• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anybody used Midwest Powders 675?

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
I've been looking for IMR4831 for a while. Local gun range has had me on the list for 8lbs since before Christmas.

My buddy sent me a link for Midwest Powders 675. Supposed to be similar to RL-22 which is supposed to be slightly slower than 4831.
Anybody ever use it before? I am loading 115 DTACs and 115 Berger VLD hunters in 243 with 1:7 twist.
Right now I am touching bullet holes at 400 yards with DTACs and IMR4831. I need more powder but would hate to buy this and then not like it.....

Here's the link. 16lbs for $349. Free shipping and no hazmat.
Maybe its a scam? Too good to be true?

I would get more information on the powder before buying any. Are they Single base extruded or double based ball powder?

Before buying, I would like to know where the powder was sourced from. I wouldn't be surprised if they are SMP ball powders, which would be quite different from your IMR single base powder.

just picked up a couple M 600 and M670, they said they are basically norma powder... don't know what the Sd will end up being, figure if I can't make it work I'll just sell it.

OK finally made it to the range with some Midwest powder that on the label says to use reloading data from Norma MRP.
shooting a 300 PRC with a 208 ELD and 230 SMK's both using 74 grains .020 off the lands, virgin lapua brass.

SD's were ok, sub 5 with the lowest at 1.5, so no problem there
Temp sensitivity, it's picky, load a round into a hot rifle and let it sit for 5-10-15 seconds, it's going to pickup some speed, specifically in my rifle it picked up 30 FPS at the rifles hottest, which according the barrel temp tape was 115F.
My estimation is a 2 FPS/Degree cal factor, but without an icebox, a cold bore shot and all the gear for weather etc that is a guess. It's no RL17 or Varget though, but for a large bore rifle I was pleased.

Pushed the bullet a little faster and went to 75, 76 grains and it picked up speed pretty quick, max V was 3138 with 208's sd's remained below 7.5.

No pressure signs with anything, heavy bolt lift etc and it seemed to burn very clean as well. Ended up pushing 30 rounds down range and no fouling like with RL33 on my 33xc.

hope this helps.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee