• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes has leupold upped their game?

GUNNER10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2005
Va
ok, looking to pick up a second long range scope for my 300wm, and i have been going back and forth a bit over what scope i may want to pick up.

right now here are my thoughts,
SS 5-20, allways a solid preformer, has FFP, illum, rectical, and elevation that i need

NF 5-22, have shot NF, for the past few years, and have never had an issue, would like to go FFP, dont like the F1's max power.

leupold mk4 34mm ER/T or mk8 3-25, off of promotive

ok, a few weeks back i got the chance to compare my NSX (8-32x56) to the new mk8 3-25, and i have to say that i am impressed, the Mk8's glass was clearly nicer, and has got me thinking that with all the options, plus the nicer glass it may be worth it to upgrade considering leupolds mil program vs NF's

even looking at some of the 34mm ER/Ts that are on the 2010's i have to say that at least opticaly i THINK that they look much better than the old mk4's on the m110's and m24's

when some of the PSR's rifles start showing up here in the next month or so, ill get a chance to mess around with some of the S&B's to see how they compare to the mk8's in terms of value.

i was just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on some of leuolds latest efforts.

Re: has leupold upped their game?

I think the HNIC on this site reviewed the 34mm 5-20? power model with the horus reticule and said it was good. Local store to me has a 1-8 cqbss and it's impressive. on paper the 3-18 model looks great too. However all of the above options are cost prohibitive to me.

Re: has leupold upped their game?

Leupy has certainly ATTEMPTED to up its game with the introduction of the Mk6 and Mk8 lineups (and revisions to the Mk4), as well as by adding features for which shooters have been asking for YEARS. Unfortunately, they have also thrown themselves into a whole new class of optics in terms of price which, combined with broken Mk4 scopes and other Leupy QC issues I've had in the past, gives me a lot of reservations about dropping that kind of coin at this point. Only time will tell if the QUALITY is there to back up the new scopes/features/options/price/etc.

I recently (last Fall) got to shoot a rifle equipped with the 1.1-8x and I have to admit that it was quite nice (and it damn well should be for the money)! The magnification range was perfect for the rifle it was mounted on, the optics were crisp and clean, and the adjustments I made (admittedly I didn't box test the scope or run it hard) were accurate and repeatable. All in all, it seemed to be a well-built, high quality optic. Again, I'll reserve judgment until I've seen how they hold up over time and getting run hard, but IMO, Leupy is at least ATTEMPTING to move in the right direction insofar as their "Tactical" line of optics is concerned.