• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone seen this with LC LR brass?

BRU15

- - - - - -
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Three Rivers, MI
So a few weeks ago I purchased a couple hundred LC LR brass to convert to 6.5 Creedmoor, they still had the red primer sealant and hadn't been decapped. After cleaning and decapping them I noticed that some of them have flashholes that look like this. Granted this one was one of the really bad ones which is why I set it to the side but I was just curious if anyone had come across this?

Attachments

• photo50536.jpg
    photo50536.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 12
I have processed my share of LC brass and never seen anything like that..Ray

Neither have I. I'm planning to quarantine every piece that looks like that which is maybe 20-30 pieces and load them separately to see if it affects SD/ES/Accuracy and if it does I'll scrap the brass. It's just unfortunate because at that point I will have reformed them to 6.5 Creedmoor, neck turned, annealed, sized, uniformed primer pockets and flashholes so I'll have a significant amount of time invested in them.

My theory is that when the flash hole was being drilled little pieces chipped off due to a dull/bad drill because as I said this is just the worst example I have found.

U never seen a dished primer pocket before?

As I said this is the only one that is a perfect circle like that plus it came from 1x fired military brass, the others are not quite as pronounced or it's just one side etc.

edit: and if I had seen it before, I wouldn't have posted this thread asking about it.

So a few weeks ago I purchased a couple hundred LC LR brass to convert to 6.5 Creedmoor, they still had the red primer sealant and hadn't been decapped. After cleaning and decapping them I noticed that some of them have flashholes that look like this. Granted this one was one of the really bad ones which is why I set it to the side but I was just curious if anyone had come across this?

did you swage these yourself? if so, then did you use a super600?

As I said this is the only one that is a perfect circle like that plus it came from 1x fired military brass, the others are not quite as pronounced or it's just one side etc.

edit: and if I had seen it before, I wouldn't have posted this thread asking about it.

In your reloading adventures you'll run into all sort of cosmetic marks that do not affect anything. As long as the bottom of the primer pocket supports the primer anvil feet, no problem.