• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone heard of a 307 gr. 338 cal. amax????

nolo263

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2005
laredo texas
I was reading a post on longrangehunting and someone mentioned a 307gr. amax. Has anyone heard of this before?

Re: Has anyone heard of a 307 gr. 338 cal. amax????

Last I heard this bullet was still in development. It has gone the way of the berger 338 VLD, we keep hearing about it but we have yet to see it.

I have "heard" of it as well. If the BC was similar to how the 208 grain Amax beats most everything else in it's weight while being cheaper than the others...Hornady could have a heck of a bullet. .875 BC?

I just wish either berger or hornady would make something..

.875 bc, I wont some.

Probably get blasted for this but for a single person platform shooting out to a mile, how can anyone argue with what the 338 has to offer? One question though...that being an AMAX, will the length cause problems with magazines?

I talked to one of the bulletsmiths at Hornady today and he told me there was no 300ish .338 in development. Bummer
frown.gif
Now we all have to sit around and wait for Berger to release their's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I talked to one of the bulletsmiths at Hornady today and he told me there was no 300ish .338 in development. Bummer
frown.gif
Now we all have to sit around and wait for Berger to release their's. </div></div>

That is really interesting, particularily since the Hornady reps have shot the 300 grain 338 in competition two years ago.

Oct 07, the Hornady team shot the experimental 300 grain 338s at the IK BR Nationsl at Hawks Ridge NC. I had them in my hand. They were using an AR 30 and only shot 10 shot groups of 8-10" if I remember right. Did not win, but very respectable to say the least for the AR 30.

In Sep 08 at the 1k Br Nationals in Ohio, Lonnie Hummell (Hornady Technician)and I spent a good bit of time talking about the new 338. He said the new long stroke machine was done except for the lockout guards and the dies done.

One month ago, I talked to him and he said that it had been put on hold until they move into their new production building. they are moving one line at at time. He did not expect the 338 to go into production until the end of 2009.

BH

In the meantime I guess were just "stuck" with 300gr SMKs and 300gr Scenars.