• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone reviewed the new Tubb rifle?

NotMalware

grumpy cat
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Daytona Beach, FL
I can't find a lot of information on the new Tubb rifle. Does anyone have any hands on experience that they'd like to share? I'm looking at selling my short action AXMC to get something with both 6.5mm and ELR capabilities (2k yards or so). Should I go for the long action AXMC or switch to something like the Tubb rifle or the Cadex? I'm interested in all intelligent opinions.

Reactions: sav338lapua
I can't find a lot of information on the new Tubb rifle. Does anyone have any hands on experience that they'd like to share? I'm looking at selling my short action AXMC to get something with both 6.5mm and ELR capabilities (2k yards or so). Should I go for the long action AXMC or switch to something like the Tubb rifle or the Cadex? I'm interested in all intelligent opinions.

The AXMC hands down.

1. You can get one. Today. It's in stock.

2. You can get barrels. Today.

3. You can get bolts. Today.

Guess what? Accuracy International is going to still be making guns in 20 years. And people will still be making barrels.

Also did I mention you can get it today?

I thought Tubb's Adaptive Target Rifle was currently available. To me it looks like his rifle is more of a target rifle and the AXMC is a "battle rifle" for lack of a better term. The AXMC is very heavy duty while the Tubb ATR looks more precision oriented. I am hoping to hear a perspective on the ATR from someone who has handled it to get a sense for it. It's not like I can find one in person near Seattle...

The AXMC hands down.

1. You can get one. Today. It's in stock.

2. You can get barrels. Today.

3. You can get bolts. Today.

Guess what? Accuracy International is going to still be making guns in 20 years. And people will still be making barrels.

Also did I mention you can get it today?

What he said! I like things I can get too.

Reactions: BangBangBlatBlat
NotMalware, I have one of the new DTR from Tubb. I have compared it to a friends AI .300WinMag. The Tubb is defiantly engineered to be a precise weapon but at the same time it has been an excellent field rifle. I would not compare it to say a Grunig-Elmiger 300m prone rifle but an in-between rifle that is super accurate. I run mine with a Dead Air Sandman in 6.5 Creedmoor and I have 3 other barrels on the way. If you have any other questions I can send you my cell and we can talk. R/ Mike

I spent some time with David going over the rifle, it's very well thought out like all of David's Stuff.

I plan on getting one myself as I have the MCM version, one of them anyway.

The rifle comes with no barrel, you order the barrels and extensions separately to spec out the need. It's not so much a Target Rifle vs, it's more like a hybrid of the two. It's a crossover rifle if you want to label it.

Using the extensions you can then swap barrels and calibers. But what you are buying is the platform

The above comments are valid, but you really can't go wrong with anything David puts out.

Thanks, Bulletsmish, I may take you up on your offer for a chat. I spoke with MileHighshooting today about trading my my short action axmc for the long action version to get better 1800 yard capability. There are some barriers to overcome in making that system work as I'd like. Most of those barriers are $ related, and have to do with modifying it after upgrading. It seem like the Tubb rifle may be a more direct route. I'd like to set up a rifle for 1500 to 2500 yards. My thought was to set up a 300 norma mag with the 215 or 230 bergers or the 198 Flat Line bullets. The Bergers will tolerate transonic while the Flat Line bullets don't seem to like that according to a nice man at Flat Line. All of these bullets are questionable stability in a factory AI 300 norma with a 1:10 twist at sea level. The Flat Line is a bit more than questionable in the stability department.

Thanks, Lowlight, for the video link. I've watched that vid several times since it's come out. I love how he set up the magnetospeed, and I set mine up like that on my AX308. The velocity feedback at 1800yds with a 6.5creed taught me a lot about my system and it's limitations. I removed the rail section on the top of the forend and installed it on the bottom so that it extended out near the muzzle. The magnetospeed has a picatinny rail adapter for handguns that works perfectly for this. The bipod still has a bit of rail to mount to and the magnetospeed is ready for action. Pretty sweet setup.

