• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anybody heard of aftermarket support of Savage's Impulse?

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
I saw that there is an older Savage Impulse thread but there doesn't seem much going on there. Not much interest in here in the Savage Impulse or just not much exposure? While not new or innovative in general, it is certainly new and revolutionary in American firearms mass production rifles. I think it took real balls to bring this rifle to market. Savage was smart with the design in that it still uses large shank 110 barrels. It does however use its own trigger and stock.

I realize that aftermarket support relies entirely on sales of the rifle. However, sales sometimes rely a bit on what's available for it on the aftermarket. I guess it's a little of a chicken or the egg scenario. I was wondering if those in "the know" might have heard if there were any in the industry that were looking to support the Savage Impulse with their products? Like MDT? Or trigger companies? I have heard that TriggerTech is developing a trigger for it but that is pretty far out yet.

I finally got my hands on a Predator, just play with. It is extremely slick and smooth to operate. It has an interesting movement that I found very quick and natural. Overall, my very superficial impression was very positive and I liked the action more than my Savage 110's. The Impulse does need to add a long action. Currently, its longest cartridge is the 300 Win Mag. To meet my needs a long action chassis, like the MDT AAC, that takes 3.850 AICS magazines would be required. I have no doubt that will happen if they start selling the versions they have. MSRP ranged from $1,379 to $1,449. Right now, that's what they're selling for if you can find one.

If you know theres a thread on it then why didnt you post in there?

I didnt even realize the thing was released yet. But then again I dont really care because its a savage.

If you know theres a thread on it then why didnt you post in there?

I didnt even realize the thing was released yet. But then again I dont really care because its a savage
I did post there but the thread was older and I didn't think anyone would see it so I started a new one in hopes of letting more people know about the Impulse. I guess it worked, at least once.

any update? love my predator I wouldn't be surprised if this year other strait pulls come to market at shot show . Iv seen Boyed stocks inflated for the impulse. are there any other ?

any update? love my predator I wouldn't be surprised if this year other strait pulls come to market at shot show . Iv seen Boyed stocks inflated for the impulse. are there any other ?

I doubt It. It doesn't seem like a big seller.

Savage partnered with MDT to make an ACC chassis for the Elite precision Impulse model, but I don't see it offered with an Impulse action on their website.
1672285279118.png

The problem with the MDT variant is that the buttstock won’t fold. By the time it’s wearing a suppressor it’s too difficult to carry it sling barrel down.

I have a couple of rifles with 26” barrels like the precision elite. I have to fold the buttstock so the suppressor does not drag on the ground.

Does anyone know of a way to modify the MDT chassis so that the buttstock folds?

Last edited:
The problem with the MDT variant is that the buttstock won’t fold. By the time it’s wearing a suppressor it’s too difficult to carry it sling barrel down.

I have a couple of rifles with 26” barrels like the precision elite. I have to fold the buttstock so the suppressor does drag on the ground.

Does anyone know of a way to modify the MDT chassis so that the buttstock folds?
MDT makes a XTN interface folding stock, the SRS-XF

Reactions: Longshot231
MDT makes a XTN interface folding stock, the SRS-XF
It’s pricey but looks like it would work. Before I’d invest in the precision elite, I would be calling MDT to make sure it will fit.

MDT sells a folding buttstock for their ACC chassis.

I have a couple of rifles with 26” barrels like the precision elite. I have to fold the buttstock so the suppressor does not drag on the ground.

A lot of people thought there was a market for a US made, affordable, straight pull. Maybe there is, maybe being in a Savage footprint is a turn off. Gun Tests just reviewed it, very positively, and noted that they were able to run it about 15% faster than comparable PRS style actions. My suspicion is that if Tikka, or even Bergara, released something similar, in their footprints, they would be impossible to find on the shelf. I also think the platform is only one or two PRS wins away from being the next big thing... We'll see if that ever happens.

I didn't realize they had released a rimfire version of it.

A lot of people thought there was a market for a US made, affordable, straight pull. Maybe there is, maybe being in a Savage footprint is a turn off. Gun Tests just reviewed it, very positively, and noted that they were able to run it about 15% faster than comparable PRS style actions. My suspicion is that if Tikka, or even Bergara, released something similar, in their footprints, they would be impossible to find on the shelf. I also think the platform is only one or two PRS wins away from being the next big thing... We'll see if that ever happens.

I didn't realize they had released a rimfire version of it.

I don't think the Impulse is a standard Savage footprint, more like it's own specific footprint. Savage 10/110 stocks won't fit an impulse.

Not that a proprietary footprint with no aftermarket support is better.

Strasser has a R700 footprint straight pull that they are supposed to begin importing into the US, but the MSRP is about $3500 usd, so not as affordable as the Impulse.

Last edited:
Because of it using AICS magazines, the Predator model is the only model that interested me.
If Savage came out with an updated better feeding factory magazine for the other impulse models, I feel the impulse line would have been received much better.
While it's not a Blaser or Strasser, after break in the bolts run smooth as silk.
After two years of barrel swaps and hard field usage I can say my predator's are 100% reliable in any of the four calibers I've ben using.
With the 308, 260 rem and 243, I use the same magazines, but I had to buy two mag's and adjust them for reliable feeding with the 20-250 cartridge.
I was looking to buy an Impulse Elite to shoot comps with in 2024, but I think I'll just re barrel one of my Predators in 6 creed and see what happens.

SJC