• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Has anyone rebarreled a Tikka for BR family?

Hummer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
SC Cradle of the Confederacy
I have a wild hair to try rebarreling a Tikka for the BR family of cartridges, primarily a 30BR but would consider a 6MMBR.
Just looking it appears the straight stack mag and long control of case by mag lips would make it an ideal set up for mag feeding.

Has anyone done this as yet?

Re: Has anyone rebarreled a Tikka for BR family?

I did it from a .308 to a .300wm. Its very doable for sure. I dont know what your present calibre is but you'll obviously have to work on the bolt face and get the right extractor for the change, also the magazine will probably be different. Go for it.
Take note, your bolt face needs to be .470 and your looking for a .22-250 extractor. The only problem your going to have will be sourcing the extractor.

Don't have the rifle as yet but will be looking for a 243/308 to do this on. I don't see why it won't work on 6MMBR and feed from mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gamma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did it from a .308 to a .300wm. Its very doable for sure. I dont know what your present calibre is but you'll obviously have to work on the bolt face and get the right extractor for the change, also the magazine will probably be different. Go for it.
Take note, your bolt face needs to be .470 and your looking for a .22-250 extractor. The only problem your going to have will be sourcing the extractor. </div></div>
what? 6br is the standard 308 bolt face.
as for the rest of your post..
confused.gif

Where in the post did I say the .308 is the correct bolt face for 6mmbr. Read it again.

Taged.. Very interested in this as well. Mine will be on a T3 action.

Thought about doing this with Tikka Tac. but decided against it. One reason is there are cheaper rifles to play on. The other and more relevant is I already have a Rem. 700 in 6mm Dasher (6mmbr blown out .100) and played with the 6 Dasher rounds in the Tikka mag. Didn't work, they would tip and not stack worth a crap. The lips didn't seem to be long enough to capture the round properly.

Bolt face is same diameter but you need to bush the firing pin hole for the small primer.

Proteus_X3 on this forum has. Initially it was a 308 rebarrelled for 260AI and now its a 6x47. He routinely shoots F-class out at Bodines with it. It was also restocked and bedded by GAP with a Manners Composite stock. Last barrel was done by Mark King in Central Pennsylvania who builds many BR rigs@ Williamsport.

A friend over here has built many 6mmbr rifles on Tikka actions (also 30brs) Two close friends have these rifles and they feed straight from the mag with excellent accuracy. The base models were Tikka 590 in 22-250 but .308 and .243 work very well too.

Load testing last weekend produced a sub .15 5 rd group with 3 different bullets: 80gr berger, 85 sierra, 87vmax.

These things shoot: lights out.

The 590/595 action offers a large bedding area due to it's flat bottomed design and is invariably smooth.

Mcmillan do the inlet.

What is there not to like? :)