NotMalware, I have one of the new DTR from Tubb. I have compared it to a friends AI .300WinMag. The Tubb is defiantly engineered to be a precise weapon but at the same time it has been an excellent field rifle. I would not compare it to say a Grunig-Elmiger 300m prone rifle but an in-between rifle that is super accurate. I run mine with a Dead Air Sandman in 6.5 Creedmoor and I have 3 other barrels on the way. If you have any other questions I can send you my cell and we can talk. R/ Mike

Would like to hear more of your thoughts on your new DTR

Reactions: nobbie333actual
I have a lefty sitting in the safe, waiting on barrel. Have dry fired it a ton in the last week that I’ve had it. T7T trigger is excellent. Longer bolt throw is a tiny bit slower but feels robust and has same overall lift and feel of my old T2K. So it is still fast. It can fold up real small and folder locks solid. Rifle is pretty light considering everything it can do and shoot so it’s probably the best attempt at a do all rifle there is, but that is still a very tough feat. I personally think the cheek rest could have a little more premium look and feel for the cost, but it works. A little more elevation for skinny faces would be good too, but adhesive foam can fix that. Barrel changes are simple enough, but we are getting spoiled in the days of AI, DT, switchlugs, barlocs,etc. (not complaining, love these systems)

Magazines feel solid and fed dummy rounds good.

Hope to be shooting it next weekend, but we will see. I’ll be able to give much better feedback once I start shooting it, but it’s a solid system. Lots of Smith’s with thread specs ready to turn barrels so I don’t see that as an issue. Also, David’s son Wyatt is a talented mechanical engineer that has consulted on this rifle and the T7T, so there is another generation of Tubb that can literally technically support the platform.

BF6A36D7-BE44-4184-8002-4181D8BC4932.jpeg

Conrad, I look forward to hearing about your field experience. I don't have experience with the Tubb2K, so can you relate the feel of the action/function to a custom action or AI or something like that? A video review would be great to see also!

Also, can you talk about the barrel change a bit? My short action AXMC is super simple to swap a barrel. That's what I'm considering moving away from...

T2K and ATR both have 70 degree bolt throws and bolt throw force is very similar. You can run it with 2 fingers if you like. I have had Bighorns in the past and have a Buddy's bighorn in the safe (action only) to kind of compare to and bolt lift is very similar to the Bighorn. Running the action has a little different feel for a couple of reasons. The ATR has an aluminum receiver so there is a little bit different coefficient of friction between steel and Al going on there vs steel on steel. Also the Al is absorbing that bolt force a little differently than steel so you might not feel momentum of the bolt as solidly when as when a steel bolt slams shut...again just a different feel. Most of the friction is coming from the bolt centralizer on the back running through the tubular butt which other rifles don't have this point of contact, easily broken in with Slip2000 and running the bolt a lot. Additionally the mag follower sits proud so the bolt has to push that down when running it without ammo. To get a more apples to apples comparison to T2K and Bighorn I dropped the mag and ran the bolt fast...real smooth. I'm not going to say it is as smooth as some of these DLC coated actions people talk about, but seriously, if you know how to run a bolt it's way plenty fast. People get a little too tied up in some of that speed and feel stuff.

