• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has HF digital calipers dropped in quality?

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
So I bought one of those Harbor Freight digital calipers that people rave about. I got the old one 2 years ago. The price was right and the quality of the caliper actually exceeded my expectations. It is very accurate and repeatable. Today I decided to get another one since they had it on sale for $20. The packaging looks exactly the same. Even the picture of the caliper on the box was the same as the old one.

When I got home to take a look at it, it was definitely a new version. Here are the changes that I noticed on the new one. Top caliper is the new one, bottom caliper is the old one.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cosmetic Changes</span>
1. The body is no longer black but silver.
2. The case is different
3. The numbering on the slide is a different font
4. Instead of one screw the prevents the center slide from coming out on the back, it is now a crossbar.
5. The back no longer has a conversion chart but a crappy useless sticker with the brand "Cen-tech" on it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Functional Changes</span>
1. When sliding the jaw down the body, it feels more "rough" than the old version. The older caliper feels REALLY smooth and nice when opening the jaw up.

2. The new one has lag time when the digital readout is displayed. For example, when you slide the jaw down the body at a constant rate, the read out skips from 1.567 to 2.829 to 3.719. The old one has no lag time and reads really fast. It displays the number very quickly thus showing the measurements in smaller increments as you move.

It's a bit hard to explain but think of the old version like a Rolex watch where the second hand "rolls" instead of ticking from second to second.

3. The new version no longer powers on from a off state when the jaw is opened. The old one is more convenient because you don't have to keep pushing the power button when it shuts off.

4. The new LCD screen contrast is not as nice as the old one.

5. The font size of the readout appears to be a little bit smaller than the old one.

I can live with the cosmetic change, but the functional change is annoying as hell. Have anyone bought a set of these recently and can confirm this? I'm thinking about going back and try to find the older version.

Here are pictures of the two in question. The new version is on top and the old version is on the bottom.

2vjzbya.jpg

zl3j8i.jpg

Re: Has HF digital calipers dropped in quality?

At the HB at here in Idaho they offer both of the ones that you have and they are usually 15 bucks. I take them to a machine shop here where they test for accuracy. If they are 1/1000 off I take them back to HB and get a new one.

Also on the new one they have internal tension screws very small give them one turn out and they should glide more nicely. Don't loosen them to much or they will have a slight cant and will throw your readings.

The old one is made by a middle age american on minimum wage with benefits and a 401K.

The newer one is made by an illegal alien for about 3.00 an hour.

This must be the "Change" everyone was talking about.

Since when is hf equated with quality? You bought them because they were cheap, duh!

Change is a fresh mag.....

Nessal, I suspect the changes you found are normal manufactoring changes as shop tools are changed or updated, not a changed supplier or a significant design change.

So far as I can tell, all of the various reloading branded calipers are exactly the same as my Chinese made Harbor Freight's but they cost a lot more, especially so for the RCBS model. And that means some of our big suppliers seem to think they are quite sufficent for reloading.

I have both "pro" quality calipers and several HF calipers. I got the first HF and found it to be fully as accurate as my Swedish made tool. None of the later ones I've bought are off more than a half thousant. Any measurement need tighter than that needs a micrometer, not a more expensive caliper!

Since dropping any of them is likely to destroy fine accuracy, I bought more HFs, dial and digital, to reduce tool replacement costs with no loss in practical accuracy. I know of some pro machine shops that are going the same way. A reloader's needs are much less stringent than a machine shop.

I paid about $12 for my HF digitals when on "sale" as they often are.

My 12 year old Chink dial ("Midway" labeled) 6" caliper is exactly the same as my newer and lower cost HF dial calipers.

Starrett dial calipers. I've never seen the need for digital readout.

My Mitutoyo dial calipers I picked up off Ebay for $25 shipped to my door.

You can pick up good quality Starett and Mitutoyo calipers off there at HF prices if your patient and look!

Terry

Nessal, I removed my well-intentioned post. Upon re-reading, it came across as a lecture rather than addressing your question about HF quality. I have no experience with HF calipers. My apologies, sir.

Fuzzball, use whatever you believe in. Can't argue with your results. I am anal about metrology though. I do it for a living but I'm not sure that I would call myself a pro. Why do I spend thousands on a custom rifle/optics when a $300 rifle with open sights will kill a deer just as dead?

Although I write the programs for the high-end measurement equipment, I do still reach for the calipers as back-up. I admit, though, that my calipers at home are not calibrated annually, nor do I perform a Gauge R & R on them as required for my Lab equipment. If I did so, I'm sure that my variance would be greater than .0005".
wink.gif

Happy reloading to you.

"Fuzzball, use whatever you believe in. Can't argue with your results. I am anal about metrology though. I do it for a living but I'm not sure that I would call myself a pro."

No contest. Basically, my caliper appraisals apply to reloading, not pro or even semipro mechanists; that's a whole different level of use. But, drop any of 'em on a concrete shop floor and the brand won't matter.

Most of the high grade tools I've seen on eBay sold pretty high and there is no guarantee; you may get a great tool or you may get something damaged. Given my results with HF calipers and mics, as proven by my Jo blocks, and knowing I could easily swap anything that doesn't work correctly, I'd rather not spend much on an eBay tool of any brand.

We all make our own choice and pay our money!

I've gotten some decent stuff from Harbor Freight, but they sell a lot of junk too. You can't expect anything too great for their prices.