a 180. A 10 twist won't hurt anything though. 10 twist is pretty much the standard twist for a 30-06.

However, if you wanted it faster then you could do the group buy on here if you can locate a M24/40 profile barrel. Bugholes.com has M24/40 profile 30 cal kreigers in 10 and 11 twist in stock. $340 shipped for barrel, 125 for action truing, 200 barrel fitting, 15 for bead blasting and you're in it for $680, about the same as Hart would charge you but you'd have it a lot quicker.

Last edited:
Garyc i checked that bugholes out. It just says 30 cal 1/10 twist. Will call there in am. Thx for unput guys.

Garyc i checked that bugholes out. It just says 30 cal 1/10 twist. Will call there in am. Thx for unput guys.

You have to keep scrolling a few more down the page, the 11 twist is listed farther down. Here's the link, it says they have 14 of the 11 twist M24's in stock and 6 of the 10 twist M24's:

Krieger Barrel

Yes the krieger m24/m40 works fine.Most contours listed will work on the rem action, the gunsmith will need to thread and chamber it as these barrels are only blanks. When you order the mcm a4 make sure to order for the m40 contour barrel channel ,or if your going with the mcm a4 usmc spec stock but in long action becuase the 30-06 is a long action not short...then it's already milled for the proper contour barrel of m24/m40.
If you have any questions on the stock or barrels feel free to email me brother
[email protected]

Last edited:
Here is a group shot out of my Weatherby vanguard wearing a hart barrel. 300win mag 28" 1:10" 208amax @2975. 5shot group. The dot is just under 1/2".