• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone ran AA4064 in .308?

Noidly1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2020
St. Louis, Mo.
I have been on several forums and haven't found anyone that has loaded for an LR308 with AA-4064 powder, only with IMR-4064.
I'd like to get something close to the right load that I can start with and work up/down to match my barrel and not waist 100 rounds doing it.

I have 4 different loading books and they vary widely.

I have tried several gun show reloads 165gn green plastic tips (it liked), NATO 14x's reloads (it did not like), new/old NATO M118SBLR's (junk imo), FGMM 168's (these were ok) and FGMM 175's (It really liked). I have a box of new Winchester NATO 149's I want to try JFS's...
Since it likes the 175 FGMM's and that is what the military uses, M118LR's, That is what I am trying to copy.

I'd like to get a load that will work with my 175s and some 178 ELD-Xs or other 175 to 180 hunting bullets.
I have a bunch of 175's to mess with and want to get about a 100 for hunting. If I have to tune for the hunting rounds separately, would I be just as good with boxed hunting rounds rather that waist reloads just to tune for a few?

My setup has a 20" Ballistic Arms Fluted barrel. Similar to the one below.

I am using the following supplies that I could get at the time.
FC brass
Federal standard 210 primers
SIE HPBT 175 grn bullets
Accurate 4064 powder.

I'm sure I missed something but anyway,
TIA

Last edited:
The difference between AA4064 and IMR4064 is within the lot to lot differences of IMR. Just use the IMR data and work up. My guess is you’ll land somewhere between 41.5 and 42 with the 175’s. The kernels are shorter and it does meter slightly better - a bonus if you’re throwing charges.

Reactions: Noidly1
42.0 gr. AA4064 / WCC 69 brass / Tula LRP / 175 Nosler CC.

Sub .75 MOA out of a 22" Bartlien GAP 10. Didn't chrono it, but a very accurate load, no pressure issues.

Reactions: Noidly1