• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has the M24 ever been issued in 300WM?

Chris F

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2003
USA
I know that the M24 was produced in the M700LA with the intent of allowing barrelling in 300WM. But back when the folks that I knew were playing with these, no one had ever seen one in 300WM in the troops hands.

Has that ever come to pass? Are there troops that actually are shooting 300WM M24's?

Related to that, are any of these switch barrel? Spare bolt, user changeable barrel?

Re: Has the M24 ever been issued in 300WM?

From my understanding the Army never really owned the M24's they leased them through Remington and would have to send them to Remington to rebarrel to 300WM. They bought a big maintenance contract with Remington to service the rifle.

I believe some Special Forces ODA's had some in the 300WM and used them in Afghanistan.

There are no switch barrels for the M24.

The ODA guys I saw in Afghanistan used AI rifles in 300WM.
I never saw a remington.
But I suppose it could have been a remington 300WM in a AI stock.

Back when I was on the teams you could get a 300WM, but it wasn't something on the teams MTOE, you had to order it from the warehouse in KY (I believe that's where it's located, somewhere near Ft. Knox). Anyways, any of your special items that you wanted like the 300 WM's, Barrets, or MP5's could be requested and hand receipted out of this place for an extended period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Mark 13 in various mods to include suppressors, built by Crane from a Model 700 long action in an AI chassis system, has been around for quite a while. See:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1439767
</div></div>
If you follow this thread and on to another one you will find all you ever wanted to know about the Mark 13 - 300WM. And, I believe that is what Kaspermj was spekaing of. He saw it in a AICS stock.

Thanks Lindy.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...209#Post1376209

Army has already had some M24s in 300WM before this latest push to convert more of them. I dont know of any or many in Big Army but they are/were out there in other places.
I had one, among many other options, in OIF3. We use them on other trips but that deployment was the only one where I regularly used it. I usually just stick with a 762 M24 since ammo was much easier to acquire, or my latest love/hate favorite, a SR25 for the past few. I like it since I got quick follow up shots with lots of ammo and very fast reloads. Plus the foreward rail for NVG optics.
My 300 was a freaky accurate tack driver. I could regularly shoot 1x1" post it notes at 300m. Set in a Mac A3 with a way too light (for my preference) 1.5 trigger, I surely liked it. Shooting into winds, holdoffs are like cheating.
18E, I think you are referring to the Jos loans, they publish a catalog of lots of neat gear to sign out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...209#Post1376209

18E, I think you are referring to the Jos loans, they publish a catalog of lots of neat gear to sign out. </div></div>

Yup, that's it, the JOS warehouse. Everything from guns to generators to radios and antennas.

Thanks guys.
That's more than I had hoped for. I still need to go read the referenced threads, but from what I'm reading on this one, the Navy's Mk13 is more common. The M24 300WM has been available in for limited use for "special" folk?

I'll go read that Mk13 thread now.

The 10th Mountain Division has Mark 13s on loan from the United States Special Operations Command Joint Operational Stocks via the Leg Army G3.

The 25th Infantry Division requested their M24s be re-barreled and retained (vice losing them due to M110 fielding) -- the Army has agreed and the .300 M24 is the bridge to the Precision Long Range Sniper System. M24s are on-hand and the new ammo will serve as an in-system compromise.

The USSOCOM 33-caliber rifle system is the goal, and Leg Army will strap-hang on USASOC's requirement.

The Army Marksmanship Unit re-barreled three M24s from 7.62 to 300 for the 5th Special Forces Group's Sniper Locker. I don't remember if these kept the conventional HS stock but the rifles were provided with suppressors and MARS rails (for clip-on night vision and lasers).

Crane and a specified Army - USSOCOM Depot usually provide Mark 13s to SOCOM customers directly or via contract.