• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has Leupold upped their game, or sponsored more shooters?

oldnewguy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2021
TX
I was flipping through the list of top ranked PRS shooters last night, checking out the gear they had listed. I was surprised to see as many Leupolds as any other optic, certainly more than Vortex and NF combined. When I checked out at the last What the Pros Use article, not a single shooter in the Top 125 was running a Leupold.

Just thought it was interesting.

Upped their sponsorships a lot. The mk5hd is what they’re all using and it’s a decent scope. Not a tangent, ZCO, ATACR or gen 3 razor, but they only cost 2k
ETA: Found this meme and figured it fits
70873878-113B-4573-A86B-ECDC52C2142B.jpeg

Last edited:
I was flipping through the list of top ranked PRS shooters last night, checking out the gear they had listed. I was surprised to see as many Leupolds as any other optic, certainly more than Vortex and NF combined. When I checked out at the last What the Pros Use article, not a single shooter in the Top 125 was running a Leupold.

It's a combination of the MK5HD, PR2 reticle and listening to the shooters. It's the reason that we decided to carry them starting last year :)

Reactions: Bigrederic

Most of the gear in that series is going to be sponsored because vendors know people go to that site to check out what the pros use.

I like and shoot leupolds. I think they come a long way since the old mk4's and for the mil pricing I really can't justify spending 2 to 3 times more for something better.

If somebody else was footing the bill, I would probably go with NF.

Yea no doubt. But the tops guys aren't using junk either for PRS. I think thats what alot of people who don't understand the sport think. There is a baseline for acceptable equipment. You won't find many guys shooting a scope under $1K-1.5K and placing in the top 30-50. The difference between a MK5 and ZCO is not going to result in a difference of points for the top shooter when the difference is points is really about wind, speed in and our of positional shooting and brains of the shooter. For a newer shooter they are more forgiving for things like parallax, fov and eyebox.

For rimfire, equipment buys points and I have seen it first hand.

With that being said, you can pry the ZCO's from my cold dead hands.

Both. They made a quality and affordable optic with the mk5 and they dove head first into marketing via sponsorships be it individual shooters or prize tables.

Like it or not, Leupold has been around a very, very long time and knows how to sell products.

And the mk5 ain’t junk.

Mike Lilly dropped a new MK5 on the table (along with a bunch of other leupold stuff) at one of our local 1 day matches for random raffle. Say what you will about leupold, but they support the PRS/NRL events very well. That goodwill sells a ton of optics.

Also getting your ass beat by a 15 year old shooting a MK5 will humble some dudes.

Last edited:
I'd say it's about sponsorships. 20 years ago I was the biggest Leupy fanboy, but learned my lesson. Now, if Leupy gave me free optics I might change my opinion about them. Maybe. even though I've done many glass tests on my own and know that they are not the best glass by any stretch.

But hell, that's human nature. Like Charles Barkley said, "I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan."

I'd say it's about sponsorships. 20 years ago I was the biggest Leupy fanboy, but learned my lesson. Now, if Leupy gave me free optics I might change my opinion about them. Maybe. even though I've done many glass tests on my own and know that they are not the best glass by any stretch.

But hell, that's human nature. Like Charles Barkley said, "I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan."

At lower $2k it’s hard to beat in its class for the performance.

Reactions: GUNNER10
The XTR3, MK5 and Gen 2 razor are all comparable performance wise at similar price points. Some do somethings better than others but they are all reliable/durable enough for PRS, have good reticles and have good glass.

Leupold was pretty much dead in the precision rifle realm for the last 10-15 years until they came out with the MK5.

Its a good scope and alot of people who aren't sponsored run them.

Yes, sponered shooters and Advertising help, but if they didn't work well people would figure that out fast and shitcan them. People do not continue to use poor gear in this sport very long.

How much time do you have behind a Mk5? If your only frame of reference is 20 year old Mk4s- then yeah I get the hate. I don’t care for any other scope line they make, but the Mk5 is a very good scope.

Reactions: CSTactical
Ah shit, now Counter-Sniper is going to start sponsoring shooters and flooding awards tables, just you wait!

The XTR3, MK5 and Gen 2 razor are all comparable performance wise at similar price points. Some do somethings better than others but they are all reliable/durable enough for PRS, have good reticles and have good glass.

Leupold was pretty much dead in the precision rifle realm for the last 10-15 years until they came out with the MK5.

Its a good scope and alot of people who aren't sponsored run them.

Yes, sponered shooters and Advertising help, but if they didn't work well people would figure that out fast and shitcan them. People do not continue to use poor gear in this sport very long.

Yeah, I think that between, the Mk5's Mil contracts as well as its presence in PRS events, I think that the Mk5 has cemented its reputation as solid optic. I think that though leupolds various discount program it gets really hard to justify spending an extra grand for to step up into that next class of optics, especially if one needs multiple optics.

Its sort of like a comparing a staccato to a glock 19, the staccato is going to be nicer in every regard but at a fraction of the price, but the glock will get the job done for 99 percent of shooters.

....IMHO, the scopes in use only contribute to the win...or loss. The winners of the day have done so because their "system" and their "management & utilization" of said system was finely tuned or balanced that day. System isn't just the hard equipment, but also shooters attitude, skill and ability to adapt & apply those skills as required.

