• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Has anybody done a Tikka 7 Saum?

Bandaid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2017
AZ
I am seriously thinking about doing a 7Saum using a 300 wsm Tikka action. Has anyone done one? Looking for some advise mainly on chassis and magazine selection as it seems that regular short action tikka calibers seem to be a little picky on aics mags and I have no idea how a magnum cartridge will affect the way it will feed.

Thanks in advance.

I did 1 in 7 SAUM and a couple in 6.5 SAUM. I don't like the idea of putting that case in the 1x16TPI thread pattern but that's another discussion.
The owners have been using aftermarket chassis with AICS mags that they modified the feed lips for. They didn't ask me to make them feed, just to make the barrels so my experience past what was handed to me is limited.

They can certainly be made to work though, but based on my experience with the plastic factory magazines I suspect the reliability is increased substantially with a chassis that runs AI pattern boxes.

Thanks for the reply! I will probably be giving it a shot. I will Not be using a factory magazine or stock - it will probably be going in a KRG X-ray or MPA chassis.

I figured if Tikka is chambering the 300 wsm and other such calibers they feel that 1x16 is enough to take the pressure right? have you seen any issues with this or are you just adding to the safety factor?

Reactions: Robert Gradous
I have a friend that got a 7 SAUM built on a Tikka action with a Bartlein barrel from Western precision. Gun shoots lights out he is running the Factory stock and mag( some modifications was done to mag not sure what I can ask) it’s his hunting rig so weight was a factor.

I've done a couple 7 saum and one 300 WSM on Tikka actions paired with KRG X-ray chassis. Just use Accurate WSM mags and you will be good to go. All of mine fed great and shot lights out. I ran 168's in the SAUM and everything from 180's to 215's in the 300 with zero issues. LRI Chad Dixon's place can get you fixed up in a hurry.

Old thread but any updates? Anyone run 180 ELDM'S? I'm planning on turning my 7mm T3X into a SAUM.

I have done probably 25 more since the start of this in Tikka barreled actions and Tikka replacement barrels. I haven't had any complaints about feeding issues yet but again we're just doing rebarrels on them not full builds. Normally though if there's a problem I still hear about it and get asked for advice and I haven't heard of anything.

Reactions: Robert Gradous