Once barrel extension is torqued to the barrel tennon, exactly like a Desert tech barrel, the barrel can then slide into the receiver, and it indexes on a pin at 12 o'clock. A barrel nut slides over the barrel and mates against the face of the extension and is tightened down with an armorer's wrench like an AR. David recommended 50 to 100 ft lbs on the barrel nut, and 50 is probably plenty. You can either have barrel in a barrel vise or maybe the receiver in some soft jaws to tighten the nut. It is recommended to hold backup with the rear action wrench so as to not put much force on the indexing pin. All this said with a breaker bar and action wrench and a torque wrench on the nut I was able to apply 50 ft lbs pretty easily with the rifle simply on the floor, as I was trying to mimic a field barrel change without a vise. Sounds like a lot, but it's not, just trying to be thorough. Now is it as easy as an allen wrench on your AI, DT, switchlug, barloc, etc....NO. Can you get barrels pre-spun and shoot a large variety of cartridges in it. Definitely. I would liken it to a AXMC that is a lot lighter, but doesn't have an ultra quick barrel change system. I could still change a barrel in a matter of minutes though. As long as your torquing down and away from the scope to take the nut on/off when not securing the rifle in a vise I think you could leave the scope on, but that might make some nervous. Rifle weighs 7.1 lbs with bolt, empty mag and barrel extension and nut. Add weight of your scope, rings, and barrel for total weight.

For me, i think it will shine as a PRS match rifle and a medium weight hunting rifle if done right....proof barrel, smaller scope, etc. It will also shine with the short mags and loading them long in this mag system. Nosler and Norma mags will probably work in a pinch, but I'm thinking some bullets might have to be seated a little deeper and will need a specific throat for adjusted OAL. True ELR work, probalby easiest to just single feed the rifle.

IMG_3182.JPG

T2K and ATR both have 70 degree bolt throws and bolt throw force is very similar. You can run it with 2 fingers if you like. I have had Bighorns in the past and have a Buddy's bighorn in the safe (action only) to kind of compare to and bolt lift is very similar to the Bighorn. Running the action has a little different feel for a couple of reasons. The ATR has an aluminum receiver so there is a little bit different coefficient of friction between steel and Al going on there vs steel on steel. Also the Al is absorbing that bolt force a little differently than steel so you might not feel momentum of the bolt as solidly when as when a steel bolt slams shut...again just a different feel. Most of the friction is coming from the bolt centralizer on the back running through the tubular butt which other rifles don't have this point of contact, easily broken in with Slip2000 and running the bolt a lot. Additionally the mag follower sits proud so the bolt has to push that down when running it without ammo. To get a more apples to apples comparison to T2K and Bighorn I dropped the mag and ran the bolt fast...real smooth. I'm not going to say it is as smooth as some of these DLC coated actions people talk about, but seriously, if you know how to run a bolt it's way plenty fast. People get a little too tied up in some of that speed and feel stuff.

Once barrel extension is torqued to the barrel tennon, exactly like a Desert tech barrel, the barrel can then slide into the receiver, and it indexes on a pin at 12 o'clock. A barrel nut slides over the barrel and mates against the face of the extension and is tightened down with an armorer's wrench like an AR. David recommended 50 to 100 ft lbs on the barrel nut, and 50 is probably plenty. You can either have barrel in a barrel vise or maybe the receiver in some soft jaws to tighten the nut. It is recommended to hold backup with the rear action wrench so as to not put much force on the indexing pin. All this said with a breaker bar and action wrench and a torque wrench on the nut I was able to apply 50 ft lbs pretty easily with the rifle simply on the floor, as I was trying to mimic a field barrel change without a vise. Sounds like a lot, but it's not, just trying to be thorough. Now is it as easy as an allen wrench on your AI, DT, switchlug, barloc, etc....NO. Can you get barrels pre-spun and shoot a large variety of cartridges in it. Definitely. I would liken it to a AXMC that is a lot lighter, but doesn't have an ultra quick barrel change system. I could still change a barrel in a matter of minutes though. As long as your torquing down and away from the scope to take the nut on/off when not securing the rifle in a vise I think you could leave the scope on, but that might make some nervous. Rifle weighs 7.1 lbs with bolt, empty mag and barrel extension and nut. Add weight of your scope, rings, and barrel for total weight.

For me, i think it will shine as a PRS match rifle and a medium weight hunting rifle if done right....proof barrel, smaller scope, etc. It will also shine with the short mags and loading them long in this mag system. Nosler and Norma mags will probably work in a pinch, but I'm thinking some bullets might have to be seated a little deeper and will need a specific throat for adjusted OAL. True ELR work, probalby easiest to just single feed the rifle.

