• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone here tried the Hornady 195 ELDs?

I just saw those too, I'm pretty interested, definitely a cheaper alternative to the 185 Jugs.

These have potential.
D579CA7B-9A30-4BD5-8810-EF0BFAE8E2B7.jpeg

Happy to hear! I'm almost done loading up 50 rounds for tomorrow. First time I purchase ELD's... They look so good, I almost don't want to shoot them. One thing I don't like so far is the occasional weight inconsistency. I weighed five of them earlier and I got 194.9, 194.9, 195.0, 194.9, (195.8<- :/)

I may have just got the one odd straggler though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
I’m not a guy to weigh bullets, yet... I tried six rounds of 42.5 of Varget and 43.0 of Varget at 2.88 COAL. This group I posted was the 43.0 set, the 42.5 didn’t group as well. Once Redding sends me my new seating die part, I’ll load up more 43.0 and some 43.5 and run the chrono.

Happy to hear! I'm almost done loading up 50 rounds for tomorrow. First time I purchase ELD's... They look so good, I almost don't want to shoot them. One thing I don't like so far is the occasional weight inconsistency. I weighed five of them earlier and I got 194.9, 194.9, 195.0, 194.9, (195.8<- :/)

Any updates?

Not taking a shot at ya, but does 2/10 of a grain really make any difference on a 195 grain projectile when it comes to shooting it. Serious question? That's a .001% deviation in weight.

LRI, this is out of a 308? If so, what do you think your velocity is?
He hasn't chrono'd them yet. If the velocity is similar to a 195 TMK, < 2500 fps. I'm at 2510 w/ 43.6 of Varget and a 195 TMK. I'm running a 20" barrel.

Last edited:
I'd like to see how these do in a 300 wm at distance

Any updates?

Sorry for the delay... I'll update more in detail later tonight. All I can say is I got those 195's moving at 2650 fps with a single digit SD. The recoil is rather impressive for a 308 ;) I'm taking out my other chrono to confirm speeds and continue load development, next time I'm out.

Very promising...

Last edited:
Alright so here are my notes from this Sunday. While loading these rounds about 3/4 of the way I realized my powder measure was giving me inconsistent loads with CFE223. This was completely my fault as I was using a new unlubed drum... Hoping it wasn't too bad I decided to use them anyways as opposed to pulling them. This was my second mistake as I realized while shooting that my velocities were all over the place.

I corrected this as I said about 3/4 of the way through as you can tell from my velocities near the end. Using the last loads I did (45.0gr) I realized it all started to work out for the best. At 45gr, I had an SD of 6, and an outstanding velocity of 2650!

At 45gr's I was starting to have a slight hard extraction and extruded primers, so I will probably tone it down a bit and aim for 2600-2625fps. Due to my shit velocities at start, I wasn't trying to group the best I could but my 45gr 5 group shot was .7moa... It will be much better if I actually try.

All in all, started off terribly but I was very happy with the end results. I'll be redoing this exact test but with the powder measure corrected. I'll also be bringing out my new Magnetospeed this time, as I should have it by then. I was also focused on zeroing my new scope, a cronus BTR. Very pleased with this optic!

Once I redo this test and decide on a velocity, I'll start playing with my coal. I'm currently 20 thou off the lands. If anyone is interested, I do my load development using a slightly modified "10 round load development".

3AwVyC7h.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
mijp5, might want to consider the 200 gr ELD-X - higher BC at approximately 80 fps slower with Hornady factory loads. The 200 gr ELD-X chronographed at 2850 from my 24 inch.

I never responded with my final results... better late then never.

In the end the 195's were a great choice and I've stuck with them. My best group so far has been a .370 moa at 200 yards.

Load that works for me:

43.0gr of CFE223
CCI BR2
Lapua 308 Brass (Annealed, etc.)

Last edited: