• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone ever...

oldiephrt

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2020
I am looking at my Vanguard SA and wondering if, I may/can lengthen the mag well by about .050 to accommodate a heavier bullet than originally designed for? Looks to me the room could come from front of action ( feed ramp area).? Maybe splice two mag boxes together? Would the follower have to be lengthened, also?
If this is a dumb idea, please tell me in the 'Hides best vernacular.

If your talking Weatherby Vanguard, my suggestion would be a bottom metal for a Howa SA to suit AI mags then get a metal Mdt mag with binder for a bit more room or without binder plate if you want more, then mod the feed ramp area to suit as well as the mag.
Or use a chassis that takes AI mags & do the same.

I have a couple here to do when I get the time.

Something along the lines of the above post would be best. Anything for the howa should work I think.

Get a stock, chassis, or new bottom metal to take aics mags. The non-binder plate versions of the mags will give you the longest length potential. You will have to notch your feed ramp of you get the non-binders. I used a dremel with a cone shaped grinder to kind of notch and create a compound angle feed ramp in the existing ramp. I'll see if I can find a pic or take one when I get home.

I dropped mine into an mdt xrs chassis. Their new polymer mags will give you a little more room. You will quite possibly enjoy the chassis too.
51F6CB3F-8066-4EE1-82BF-FA77E795E46C.jpeg

Does the chamber have enough freebore to accommodate said heaver bullets, do you have the barrel twist needed to stabilize them?

Thank you gentlemen,
I am talking about the Weatherby Vanguard/ Howa. Bottom metal was a first thought but, this is my hunting stalking rifle in which I would like to retain internal mag.
This project came into being because this stock fits me so well I couldn't image anything better. In fact the first time I shouldered it I knew the rifle had to be mine. Dremel to the feed ramp sounds reasonable and encouraging.
I just got the rifle back from my 'smith it now has a Bartlein 1-8 5r 24' .270WSM barrel. A loaded dumby round with 170gr Burger measures 2.872"( I can just see daylight between bullet tip and mag box) putting the ogive just to the outside case mouth. I will be jumping a fair bit. I called a manufacturer and got some load data which if I understand correctly at 2.90" I should be able to achieve 2900fps+. Reliable feeding is first priority. My reasoning is to retain shootablity of all bullets weights. (130-170)

Just so you know, you won't be getting much more length with the mags. Here is my old box mag compared to an accurate mag with no binder plate.

Also got the best pics I could of the feed ramp notch without pulling the scope off. One from the bottom and one from the top/side.
20210305_073729.jpg
20210305_073745.jpg
20210305_073931.jpg
20210305_074000.jpg

Reactions: acudaowner
@sam4886 nice pictures. Thank you. That is exactly the cut on the receiver I was imagining. How does it feed for you? My thoughts were to do a double dremel cut on the feed ramp to allow staggered feed. Cut 2 box mag, weld for proper clearance/length.
@fdkay Yes, a new long action would have been easier(?) but then i would lose my favorite rifle. Plus at least $400 more.

The aics mags are center feed so it feed perfect. I'd imagine with the staggered feed of the box something wider, or doubled up like you mentioned, would be better.

Reactions: oldiephrt
New bottom metal and a 5 round AISC mag would be my answer. I believe that without a binder plate you can get to 2.960 iirc

I like it a lot
How do you like the MDTXRS chassis? They really are a good looking chassis.
it’s got a good feel to it added a little weight, but it’s now far better balanced than with the factory weatherby stock (which was trash IMO). The AICS mag conversion was nice too and the integral aics functionality is far better than any bottom metal systems I have ever tried in the past. I would recommend it to anyone.

@BigKev72 you have a nice rifle ( really good looking). Do you carry it for hunting?
I do, but in full disclosure it’s only used in stand hunting. If I’m stalking I carry a much lighter rig. This one was already far too heavy due to the heavy barrel for stalking. Now it’s a prone varmint or stand gun.

Reactions: oldiephrt
Now....if I were to have had a light barreled spotter and dropped it into this chassis I would be manageable for me easily. MDT is advertising an new hunting chassis that I might pay for you to look at too. I have not explored it but it’s supposed to be light.