View attachment 6877114

How's does the butt stock feel, does it feel solid?---When locked in place and when folded? It looks like you can change the height of the recoil buttpad but can adjust for cant?

Stock is very solid, however when I shoulder the rifle there is probably about 0.1" of take up as I shoulder it, so I feel the stock push a little further in, after that it doesn't move. Zero lateral movement. Stock adjusts for cant and cast. Buttpad adjusts up and down. Cheek piece is up/down and rotates left/right.

I now have all of the barrels for my DTR, .308, 6.5Creed.,6.5x47L and 338 Lapua. I have shot the 6.5 creed and the 338 L most. I did a small amount of load development for the 6.5 Creed and decided no more was needed, the gun just shot so well I did not really want to waste any time with it. The gun is just accurate and very easy to shoot off a bench or prone or even off barricades. Very well balanced and ergonomic. I changed the bolt knob as it was too small for my large hands.

Changing the barrel to .338 was easy and took very little time, about 8-10min. I am using an AREA 419 brake so I had to remove it to get the barrel thru the Barrel vise, but that was my only redo. I used a torque wrench so that when I change out the barrels the zero data I am keeping track of will be consistent. I used H1000 and it was a little too fast for the 32in barrel so I switched to Retumbo and then settled on RL26 for the Warner Flatlines 256gr solids and RL33 for the 285gr Hornady ELD X. The Flatlines got to 3080FPS and just were shooting so well at 1000yds. They are going to be used for the 2500 yd range soon. The ELD X will be for 1500 and under as they are a little easier on my wallet.

I shot a group with the 6.5 Creed at 700 yds and kept the scope adjustment, I went home and removed the barrel and the next morning screwed the barrel back on and headed to the range, first shot was in the same area as I could not see another bullet impact.

I am going to get the 6.5x47 and 308 barrel load tested soon but I am in no hurry. Now my shooting buddies want switch barrel rifles !

Hey Bulletsmith, who did your barrels? I got a 6xc from David and has been spectacular. I was looking for a 7 WSM or something to try.

I ordered them about 6Mo. out. but took about 5 months. Call Frank and tell him you spoke to me, My Tubb gun was the first one they worked on. You can find Bartlein barrels at several retail shops. Bartlein has a list on the website. R/ Mike

I own an AI AX338MC and I bought a Tubb ATR last week. I want it for a dedicated ELR rifle. My AI is great and I change calibers between 308 and 338LM. 308 is my training round. On the ATR, I'm getting a 6.5CM and a 33XC (necked up to accept 375 caliber pills). 6.5CM will by my training round on the ATR. I was looking at a DT HTI in 375 Cheytac and hoping for the AX50MC with a 375 Cheytac barrel/bolt but that isn't likely anytime soon. I had the money to throw at Mile High because I know / like the trigger but AI announces something 2 years ago and still doesn't have it for sale... Happy to punish them by buying Tubb. I'm getting both barrels from Tubb... not ready yet but likely after the King of Two Mile (July). I'm not i a rush as my 2500m shooting spot opens up in Oct (Central California BLM). Buy the AX338MC if you want to go out to a mile or stretch it to its absolute limit: 2km. I've done it at Gunsite. If you want to go beyond, go the ATR route if you are an ELR shooter like where I am leaning. Someone earlier mentioned that it could also be a good PRS rifle. Maybe, and David claims it could. I've got a GAP Tempest for that but I'm really looking forward to my Curtis Custom Vector that I'm sending to Masterpiece Arms to get set up. Want to know even more about the Tubb ATR? David published this video that isn't listed in his channel but I found it somehow:

That's awesome! Every time I see one of these guns it makes me fall in love all over again with them. I would need to spend some time behind one first but it seems like a hell of a setup and the new 33xc and 375xc make it even more interesting.

