• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Has anyone used a Vortex Strikefire red dot?

Jester8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Bis. No.Dak.
Was looking at these through SWFA, and would like like to get a red dot from my carbine. Comes with a 2x magnifier, $149.99. If anyone has seen, or used this optic please chime in, I would like to hear the pros and cons.

Re: Has anyone used a Vortex Strikefire red dot?

I searched WAY into the archives to find these posts from yesterday.
wink.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1642901#Post1642901

But to add my 2 cents, I've heard from a few additional users that it's a heck of an optic for only $150. It's probably no Aimpoint, but it's about $500 less, so if you're only having fun then I say go for it.

I know, I know, I need to start using the search function...thanks alot bud!

cool, might have to get one and play with it. If it's no good then it'll just go on the 22.

My buddy has one on his sabre defense AR and its a pretty nice optic for the price. Like the other poster said its probably not as built as a Aimpoint but for fun range stuff I don't see a reason to spend more. That is unless you want to look cool...

The only thing I don't like about it is the dot is 5 MOA (I believe) and it pretty much covers the target at 100 yards... but he was ringing steel at 300 and 400 yards pretty easily with it...

The dot is 4 moa which is pretty standard for red dot optics ,although 2 moa is becoming pretty popular especially with more and more people using magnifiers. On a side note our SPARC will have a 2 moa dot.

Scott

I checked out the show room at vortex yesterday. The SPARC is a very nice unit that comes with a 2x adapter. The sparc seemed to have more intensity adjustments. All nice stuff and after my last deployment I don't trust Aimpoint anymore.

What's the battery life on these two optics?

The strikefire uses both green and red dot. 120hrs red 530hrs green at max intensity, average is 1600 and 1800 hours. The Sparc is red only I believe and battery life is 120 hrs max intense. Average is 1300 hours.

The average battery life on the StrikeFire is around 2200 hrs. Depending what setting you use it on it will last up to 4300 hrs on low normal setting and down below a couple hundred hours if on max the whole time. The SPARC is very similar to the StikeFire numbers ,but uses a much smaller battery(cr2354).

Scott

I have had a Strikefire on my Armalite A4 carbine for about a year. I like the red or green dot and the variable illumination intensity but I wouldn't buy another. I used it in a 2 day carbine course last fall. The red dot began to turn off when I fired. It appears the recoil was moving the battery inside the compartment enough to break contact with the battery terminals. Needless to say it was extremely frustrating. I played with the spring and the tightness of the cap and got it to stay on better than it was but it would still occasionally turn off. After the class I sent it back to Vortex and they sent me a new one. It works like it should now but I haven't shot near as many rounds with the replacement as I did in the carbine course. Last gripe; There is an annoying reflection from the lens when aiming into a dark area from a lightened area with light behind you. YMMV.