....IMHO, the scopes in use only contribute to the win...or loss. The winners of the day have done so because their "system" and their "management & utilization" of said system was finely tuned or balanced that day. System isn't just the hard equipment, but also shooters attitude, skill and ability to adapt & apply those skills as required.

definitely,

Most of these guys in the PRS could probably steam roll me with a super sniper just purely based on how much time they are putting in.

definitely,

Most of these guys in the PRS could probably steam roll me with a super sniper just purely based on how much time they are putting in.

Trust me, the top guys are always looking towards gear to make them more efficient. I'm only a fly on the wall personally but I see, hear the conversations often. - Richard

We had the opportunity to compare several scopes the other day at a range. Now granted, this was not an all inclusive test absolutely everything scope test, we were basically looking at a pile of rocks below the 1000 yard target and reading numbers and bullet marks on steel at distance. We tested TT, ZCO, MK5, Burris XTR Pro, Kahles 5-25 and the Burris XTR3. I was pleasantly shocked as to how well the Mk5 held its own honestly. This was 3 high level PRS shooters with pro match wins and all 3 chose the TT first and the XTR3 last, the ZCO was second and honestly to me it wasnt a close second to the TT as I would have though, as I used to own a ZCO and really liked it. Two shooters picked the MK5 next and the other the Kahles. For me, the Leupold was the biggest shock of the day. All 3 of us shoot TT but I would not be opposed to shooting a Mk5 at all, maybe I got lucky and snagged a good one, IDK but I am pleased with it.

Unless you setup every scope to your eye, IE set the diopter which can take a while to dial it in, these scope tests or looking through others peoples shit means nothing.

It took me a while to get the ZCO just right after shooting through a bunch of different environments. Having owned the TT and ZCO size by side, I thought the ZCO was actually better. Different people see things differently and one guy may like a warmer or brighter picture and another likes a cooler picture. The ZCO and TT are honestly splitting hairs.

The other thing is sample variation. With the cheaper scopes (Not alpha) you can get one scope that looks significantly better than the same scope sitting next to it. This was super common with the gen 2 razor and Kahles across generations.

This was 3 high level PRS shooters with pro match wins and all 3 chose the TT first and the XTR3 last, the ZCO was second and honestly to me it wasnt a close second to the TT as I would have though, as I used to own a ZCO and really liked it.

Interesting that you say that. Looking at the profiles of the current top ~50 shooters, I see one ZCO and a dozen or so TT optics.

Reactions: deersniper
Unless you setup every scope to your eye, IE set the diopter which can take a while to dial it in, these scope tests or looking through others peoples shit means nothing.

It took me a while to get the ZCO just right after shooting through a bunch of different environments. Having owned the TT and ZCO size by side, I thought the ZCO was actually better. Different people see things differently and one guy may like a warmer or brighter picture and another likes a cooler picture. The ZCO and TT are honestly splitting hairs.

The other thing is sample variation. With the cheaper scopes (Not alpha) you can get one scope that looks significantly better than the same scope sitting next to it. This was super common with the gen 2 razor and Kahles across generations.
We did set up the diopters on each scope. I really thought the XTR3 would fare better than it did and the Pro was noticeably better than the XTR3 and I wonder if I didn’t just get one of the XTR3s that was on the low end. I had a ZCO and TT at the same time and I completely agree that they seemed like splitting hairs on glass at the time But this one didn’t seem as crisp as the one I had. I wish we would have had a Gen 2 and Gen 3 Razor to compare at the same time. I also agree different people see and like different things from their scope, for instance a lot of people love the Kahles and I have never liked it, it just doesn’t look good to me at all but I am sure its amazing for some people.

Trust me, the top guys are always looking towards gear to make them more efficient. I'm only a fly on the wall personally but I see, hear the conversations often. - Richard
I agree, but just like any gear driven activity, the competitors are naturally going to look for stuff that simply works better. With this being said, most of those guys at the higher levers are really good at what they do and can really identify and appreciate the benefits that come with shooting the latest offering of high end optic.

I just think that for your average shooter, they may benefit frommore trigger time and a solid optic than less trigger time and a God tier optic. Of course all things being equal.

Reactions: RRW and deersniper
We had the opportunity to compare several scopes the other day at a range. Now granted, this was not an all inclusive test absolutely everything scope test, we were basically looking at a pile of rocks below the 1000 yard target and reading numbers and bullet marks on steel at distance. We tested TT, ZCO, MK5, Burris XTR Pro, Kahles 5-25 and the Burris XTR3. I was pleasantly shocked as to how well the Mk5 held its own honestly. This was 3 high level PRS shooters with pro match wins and all 3 chose the TT first and the XTR3 last, the ZCO was second and honestly to me it wasnt a close second to the TT as I would have though, as I used to own a ZCO and really liked it. Two shooters picked the MK5 next and the other the Kahles. For me, the Leupold was the biggest shock of the day. All 3 of us shoot TT but I would not be opposed to shooting a Mk5 at all, maybe I got lucky and snagged a good one, IDK but I am pleased with it.

Cool,

I think that optics have gone through a few era's at this point, I think for the type of shooting that alot of us do here,

you had the 90's leupold era, the 2000's NF and SB era, the 2010's, Vortex emerges and most companies start to understand when needs to go into a tactical optic. 2020's are here and you have companies like TT and ZCO that knock it out of there park, alot of really good options available for those shooters that might not be in that price range.

Mike Lilly dropped a new MK5 on the table (along with a bunch of other leupold stuff) at one of our local 1 day matches for random raffle. Say what you will about leupold, but they support the PRS/NRL events very well. That goodwill sells a ton of optics.

Also getting your ass beat by a 15 year old shooting a MK5 will humble some dudes.
15 year old named Jake by any chance?