I finally installed the 6.5x47L barrel last week and loaded up a few test rds. and used some from a previous rifle that worked well. Using H4350 (40.1gr to 41.8gr.)with my 142gr. I also tried a few using Varget 37.0 to 37.7gr. The 37.5gr was literally just one small impact mark on the steel plate at 678yds.
The rifle just seems to get better and better the more I shoot it. And the fact that you can change the barrel to another caliber is just awesome. I am going to load up some 285gr ELD-X's and some Warner Flatlines and shoot at 1500,1760 and try the 2450yd that we have set up. 2450 will be the Flatlines exclusively.

I own an AI AX338MC and I bought a Tubb ATR last week. I want it for a dedicated ELR rifle. My AI is great and I change calibers between 308 and 338LM. 308 is my training round. On the ATR, I'm getting a 6.5CM and a 33XC (necked up to accept 375 caliber pills). 6.5CM will by my training round on the ATR. I was looking at a DT HTI in 375 Cheytac and hoping for the AX50MC with a 375 Cheytac barrel/bolt but that isn't likely anytime soon. I had the money to throw at Mile High because I know / like the trigger but AI announces something 2 years ago and still doesn't have it for sale... Happy to punish them by buying Tubb. I'm getting both barrels from Tubb... not ready yet but likely after the King of Two Mile (July). I'm not i a rush as my 2500m shooting spot opens up in Oct (Central California BLM). Buy the AX338MC if you want to go out to a mile or stretch it to its absolute limit: 2km. I've done it at Gunsite. If you want to go beyond, go the ATR route if you are an ELR shooter like where I am leaning. Someone earlier mentioned that it could also be a good PRS rifle. Maybe, and David claims it could. I've got a GAP Tempest for that but I'm really looking forward to my Curtis Custom Vector that I'm sending to Masterpiece Arms to get set up. Want to know even more about the Tubb ATR? David published this video that isn't listed in his channel but I found it somehow:

Thanks for the video link!

I'm not picky in terms of video quality but man those production values were horrible. Some weren't even in stereo :rolleyes:

It looks like an interesting rifle but there are things (like the stock sliding back so it won't lock and the barrel change routine) that really don't appeal to me. I think I'd rather buy an AXMC but would love to try this rifle out anyway.

The stock sliding back doesn’t happen unless you’re tinkering with the rifle. Just pull it out, fold it and lock it down, done. The fact that it slides into itself via concentric tubes adds rigidity.

Barrel isn’t super quick change like AI or DT but it is simple and quick to do. Basically like an AR barrel with the nut.

Hm. Aluminum.

Dude blew up a T2K last week at Atterbury. Dunno if I like aluminum.

-Nate

First, if it was the old T2K that is a steel action, so the point is moot right there. If it was the new ATR, see below:

The round is sitting in a steel barrel chamber in front of a steel bolt face, not to mention the hardened steel extension is around the rear chamber area on a Tubb barrel. It blew through steel before aluminum so at that point you've already royally screwed up during your reloading process. I would assume the high velocity gas exiting the pressure release port could have ripped up the aluminum in that area a bit more than if it had been steel. Did you see the rifle and where the pressure exited?

That aside, I hope the guy is alright, and I'd be curious on what exactly he did.

No, I did not see the rifle. I was trying to shoot my own match with my own aluminum rifle.

Be honest..I'm not that familiar with the new one. It didn't come up in conversation with David last week walking to our targets because we were talking about Texas and the SRP Peterson brass.

Fair enough, hope the guy was okay. Hot as hell in TX right now...

I've been a fan of the T2K for many years. Haven't yet tried the new Adaptive Rifle. Tubb was absolutely on the leading edge of proving that AR ergos trump traditional bolt gun ergos, and I think very highly of the concept that these rifles are designed around. Not a hater at all. Having said all that, ff you need the big bullet ability, this is certainly one of the best options out there. But, if you are content with short action rounds, then I think the Fix kinda hits the same points, but has a simpler barrel change (it looks that way from the Tubb's video anyway), and of course it costs way less. Also weighs much less for field use, which is nice.

