• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has rcbs gone down in QC or was always bad?

Bmghunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2020
Usa
What the title says.
I bought a few rcbs items in the past two years or so and had several issues. One order came directly from rcbs. That order came missing one of the two items in my order and took them months to ship it. The other item was their concentricity gauge and the orientation of the needle was wrong. Lucky it was an easy fix.
Today I got their primer swage die set. The small primer base piece didn't fit in my press. The small part of the shank that connects to my press is over sized by one thou. I mic it and it was .4335. I mic the large primer one and it was .4315. I mic my press and it's .4325. all my other case holders fit in my press, so it leads me to believe this one piece is out of spec. Spent 15 minutes with a filer and sand paper to fix it. That thing must be carbide because the filer did not work on it well, even when I chuck it into a drill.
So is RCBS QC not really that good? Did I get unlucky?

Doesn't sound like they care.
Worth asking. I have a Rockchucker from the 90's and needed some spare parts, spring and nylon bush. I was happy to pay but the sent them FOC to the UK no problem. The shipping cost more than the parts were worth. I'd call that good service.

Worth asking. I have a Rockchucker from the 90's and needed some spare parts, spring and nylon bush. I was happy to pay but the sent them FOC to the UK no problem. The shipping cost more than the parts were worth. I'd call that good service.

Yeah I have had very good experience with their CS also. That isn't what the OP asked though.

Yeah I have had very good experience with their CS also. That isn't what the OP asked though.
Not directly, the point I was making is if you have an issue ask them. They then are aware of said issue, have a chance to put it right and rectify any QC issues. I'm confident that the outcome will be positive. Anecdotally I've not noticed any changes over 30+ years for what it's worth but I'm sure all manufacturers put out the odd out of spec item. May just be bad luck ;)

Not directly, the point I was making is if you have an issue ask them. They then are aware of said issue, have a chance to put it right and rectify any QC issues. I'm confident that the outcome will be positive. Anecdotally I've not noticed any changes over 30+ years for what it's worth but I'm sure all manufacturers put out the odd out of spec item. May just be bad luck ;)
Yeah I get it. Good CS speaks well for them. I would definitely ask them about it and I would also say as you did, that they are very likely to make it right, as has been both our experiences.

Reactions: Gogga
Is it worth my time to have them make it right in 2 months when I can fix the issues in 15 min?

The RCBS stuff I bought in the 70's was really good. Over the last 20 years, not so much.

I have placed 6 orders with them directly in the last 2 years and have not had any problems with service, shipping speed or quality of the parts.

I think their QC has suffered just like almost every other company. The thing that bothers me about the. Is after they got bought by a huge conglomerate they shipped all their casting equipment to China. Now all of their castings are made there and finish machined here. Thats why RCBS presses went unobtainable during Covid, all the castings were stuck on a ship.