• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone fully built out a Prodigy 2011 yet?

30calDeath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
North Idaho
About to trade an FN509 that I had built for a commander size Springfield Prodigy. I know they have some issues so I'm gonna send it out and have it completely reworked. Just wondering if anyone here has done work to make them as reliable as they should be.

Dave at DSC Gunworks can turn it into a Staccato XC if you have the cheddar.

Why not start out with something like MPA? Trying to carry?

Dave at DSC Gunworks can turn it into a Staccato XC if you have the cheddar.
Seen a few YouTube videos on Skips Guns and he goes over them puts Atlas trigger shoe in and a bunch of EGW parts. I'd be spending about $1400+/- with some other work as well. I'll check DSC out thanks.

I think a Staccato P, whilst overpriced for what it is, is at least a production gun you don’t need to replace/fit a trigger and all internals to make function reliably. Based on SHOT it seems like plenty of folks are entering the double stack space too.

Reactions: ELCO82
I think a Staccato P, whilst overpriced for what it is, is at least a production gun you don’t need to replace/fit a trigger and all internals to make function reliably. Based on SHOT it seems like plenty of folks are entering the double stack space too.
I'm trading an FN509 in for this so that's the only reason why I'm starting with a Prodigy.

I'm thinking about getting a Prodigy, how did yours turn out?
Appreciate any info/opinions
DW

Why would you buy a gun with known issues and throw money at it hoping it will work right when you can just buy a staccato. This one doesn’t add up
If I have any they are easily fixed, ever heard of a project gun? Guess you didn't read the entire thread either.

I definitely see the logic if you are buying brand new for a few hundred more and you have the Staccato P. Interested in how your reworked Prodigy comes out for the right price could be worth it.

If I have any they are easily fixed, ever heard of a project gun? Guess you didn't read the entire thread either.

I guess my idea of a project gun doesn’t start and end with $1500 pile of non working shit but do you

Attachments

• 3ABF1994-E27E-4152-A0FF-469C4C9923FE.jpeg
    3ABF1994-E27E-4152-A0FF-469C4C9923FE.jpeg
    620.6 KB · Views: 144
Why would you buy a gun with known issues and throw money at it hoping it will work right when you can just buy a staccato. This one doesn’t add up
If I have any they are easily fixed, ever heard of a project gun? Guess you didn't read the entire thread either
I guess my idea of a project gun doesn’t start and end with $1500 pile of non working shit but do you
You sound bitter AF but sure lol

A buddy of mine who builds 1911’s thinks the Prodigy seems to be a pretty solid pistol, and that most just suffer from an incorrect length barrel link. FWIW…

Last edited:
If I have any they are easily fixed, ever heard of a project gun? Guess you didn't read the entire thread either

I certainly think supporting a company that pushed out a $1500 firearm with a myriad of known issues is stupid. but hey you support who you want

I certainly think supporting a company that pushed out a $1500 firearm with a myriad of known issues is stupid. but hey you support who you want
I didn't initially buy this gun as I already said in the beginning. If I would have spent $1500 on a gun you know it would probably be towards a Staccato but this is what I'm working with at the moment.

I just bought a 5” Prodigy on sale for 1195.00. I did so with the idea I will build out with the best parts to make it super reliable and smooth all the sharp edges before having refinished

I have done this to many 1911 type pistols and I do all the work myself as another hobby

I have not decided if I will have it ported for recoil reduction or not. Should end up basically a Staccato X type for half the price and actually better ignition parts.

Now if I did not do this work myself I would be cheaper just purchasing a Staccato X type pistol. Staccato are actually a good deal. I paid 2200.00 for my P and at the time anything comparable was 4K

About to trade an FN509 that I had built for a commander size Springfield Prodigy. I know they have some issues so I'm gonna send it out and have it completely reworked. Just wondering if anyone here has done work to make them as reliable as they should be.

I bought a 5" prodigy when they released back in September. I later heard about the issues guys were having and preemptively replaced the recoil spring with a 12.5# Wolff. I didn't have a chance to shoot it until this February, but I have about 500 rounds through it with zero reliability issues.

I did have an issue with the optic plate being stuck to the slide. I sent the slide back to SA and they took care of it and refinished the slide.

I've had a good experience with mine... Maybe I got lucky?

The 4.25 guns run well and it sounds like Springfield has sorted out every gun that has been sent in for repairs. Also, some issues are addressed by simply using higher quality magazines.

As mentioned, you can very easily replace the ignition parts and have "better" internals than a staccato for much less.

Plenty of people who shot both, actually prefer the prodigy.

It's a bit amusing to see people shit on the prodigy for sometimes needing minor work (usually better mags or different recoil spring), considering it's a $1250 optics ready 2011. STI was selling a $2000 (pre-covid money, back when the dollar was worth something) 2011 that wasn't optic ready and typically needed work to run.

I'm not a Springfield fan, or a staccato hater. I have no dog in this fight. Plenty of people have done what you are asking, it's entirely reasonable to expect the prodigy to run well with minor work (or in most cases, no work). You should go to pistol oriented forums and learn there, not here.

Reactions: 30calDeath
I like the Prodigys, no issues with my 5". Serial number is 41xxx so it's a later batch model.