Nonetheless, I hope to try one of these rifles out in the near future.

Last edited:
I think the Fix looks like a cool rifle too, but for me, they don't make it LH. The Fix is tough to beat for weight, but isn't as versatile on cartridges and seating long bullets out. I'm going to make this ATR sing when I load some 7 SAUM or 300 WSM long.

Regarding barrel change, I actually timed my barrel change today starting with removing hunting scope off to ending with putting match scope on. Took about 12 minutes and I had to
grab a couple tools I hadn't laid out. I did it with a vise today, but I have done it without. Torquing to 50 ft-lbs specifically to test being able to change barrels without a vise.

Each system has it's pros and cons.

CF722871-7A7B-4479-A9EB-C21196B8D896.jpeg

No doubt about the cartridge versatility or the lack of left handed Fix options. I wasn't trying to say that the Fix is a replacement for the Tubb Rifle, just that it checked many of the same boxes, for me, and at a lighter weight and possibly with less fuss.

That's good to hear about the barrel change. When I watched the video, and he was cramming tools into a huge pouch, and the video kept cutting away, it made it seem like a bit of a chore.

No worries I agree with your assessment on the Fix. I do worry about keeping up with all the rail screws, but I'd carry extras. I have read a few cases of those screws being difficult to remove, but they were probably over torqued, but Q did design them to seat very tight.

I also have a Desert Tech so of course wish the ATR could change barrels with one allen wrench, but that isn't the design. Just pointing out that it's not overly cumbersome. Most people are going to probably change their barrel at the house on a bench and go shoot, but if you wanted to you could do it at the range or at the truck (if prepared). Yes you do need to bring your torque wrench etc. thus the larger carrying pouch. It might be presented a little neater if each tool had its own cut out in a pelican case with rifle.

The main convenience is getting barrels chambered up without shipping the rifle, which by the way Mile High just did a few for me, and I sent chamber specs and original barrel so they now have their CNC lathe programmed up for ATR barrels.

I think the Tubb rifle is pretty ideal for PRS, obviously can contend at ELR although a bit light, and then if configured correctly can be a long range hunting rifle where the user might want a heavier rifle for larger cartridges. A 12.5 lb rifle is also not a big deal for most TX hunting. I tend to carry my bow in the mountains for elk. If Q made a lefty Fix I would consider selling my DT off and using it as a light weight hunting rifle. I think owning both the ATR and the Fix could potentially compliment each other more than compete.

Reactions: SLG
That's right, lefty Tubb grip, haven't seen any lefty grips on David's sight for a long time, but some polymer ones might be coming last I spoke to him.

yep been waiting for the polymer, never knew he made a wood one.

That's right, lefty Tubb grip, haven't seen any lefty grips on David's sight for a long time, but some polymer ones might be coming last I spoke to him.

So what does David put on the current guns?

The RH rifles get the polymer grip with thumb shelf, the lefties get a Magpul AR grip of some sort, for the time being. I'm exploring the MPA LH vertical grip as I really like the one on my Vudoo/MPA 22. I just have to backorder it.

Doan Trevor makes exceptional laminate and wood grips, if anybody needs one.

Alex Sitman might as well...can't recall.

Swapped barrels tonight in 6 minutes without vise, so I'm pretty happy with that. Torquing nut to 50 ft/lbs.

6xc barrel is shooting in the 0.2's

Just as soon as I got the tubb atr out of my mind, this thread goes and stirs it up again! Anyone have any complaints or dislikes they have found over time?

Just as soon as I got the tubb atr out of my mind, this thread goes and stirs it up again! Anyone have any complaints or dislikes they have found over time?

Yeah, the gun shoots too good. It takes just a few minutes to change the barrels, I could go on. But seriously it’s a nice rifle.

What is the lead-time on one of Tubbs rifles?