• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Has anybody cut down their Remington 308 to 16.5"?

patches

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Wichita KS
www.smtco.biz
Well fellas, like the title states: Has anybody cut down their factory Remington .308 SPS, PSS, SPS Tactical, etc down to 16-16.5" from the recoil lug? If so could you please let me know your results? I really would appreciate anything you guys have to say before I go and get this cut down and threaded for my can.
Pictures would be greatly appreciated as well as any velocity reports.

My build is going to be a SPS Tactical in an AICS 2.0, Jewel Trigger, Nightforce 3.5-15, and so on. Just kinda a fun gun. Nothing over 5-600 yards. I have my DTA SRS for that.

I am <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">v</span>ery</span> concerned about the 1:12 twist stabilizing 168 FGMM in that short of a barrel. Thanks in advanced for your help.

Ryan

Re: Has anybody cut down their Remington 308 to 16.5"?

Jasonk...... you never sleep, do you?

Thanks for the info, I PM'd him.

Any other information from you guys out there would be great.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jasonk...... you never sleep, do you?
</div></div>

Here to serve, Sir!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Has anybody cut down their factory Remington .308 SPS, PSS, SPS Tactical, etc down to 16-16.5" from the recoil lug?</div></div>

As a matter of fact, yes................well kind of, it wasnt a factory barrel, It was from my accross the course gun that didnt really shoot like I wanted. My grandaughter needed a science project and I needed a doner action to make my grandson a hunting rilfe.

This was a 26 in douglas barrel, 308 using remington 180 factory corloc bullets. My grandaughters projected called for cutting the barrel two inches at a time from 26 to 16 inches, messuring the results.

Here is what she came up with Velocity wise. It will give you an idea.

26 2826
24 2722
22 2713
20 2677
18 2654
16 2552

Kraig-
Thanks a lot for the input. I think I remember running across this information from you a while back.
Was there any effect on accuracy? My main concern is getting the round stabilized with the 1:12 factory barrel.
Thanks
Ryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jasonk...... you never sleep, do you?
</div></div>

Here to serve, Sir! </div></div>

You must have some vampire blood?

Don't know really, she was only concerned with velocity and its relation to energy. We didnt even recrown the barrels after each cut.

Besides, in my 308s I dont use light bullets, so I've stuck with 1-10s on all my 30 cal guns.

I wouldnt think so though, the biggest advantage to longer barrels is in the use of iron sights where you need the longer sight radius.

168's will stabilize just fine.

I didnt realize the factory Core-Lokt bullets were running that fast...2826 is moving well for a 180 grainer, even if it was a 26 inch barrel. Do you remember what twist it was?

It is cool your Grand Daughter was interested enough to do the project....Kudos for her...thats awsome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you remember what twist it was?</div></div>

1 in 10