• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone built a 6.5 creed on a long action and long-loaded the ammo?

The 65cm already has a lot of freebore, put a 140 hybrid in there and seat to 2.93 and you're utilizing all the case capacity. Yeah eldm or 150+ gr Bergers could utilize another 40k freebore and be loaded near 3.000 coal, but in reality you're going to gain max of 50fps. You want a fast 65, build a prc or Saum on medium, long or Tikka action.

I've done it a few times and throated the chambers about 0.06" further. The performance with 153/156 class bullets was improved less than 50 fps and the barrels shot out faster to where the owners got substanially lower life. I think that came from a mix of having an extremely heavy bullet for caliber mixed with a long throat, net results weren't impressive.

If you are going to run a LA then a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 is a better option if you want speed without going to a magnum bolt face.

6.5x55 was the original
If loaded to modern pressures in a modern action with a modern bullet, it works quite nicely and still gives you decent barrel life.

6.5x55 and 6.5-284 both get you the option for Lapua brass.

Reactions: chevy_man
Lots of people did it with 260 Rem and Tikka using 4831sc but you won’t get as much if any with 6.5 creed.

Thanks for your insights. I’ve been considering 6.5mm-06, but thought I would ask about the 6.5 Creed to cover the bases. If you have real world experience with the 6.5mm-06, please reply or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Thanks for your insights. I’ve been considering 6.5mm-06, but thought I would ask about the 6.5 Creed to cover the bases. If you have real world experience with the 6.5mm-06, please reply or send me a PM.

Thanks!
I personally burned out 3 barrels in 6.5-06. It's a really hot performer.

I can't tell you what RL26 will do in it because I stopped shooting it in 2010.

I had excellent success with H1000 and Retumbo shooting 140 VLD's. Using a 26" barrel I was comfortably pushing 140's at 3250fps and saw speeds as high as 3350 but it was really hard on the brass at that point.

VLD's suffer from fussy seating depth and so I had to load ammo in 50 round batches with sequential load lengths. They had to be fired in sequence over a weekend or it wouldn't behave properly with those bullets. Using 140 Amax it didn't really matter what length I loaded them to, everything shot really well.

Using 30-06 brass I had to neck turn because it got too thick. I switched to 25-06 brass and it was much less of a headache to prep brass. Doing it again I would have another reamer ground with a 0.299 neck so I didn't have this problem.

bohem,

I tried sending a pm, but it wasn’t allowed.

I read your reply to my thread and I have some questions.

Was your chamber a standard 6.5mm-06 Asquare or an A.I. or other?

What twist rate and length were the barrels?

Did they shoot well out to 1,000 yards?

What type of shooting did you do with it, such as F class, PRS, or just long range fun?

Thanks!

bohem,

I tried sending a pm, but it wasn’t allowed.

I read your reply to my thread and I have some questions.

Was your chamber a standard 6.5mm-06 Asquare or an A.I. or other?

What twist rate and length were the barrels?

Did they shoot well out to 1,000 yards?

What type of shooting did you do with it, such as F class, PRS, or just long range fun?

Thanks!
josh (at) patriotvalleyarms.com

I get on here sporadically.

1) Straight up 6.5-06 with the normal shoulder and neck. Doing it again I would go to a 30 degree improved.
2) At the time I had 2 shilens and a kreiger, I installed them myself. All were 26" and 1:8's
3) I shot 140 VLD's to 1540 and 140 Amax to a mile target. THe VLD's wouldn't transition well but the Amax had no problems. At 1000yd it was cake.
4) PRS didn't exist at the time, it was what we called "Field Matches" and "Sniper Matches". Mix of paper and steel, it didn't look like PRS as we know it today. Typical stages were 5-8 rounds.

I personally burned out 3 barrels in 6.5-06. It's a really hot performer.

I can't tell you what RL26 will do in it because I stopped shooting it in 2010.

I had excellent success with H1000 and Retumbo shooting 140 VLD's. Using a 26" barrel I was comfortably pushing 140's at 3250fps and saw speeds as high as 3350 but it was really hard on the brass at that point.

VLD's suffer from fussy seating depth and so I had to load ammo in 50 round batches with sequential load lengths. They had to be fired in sequence over a weekend or it wouldn't behave properly with those bullets. Using 140 Amax it didn't really matter what length I loaded them to, everything shot really well.

Using 30-06 brass I had to neck turn because it got too thick. I switched to 25-06 brass and it was much less of a headache to prep brass. Doing it again I would have another reamer ground with a 0.299 neck so I didn't have this problem.
I'm shooting 140 gr VLD's at 3250 fps from a 280 Ackley Improved with a 26" Brux barrel. I have about 350 rounds down the barrel and have not (yet) seen any sort of barrel degradation or accuracy issues. I haven't changed the load at all since load development. I reload in 100 round increments, shoot those up and then reuse the brass to make 100 more.
I think I'll stay at 7mm rather than have to chase around just to be able to use 0.5 mm less diameter.