• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone bedded their Savage MKII

Re: Has anyone bedded their Savage MKII

How do you like that SSS stock? Mine MkII should be here in the next week or so and I'm trying to decide whether or not to change out the laminate stock for another one. If you do bed your stock, let me know how the results go!

I like my SSS stock looks great, but am not thrilled about all the work I'm having to do to it to get it to bolt up. It's definitely not plug and play. I bought it second hand for 200 bucks but it was unaltered from the factory. I had to take down quiet a bit of wood out of the magazine well area to just to get the forward bolt hole to align. There's also way too much wood left in the barrel area of the forearm. On the original stock I could pass 3 one dollar bills between the forearm and the barrel all the way back to the action. I sanded on the SSS stock with 60 grit paper for almost 4 hours and never even got close. I finally gave up sanding and placed flat washers between the stock and the barreled action where it bolts up in order to raise the barrel and action off the stock. Even after sanding, it took 4 washers or approximately 1/4 more inches to accomplish this. Still haven't shot it since then so I may not have accomplished anything. Hence my question regarding glass bedding?

I had the same problems with my stock. It shoots well enough un-bedded that I'm not going to go through the trouble of doing it.

OOp's sorry for the Nero post...

I have the Boyds' Tacticool stock and it needs bedding. I pillar and Devcon bedded mine. It shoots much more consistent now.

DSCF7517_zps8fa06e49.jpg

25yd target.

IMG_20130811_154210_950_zps5f3b2ba8.jpg

Re-zeroed on the top left 2, then dialed it in. The one inchers on the right were after dialing it in. It should do better from a real bench than bent over a 18" panel at an indoor range.

Last edited:
I used the idea of the nylon spacers for pillars found on another thread. Their diameter was almost perfect and the height was also very close as well in my Boyd's stock. I already has the DIP bottom metal and the thin amount of wood didn't sound too happy when you torqued the action down even lightly. After putting the makeshift pillars in using Devon to hold them in place and build up the thin material it torques down with no wood creaking, shoots more consistent, and returns to zero after taking the action in and out of the stock.