• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has/does anyone use a Redding Instant Indicator for checking HS?

B40EBB78-AB58-47EB-8330-7F4997EB9E23.jpeg

I use them for every cartridge that I reload.
They’re handy because all you need to do is zero the dial indicator with the dummy that’s included and the run your fired brass up into it. To the left of zero is under minimum head space (shorter) and to the right of zero is over minimum head space (longer).

This simplifies checking shoulder bump, for me anyway.

Before I got souvenired a Bonanza CoAx press, I had my instant indicators set up on dedicated turrets for my T7 press. I could resize on one station and swing the turret to check the shoulder bump with the instant indicator.

9AD37375-5D89-4ED3-A56D-FF85788F3B28.jpeg

From what I understand, the newer instant indicators come with a cap that screws into the bottom so no press is needed.

If you check a piece of fired brass and is .002 over minimum head space and you adjust your sizing die for .002 bump, your resized brass should measure “0”, or minimum head space on the dial indicator.

Everyone I know that gotten an instant indicator has been amazed to find out how much the were overworking their brass.
And you don’t need more than one dial indicator unless you plan to use more than one at a time. I’m a retired mechanic and already had a bunch of dial indicators.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I ordered one to try out with my .300 WM reloading chores. If it works well, may get ones for the other 5 calibers I reload for. Do you check every piece of brass after sizing? Or do you spot check?

I only check about every 5th piece, but it’s quick for me because I’ve got it set up in another press.

You’ll be surprised at what you find.

A buddy got one for his 300WM and was amazed by the reduction in sizing effort when he got his die setting squared away.

I only check about every 5th piece, but it’s quick for me because I’ve got it set up in another press.

You’ll be surprised at what you find.

A buddy got one for his 300WM and was amazed by the reduction in sizing effort when he got his die setting squared away.
I have an Innovative Technologies Digital Headspace Gauge, but I am not very confident in it due to having to twist the case by hand. I may just be extra anal about things.