• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone tried the 300 grain bergers?

strictlyRUM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2006
Redmond Oregon
I am trying to find anyone that has tried the new berger 338 300 grainers in a Cheytac or Snipetac. Just wondering if they hold up to the speed. I am in the process of gathering parts for a 338 cheytac and just wondering if I need to pick some up before they dissapear. Thanks

Jason

Re: Has anyone tried the 300 grain bergers?

Thanks I have read that allready. I am just wondering if someone has tried but hasnt posted yet. Thanks

Bryan Litz from Berger just posted on their website that the Hybrid is having issues with velocity over 3000. Gets nose slump and poor accuracy.

they only tested it to almost 3000 before production with an Edge. Now they have to go back and rework it.

They are working the issue.

Bottom line, right now I would not waste the money for anything that pushes them over 3000 fps.

BH

Bryan Litz from Berger just posted on their website that the Hybrid is having issues with velocity over 3000. Gets nose slump and poor accuracy.

they only tested it to almost 3000 before production with an Edge. Now they have to go back and rework it.

They are working the issue.

Bottom line, right now I would not waste the money for anything that pushes them over 3000 fps.

I just got a new 338 Big Baer (338-408) and have a 338 Lapua Ack Imp. Going to stay with the SMKs until the dust settles on the Bergers. Right now, they are not working for either one of those two.

BH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BountyHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just got a new 338 Big Baer (338-408) and have a 338 Lapua Ack Imp. Going to stay with the SMKs until the dust settles on the Bergers. Right now, they are not working for either one of those two.

BH </div></div>

BH,
You might be pleasantly surprised with the Lapua Scenars. I'm trying to get some time to go shoot the 338 Lapua to compare the SMK and Scenar against the Hybrid. Best safe velocity with N570 2800 fps for now.

I'm glad I read the post about above 3000, because I was saving the rest of the Hybrids waiting on the Xtreme dies to come in. Oh well..

strictlyrum,

There are alot of write ups over there on longrangehunting.com...Might want to go take a look...I know shawn carlock of defensive edge did a great write up and Bryan from Berger dropped some info as well and then a few guys worked up some loads playing with the bc's, one of them shot the berger at 1960 yards with his edge or lapua. Way too much info to talk about here, just take some time and search around there. I also know that berger made a mistake on the first BC and they have backed it down, go read, good stuff there

zman

I have read most everything over there. No one has pushed them with a cheytac derivitive. I am not interested in lapua or edge speeds. THanks tho. I also posted the same question over there. I tend to lean on these guys more. The reloading experience is much deaper over here. On that sight its all about speed and ejector marks. I like to keep things a bit safer. Dont get me wrong I like it hot, just not sticky bolt and ejector marks.

Jason

I've tried them loaded to magazine length for the AIAW w/ Bartlein 1/9.5" Gap chambered tube and at that coal they take more case capacity than the 300SMK at the same length. Further,at 3.600 the ogive is way too far back from the rifling.

I will try them at a substantially longer length and top feed them. Compared to the 300SMK using the identical load of Retumbo my velocities were within 20ft/sec of the 300SMK but the accuracy was not as good as the 300SMK. The Sierra's were metplated using one of D.Tubb's BMU.

I think berger has a lot of explaining to do with these bullets. i waited a year for theses bullets and have shot them with good results at 2700 fps, but not the best. i was told high .8 BC from the very start. how does berger write on the box a BC of .93 and then say they made a mistake and its only .81. that sound strange to me. thats a huge F-Up and with some simple field testing there BC theory was busted. i would like a refund on the 250 i purchased from berger. ill go back to shooting lapua 300 they are more accurate!!

I've put them down range twice now at distance, last week at 1760 yards pushing them at 2737 fps they where 1 click off of suggested retail in a 13mph wind. First round hit, put 5 of 6 shots on target. The key was seating depth, the extreme elongated shape allowed me to virtually soft seat,(figured this out thanks to a long distance guru in Flagstaff) 9.5 twist barrel. 3 for 3 at 1465 yards so they panned out for me.
Today a friend who had never shot past 500 hit a 2nd round impact at 1760, then pounded the plate into submission w/ my rig. 300 grain Bergers, They rock !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've put them down range twice now at distance, last week at 1760 yards pushing them at 2737 fps they where 1 click off of suggested retail in a 13mph wind. First round hit, put 5 of 6 shots on target. The key was seating depth, the extreme elongated shape allowed me to virtually soft seat,(figured this out thanks to a long distance guru in Flagstaff) 9.5 twist barrel. 3 for 3 at 1465 yards so they panned out for me.
Today a friend who had never shot past 500 hit a 2nd round impact at 1760, then pounded the plate into submission w/ my rig. 300 grain Bergers, They rock !!! </div></div>

JTG,

I'm glad you got the Bergers shooting good!

Great shooting!!! Sounds like you were slamming those plates well with the 300 Bergers.

Did your final over all length allow for mag feed? Did you notice less hold off for wind compared to the 250 Scenars?

Steve

JtG,,,where are you seating the 330 gr bergers?? I know some who have had awesome results seating them from .015 off the lands to kissing right up on the lands...Just wondering where you had luck...I dont know what soft seating means????

also if youre using h1000,,,how many grains...Ive seen 93 gr down to 91.5 gr in 1 laupa and 1 edge.....

zman

I would stay with the SMK's!

JTG,
Please explain what you mean by "soft seat" Also, what barrel are you shooting in 9.5 twist?

THANKS!

Soft seating means:
Less neck tension, just a tad more than what would allow you to push the bullet into the case by thumb pressure on the point.

Seated out longer than touching lands depth and allowing the rifling to seat the bullet back to a "touching" depth.

Advantages:
Bullets at the lands repeatedly. Consistent. Proven technique for 1000yrd competitive shooting.

Disadvantages:
Bullets can be held by rifling, and when bolt retracted, case pulls back and separates from the bullet, dumping powder into the action/trigger/bolt recesses.

FWIW,