• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Has anyone tried Sierra's .224 90 gr MK bullet?

reddog

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2010
KY
Are they accurate? What kind of twist and what velocity do they need to stabilize? Any info would be helpful.

Re: Has anyone tried Sierra's .224 90 gr MK bullet?

I tried some for shitz n gigglz a few years back.

I shot them at 400 yards from my Colt AR15A2, 20" 1/7 chrome-lined, gov't profile bbl. Accuracy was about 6" at 400 yards.

I had loaded them over RL-15, about 2600 fps.

Sierra recommends 1/6.5" twist rate.

90grSMK.jpg

90s have been a waste of time and powder for me...thats any kind of 90. I do, however, have one more bbl I plan to try them in, if that fails, they all get sold. :)

There are, however, some folks that have gotten them to work. See some of the threads over on the long range forum where Jerry got them working well in his 223 palma stick

I've been thinking about using them in a 220 Swift or one of it's variants. The Swift will push an 80 gr @3100-3200fps. Which adds up to a pretty good long range round. So, a90gr might be even better.
Dave