• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone ever worn out an action?

BiggBeans

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Kansas
Has anyone ever actually worn out an action from shooting so much? Dont think ive ever seen anyone talking about a worn action.

A friend of mine has a Model 70 set up to fire the National Match course. 3-digit serial number so first year of production of 1936. It is in perfect condition and runs smooth as glass. It's anyone's guess how many rounds have gone through it.

Maybe not much comparison, but I've got a 700 action that's on it's 4th barrel from shooting varmints and it's so smooth it's like glass. Every barrel taken off has had the lands worn smooth and the action of from 64.

Jacob Bynum has an AI action with 130k+ rounds on it and it's still rolling.

Actions don't really wear out from normal to heavy use.

An action will easily last your lifetime and beyond if you take care of it.
Didn't he have to send it back to AI to have the receiver barrel thread insert readjusted? It was one of the things I liked about the AI design; it was built to last a lifetime with adjustments being able to be made, as the action wears over time.

Reactions: lash
Didn't he have to send it back to AI to have the receiver barrel thread insert readjusted? It was one of the things I liked about the AI design; it was built to last a lifetime with adjustments being able to be made, as the action wears over time.

That could be correct. I know he sent it back to AI for something, and AI wanted to keep it because it was the highest round count AI (allegedly).

Lug setback would be the only thing that is worth keeping an eye one.

But most humans don't shoot enough in general to worry about it.......let alone with a single action.

I figured actions generally didnt wear out. ill never shoot enough to even worry about something like that. Just didnt know if round count was something to consider when purchasing a used action on here.

Some wear out fast and all at once.
1696609545001.png

I have about 12,000 ish rounds on a Steyr SSG-04 It started life as a a .308 to which I had about 8000 on it. Since then it's on the 2nd .243 barrel so about 4000 or so round on those 2 barrels. Next I am going .260 rem. This is a mid size action so the shorter creedmoor/x47 case don't feed well.
The action is smooth and show very very little wear.

The threads are fixed in the AI, but the receiver lug abutments are machined into a breech ring which is pinned in place, and sandwiched by the barrel. I dont remember if you shoot an AI, perhaps you already know this.

It would be cool to get an update on Jacobs gun. I though it was about double @kthomas figure above. Seem to recall it was north of 20 .308 barrels. Cracks me up. Mine is knocking on the door of 10k rounds and just keeps getting better.

Last edited:
My first custom action is still also my favorite. It’s an old Stiller TAC AW that I bought used from a guy on here back in 2011. It had been his match rifle until he could afford an AT and had a couple three barrels of .260 on it then.

Since I’ve had it, it has seen a number of barrels and well over 12,000 rounds through it. I am seeing wear on the lugs, but nothing that has affected anything yet.

The threads are fixed in the AI, but the receiver lug abutments are machined into a breech ring which is pinned in place, and sandwiched by the barrel. I dont remember if you shoot an AI, perhaps you already know this.

It would be cool to get an update on Jacobs gun. I though it was about double @kthomas figure above. Seem to recall it was north of 20 .308 barrels. Cracks me up. Mine is knocking on the door of 10k rounds and just jeeps getting better.
Thanks for the clarification; yes, that is what I meant (and yes, I have two AI's).

Yeah, it would be interesting to get an update on that rifle. My first AI is up to around 9k on that one (3 6.5CM barrels so far).

It would be cool to get an update on Jacobs gun. I though it was about double @kthomas figure above. Seem to recall it was north of 20 .308 barrels. Cracks me up. Mine is knocking on the door of 10k rounds and just jeeps getting better.

My number could be way off by now. Jacob would have to confirm the current round count, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was much higher like you suggest.

Jacob Bynum has an AI action with 130k+ rounds on it and it's still rolling.

Actions don't really wear out from normal to heavy use.

An action will easily last your lifetime and beyond if you take care of it.

I talked to Jacob about a year ago and his AI was well over 200K at that point.

I ran across this thread looking to fix an ejector problem on my Stiller Action.

I thought I was just an average shooter and I'm estimating I think on the low side.
But I've shoot about two thousand rounds a year for the last ten years through my Stiller.

The local fun match once a month and is only forty rounds for score. But I'm betting the average shooter is shooting a hundred rounds a month.
This thread is kind of an eye opener for me.

I ran across this thread looking to fix an ejector problem on my Stiller Action.

I thought I was just an average shooter and I'm estimating I think on the low side.
But I've shoot about two thousand rounds a year for the last ten years through my Stiller.

The local fun match once a month and is only forty rounds for score. But I'm betting the average shooter is shooting a hundred rounds a month.
This thread is kind of an eye opener for me.
My Stiller is a freaking workhorse and has seen close to your amount of rounds. By some standards, it is sloppy and I’ve heard that some think it binds when fully back. Yet I’ve never had it go down or get hard to use during a match. I say, Learn how to shoot your action and it will never be a problem.

Not a single issue yet, but expect that at some point I’ll have to replace extractor and firing pin. Those are replaceable parts.