• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Has anyone else noticed..?

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
From my own and other peoples nodes has anyone else noticed usually for 100 yarders that the lower/mid nodes tend to be the most accurate loads from guns?

I've just noticed so many people run the lower grain node window than people do high, unless their lower node doesn't have enough velocity at the longer ranges seems to be the only time I notice people prefer the higher node.

Especially in shorter range bull type competitions I've noticed a lot of the guys have the most accurate lower node for their competition charge.

Has anyone else noticed or can think of why? I just find it filing so many people aside from the newer guys who feel velocity means accuracy seem to favor the lower nodes as their accuracy node.

CK... good observation.

I think there are some good reasons for what you've noticed, and you're right in what you say. The first would be that the higher the pressure, the harder it works the brass, and variances in brass cases (web strength, stretch factor) are more likely to show up at higher pressures.

The rifle itself is stressed to higher levels when you run the pressures up. A rifle which has not had the bolt lugs lapped, for instance, will begin to get quirky with higher pressure levels as the non-bearing lug slams home at inconsistent intervals during the firing event.

Recoil control.... don't underestimate that. The more recoil the harder it is to keep everything nice and consistent shot to shot.

And there may be other reasons for what you're seeing, which others may add.

Dan

Why beat up the brass, burn up the barrel, and use more powder in the process, if it's not improving the results?

I noticed the same with the last 2 barrels on my 204. Stock bull from Savage and the Shilen replacement. Both loved min load. My Ar-15 likes mid load. My 6.5, same, min load too.
Step it up to 7mag, 06 and my new 338, towards max for them.

Its all relative to your goal. I have found similar results with a lower node for close shots, so I roll one specific case and powder for this type of shooting.

Sure, its true that velocity is a function in BC and longer range performance, but if its a matter of a adjusting my elevation .1-.3 mrad or buying brass I opt for the adjustment. I used to load based on 1000Y performance, but found I never really shot more than 700, so stopped hot rodding ammo to extend brass life.

I kind of have a theory that it create less vibrations and harmonics via the barrel. Take water for instance, you dunk something in softly you get very similar small wakes, slam something hard and you get huge wakes that fade off into the smaller longer quakes.

Also as was posted above the variations and tolerances in parts play might be greatly moved or torqued wih the increased PSI pressures to alter surfaces when the shot it placed.

Again all theory but I feel it could be onto something and why lower nodes seem to be the "more" accurate node.